Whose tax plan will save you more money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:18:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Whose tax plan will save you more money?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Whose tax plan will save you more money?
Obama's

McCain's

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Whose tax plan will save you more money?  (Read 9422 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:02 AM »

THE QUESTION IS YOU, NOT YOUR PARENTS.

From Porce's sig:

The answer for me is Obama, so I'm voting for him. The tax rate for anyone richer than me is something I will never ever care about and I'll never have any sympathy for anyone making more money than me in financial matters.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:22:31 AM »

I'm ignoring the first part, as most posters will.  A vast majority of us do not have a salary and are still entirely dependent parts of our families.

I don't have a salary either, I get paid hourly. Yet I am not dependent on my family.

And "vast" majority? I doubt it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:38:25 AM »

We've already determined the average age to be below 20 by all those age polls.  We've also determined the forum to be consisting of very few, if any, people who are not attending, did not attend, or do not plan to attend college.  How many college aged males do you know of with a steady pay amounting to anything worth noting while not claiming to be dependent on their parents (officially through taxes or unofficially)?

Plenty. A good number of people at my job fall into this category.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:43:26 AM »

No. My point though being it's not unusual.

Whatever the case, it's amusing when people dependent on their parents call someone not dependent on their parents (me) immature.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:34:12 AM »

Considering that if Obama gets elected it'll be alongside a sizable Dem majority in Congress, his "tax cut" plans will be chucked out the window, this graph does not impress me.

Not to mention McCain's cuts for the rich will bolster tax revenue and the economy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:50:51 AM »

Obama's plan would save me money. Nevertheless, I agree with fezzy that I don't vote for candidates in order to save money. The Georgian conflict saw any chance of me ever supporting Obama go right out the window. Sorry to go off track like that. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:54:06 AM »

Obama's plan would save me money. Nevertheless, I agree with fezzy that I don't vote for candidates in order to save money. The Georgian conflict saw any chance of me ever supporting Obama go right out the window. Sorry to go off track like that. Tongue

That conflict is Obama's fault?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:15:04 AM »

What I said was half-hyperbolic. Wink My point is that I was disappointed by Obama merely calling for a ceasefire. I found Russia bullying Georgia to be despicable, & I was happy that McCain condemned Russia for that. I'm usually not one to care for words, but that makes me wonder if Obama actually understood what was happening or if he just rattled off a standard anti-conflict statement.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:43:12 AM »

What I said was half-hyperbolic. Wink My point is that I was disappointed by Obama merely calling for a ceasefire. I found Russia bullying Georgia to be despicable, & I was happy that McCain condemned Russia for that. I'm usually not one to care for words, but that makes me wonder if Obama actually understood what was happening or if he just rattled off a standard anti-conflict statement.

Putin is an authoritarian bastard, but it should be reminded that Georgia decided that opening day of the Olympics was a good day to invade South Ossetia, and that we like Georgia because of their oil pipeline.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:55:53 AM »

Putin is an authoritarian bastard, but it should be reminded that Georgia decided that opening day of the Olympics was a good day to invade South Ossetia, and that we like Georgia because of their oil pipeline.

Georgia is by no means clean in this incident. Nevertheless, Russia's overresponse is just as much of a problem as Georgia attacking South Ossetia. After all, Georgia's questionable actions don't give Russia permission to overrun Georgia.

As such, I admired McCain for scolding Russia. Would have been nice if he scolded Georgia too, though.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »

McCain will save me more money

Its also great to see how Obama's plan is, earn more money, feed more illegal Mexicans
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:04:08 AM »

Both tax plans will save me money.  Obama's plan will save me more, I suppose, but there are much more important reasons for my vote than how much "free money" I'll get back in a bribe.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

Obama's currently, but McCain's in the near future.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »

Not to mention McCain's cuts for the rich will bolster tax revenue.
That's just not true. Not only has it not worked for any President since at least Reagan but most estimates I've seen show that we'd lose about $600 billion in tax revenue over 10 years if we implemented McCain's plan (this is the Economist's figure too btw). Now could it help the economy? Maybe, but it could also cause the dollar to slide further if it just leads to more deficit spending.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »

Since my parents still claim me as dependent I guess I should answer for my family income. Mccain's plan will slightly benefit us I guess but that is not counting the money saved from not invading Iran. Plus if we get universal healthcare out of it then even better.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »

Obama's, but considering how much I rely on my parents it's far more important for them to save 3% rather than 1.9%.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:30 PM »

Not to mention McCain's cuts for the rich will bolster tax revenue.
That's just not true. Not only has it not worked for any President since at least Reagan but most estimates I've seen show that we'd lose about $600 billion in tax revenue over 10 years if we implemented McCain's plan (this is the Economist's figure too btw). Now could it help the economy? Maybe, but it could also cause the dollar to slide further if it just leads to more deficit spending.

I think Republicans are so far divorced from the true concept of the Laffer curve (not only can taxes be too high, but they can also be too low) that they may as well be living in an economic fantasy land at this point—they just want to get the rate as close to 0 and as flat as possible, and damn the consequences.  Democrats, meanwhile, seem entirely divorced from current economic reality (at least in the eyes of voters) that they don't mind keeping gas prices high (read: giving the inflationary monster a prescription for steroids) rather than giving the markets at least some psychological relief.  Oh, and they want to hike taxes on the investing class in the middle of an economic slump, which seems absolutely retarded to me.

I don't really like either of their tax plans, to be honest.  They both seem like they're more gimmick than solution to anything.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »

Georgia is by no means clean in this incident. Nevertheless, Russia's overresponse is just as much of a problem as Georgia attacking South Ossetia. After all, Georgia's questionable actions don't give Russia permission to overrun Georgia.

As such, I admired McCain for scolding Russia. Would have been nice if he scolded Georgia too, though.

Obama scolded both Russia and Georgia. McCain basically called for war with Russia on Georgia's behalf. I'm not sure why you like McCain better on this given the description you've given of your position.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »

I ignored the first part and voted Obama, though the difference is slim.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »

Obama.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »

Obama's in the near future. As for my parents, McCain.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »

Oh, I just noticed that the tables uses family income.  In that case, it looks like McCain has the better tax plan for me, depending on how much of these tax giveaways cater to families with children.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »

Damn, the people on this forum tend to be skewed to the wealthy side. $110k a year is around 90th percentile for a family income.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 05:47:50 PM »

Obama for me and my parents.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »

Obamas' plan will indirectly increase taxes on the middle class and working class by taxing companies so much that prices will increase as a result.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies