Whose tax plan will save you more money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:55:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Whose tax plan will save you more money?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Whose tax plan will save you more money?
Obama's

McCain's

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Whose tax plan will save you more money?  (Read 9421 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »

If I were a US resident, then Obama's plan lightens the tax burden significantly.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 06:19:14 PM »

Obama's in the near future. As for my parents, McCain.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »

If I were a US resident, then Obama's plan lightens the tax burden significantly.

Campaign lie really. Obama is to the left of Pelosi and Kennedy.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 06:47:21 PM »

Maybe personally, but not his voting record. Obama is too much of a people pleasing status climber to ever actually challenge the 'status quo' in any significant way. Although in some ways that's obviously a good thing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »

Obamas' plan will indirectly increase taxes on the middle class and working class by taxing companies so much that prices will increase as a result.

Whereas McCain will just do it straight out. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of supply-side.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »

If the stats in an image that was borrowed from another guy's sig can be trusted then Obama.  Although I don't vote my pocketbook nor am I even considering voting for either of these jokers.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »

Damn, the people on this forum tend to be skewed to the wealthy side.

This is news? I'd have to guess 80%+ of the forum comes from an upper middle class suburban family.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »

The chart comes from this article from Money Magazine:

Link
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »

The chart comes from this article from Money Magazine:

Link

The chart itself originally ran in the Washington Post, although I don't have a link for it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »

If my income were 4 times what it currently is, it'd be a draw.....
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

If you go by that wrong chart Obama but in reality McCain's plan doesn't raise taxes so him over Obama which will be huge tax increases on people making over $42,000 (and that number could be lower, can't exactly remember).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Being to "the left" generally does mean supporting higher taxes for the wealthy and lower taxes for the poor and middle class.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »

If you go by that wrong chart Obama but in reality McCain's plan doesn't raise taxes so him over Obama which will be huge tax increases on people making over $42,000 (and that number could be lower, can't exactly remember).

The number is about SIX TIMES THAT......

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 04:51:43 AM »

Obama isn't raising taxes on anyone making under $200,000 or $250,000 for a family. Only way a tax increase could affect lower income families is if he actually goes through with the windfall profits tax.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 04:54:14 AM »

Obama isn't raising taxes on anyone making under $200,000 or $250,000 for a family. Only way a tax increase could affect lower income families is if he actually goes through with the windfall profits tax.

Well to be fair to MasterJedi, he can't remember the number that the McCain campaign made up.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2008, 08:19:21 AM by Dave Leip »

What Obama says he'll do isn't what his plan would actually do. You think he'd really come out and say he'd do that?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »

What will Obama's plan actually do, Jedi?

This is what is wrong with American politics... everybody votes out of fear.  Instead of drinking the kool-aid that the Republican machine gives to you, why don't you research the economic policies proposed by both parties and how past economic policies of the two parties have affected the economy and who was better off.

Doing that has led me to the Democrats.  They have sounder spending principles that lead to less debt, better education, and more equality. 

There is a time when supply side economic policy is beneficial, like it was in the early 80s.  Those policies have run their course and now they are only hurting America.  We need demand side policies and government investment into our ailing schools and infrastructure to make America strong again.

That will require a tax increase for the most well off and a modest tax cut for the rest of us.

When you rely on the lower and middle class to pay the brunt of hte taxes, like the current system, those said classes get angry and bitter and start pushing for lower taxes at all costs.  If the tax system is fair, people feel a lot better about it.

Ugh, there's so much more I could go on about.. but I'm not changing anybody's mind.

But I guess when you're not living in reality, but instead in a Rush Limbaugh world.. the economy could be performing top notch and schools could be improving and our roads getting paved and things would still be bad, just because a Democrat is heading it up.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 02:46:58 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2008, 02:55:12 AM by sbane »

What Obama says he'll do isn't what his plan would actually do. You think he'd really come out and say he'd do that?

Ooh Mr. conspiracy theorist here.  So what exactly would Obama's plan do since you can apparently read minds now. Seriously, cutting taxes on the rich made sense in the 80's when the top tax rate was 70%. Thus by reducing taxes we actually increased revenues. But see the laffer curve has an optimum level of taxation, which changes with changes in spending. Since we are spending more now ( Iraq), we should have actually seen some tax increases instead of a tax cut. So that led to deficit spending which predictably led to inflation, which is just a hidden tax on the poors and middle class.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »

For right now with me, strong Obama.

For parents, slight Obama.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »

When you rely on the lower and middle class to pay the brunt of hte taxes, like the current system, those said classes get angry and bitter and start pushing for lower taxes at all costs.  If the tax system is fair, people feel a lot better about it.

This is nothing but a myth. The wealthy already pay most of tax revenue, and they always have.
In the fiscal year 2006, the latest data is available from, the top 1%, aka those making more than $388,806 paid 39.89% of all income tax revenue. The top 10%, those making above $108,904, paid 70.79%. The top 50% paid almost all income tax revenue, at 97.01%. Any suggestion that the 'lower and middle classes' pay the brunt of taxes is delusion at best, and deception at worst.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »

This is nothing but a myth. The wealthy already pay most of tax revenue, and they always have.
In the fiscal year 2006, the latest data is available from, the top 1%, aka those making more than $388,806 paid 39.89% of all income tax revenue. The top 10%, those making above $108,904, paid 70.79%. The top 50% paid almost all income tax revenue, at 97.01%. Any suggestion that the 'lower and middle classes' pay the brunt of taxes is delusion at best, and deception at worst.

Let me guess, they look only at federal income taxes and ignore other federal taxes and all state and local taxes?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

Let me guess, they look only at federal income taxes and ignore other federal taxes and all state and local taxes?
Upon a quick glance at the information on the website, you are quite correct, Jfern.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »

When you take into account all taxes and fees paid to the government, the middle and lower classes pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes.  The only tax that fairly addresses this inequality is the progressive income tax.

I know that doesn't fit into your little "conservative economics will save the world" worldview.. but oh well.

Might I add that your usage of only federal income taxes and absolute numbers it he delusion and the deceptive tactic here.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »

And Jfraud can go away now.

Ah so you feel the need to tell a BOLD FACED LIE instead
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »

Come on Jedi I am waiting for my answer. what will Obama's plan really do
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length