Report: AP photo of school register reveals "Barry Soetoro" (Obama) as muslim
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:30:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Report: AP photo of school register reveals "Barry Soetoro" (Obama) as muslim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Report: AP photo of school register reveals "Barry Soetoro" (Obama) as muslim  (Read 5392 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 06:25:41 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2008, 06:28:42 PM by sbane »

Dude just stop and think for a fu**ing second. He has an atheist mom and a muslim step-dad and hes like 6. Who the f*** knows who put him down as a muslim, but it is pretty clear he wasn't practicing anything at the time. When he grew up he accepted christ and is now a Christian. Was that too fu**ing hard to understand?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Duuuude, just take a chill pill or direct your insecurities elsewhere.

Haha sorry but this topic is bulls**t and everyone must know it imho. He was 5 or 6 when this happened so it must have been filled in by an adult, perhaps his muslim step-dad. Does that make Obama a muslim? All I am saying is that your brain should be able to figure out that this in no way makes Obama a muslim, considering he is a PRACTICING CHRISTIAN. Obama just needs to refute it to those with below 70 IQ.

Edit: The article also implies that since the form says his nationality is Indonesian, Obama has multiple nationalities. How retarded is that?

I'm not saying it makes him a Muslim. I'm saying it's a possibility. You can't just give reasons why this happened and say it was probably out of his control and then call anyone who disagrees with your assumptions an idiot.

If as a 5 year old Obama could say he was muslim, then why would he become a christian now? Or do you think he became a Christian to run for president? LOL

Edit: Or perhaps he put down muslim since the rest of his class was muslim. But we both know that he is a practicing christian now. So then why bring this up? Why is this worthy of discussion? What have we learned here?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 06:28:11 PM »

If as a 5 year old Obama could say he was muslim, then why would he become a christian now? Or do you think he became a Christian to run for president? LOL

LOL YA I TOTALLY BELIEVE HE BECAME A CHRIST LOVER 2 RUN FOR TEH PREZ!!!

You're a real tool, my friend. Anyway, I think I've been over that I was never a believer in the "Obama is a Muslim!" hype. Plenty of people can back me up. I never cared either way. I only care that it was possibly true at one time and Obama refuses to say anything.

By the way, my little genius, plenty of people are one religion at a young age and then join another religion later in life. It's called conversion. I have no idea why that idea seems so insane to you.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »

You're a real tool, my friend. Anyway, I think I've been over that I was never a believer in the "Obama is a Muslim!" hype. Plenty of people can back me up. I never cared either way. I only care that it was possibly true at one time and Obama refuses to say anything.

By the way, my little genius, plenty of people are one religion at a young age and then join another religion later in life. It's called conversion. I have no idea why that idea seems so insane to you.

I will ask again. Why does it matter what religion Obama was when he was 5 years old? Why should this be a topic of discussion on a political forum? What have we learned here?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »

I will ask again. Why does it matter what religion Obama was when he was 5 years old? Why should this be a topic of discussion on a political forum? What have we learned here?

It's a topic here because we discuss what is happening in our little political world. Whether it should be relevant or not is irrelevant when discussing what shapes the race.

I will say again, since you have a very, very hard time understanding: I do not care if Obama was a Muslim when he was five. I don't care if Obama was a Muslim now. The issue here is that it could be true and Obama simply decided to deny it for so long which is just as wrong as trying to make this an issue.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Isn't the death penalty levied against those who were once Muslim, and cease to be?  Hey, a fatwa may be issued against Obama calling for his death as an apostate. Did you think of THAT Sbane?  I thought not. That is why one hires smart lawyers, who DO think of everything. Tongue
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 06:38:11 PM »

It's a topic here because we discuss what is happening in our little political world. Whether it should be relevant or not is irrelevant when discussing what shapes the race.

I will say again, since you have a very, very hard time understanding: I do not care if Obama was a Muslim when he was five. I don't care if Obama was a Muslim now. The issue here is that it could be true and Obama simply decided to deny it for so long which is just as wrong as trying to make this an issue.
There is almost no way it is true. Besides even if somehow he leaned towards liking the Islamic religion when he was 5 it was being shoved down his throat to an extent.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »

Look I wasn't even arguing with you to begin with and neither do I care if you think he is a muslim and whether that matters to you. It is just that this is going to be misinterpreted as Obama being a muslim. This article will be "proof" for many of our dumbass countrymen. So I just feel that anyone bringing this up is doing it in a fallacious way in order to mislead people and make them vote for Mccain. I mean Naso basically said it and that is who I started this discussion with. MODU also had to wait for the refutation of Obama before he knew what to make of this. If you can prove to me that Obama was a PRACTICING muslim for a appreciable amount of time, then maybe this means something. Obama has actually tried to jump around this question a lot because he knows something like this exists that could show he was a "muslim" for a while. If he was a "muslim" at this time, it was because he needed something to believe and perhaps his step-dad was able to provide it in an islamic nation, whereas his mom was an agnostic not affiliated to a church.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

Isn't the death penalty levied against those who were once Muslim, and cease to be?  Hey, a fatwa may be issued against Obama calling for his death as an apostate. Did you think of THAT Sbane?  I thought not. That is why one hires smart lawyers, who DO think of everything. Tongue

Interesting theory there, but something tells me that is not why Naso brought it up.
Jacobtm

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »

Why is it assumed that "Barry Soetoro" means "Barack Obama"? I know he went by Barry in school, but is the assumption that no other person who ever lived in Indonesia has been called "Barry"?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 07:02:49 PM »

Then why do you think Obama has to "refute" this? This is just as much bulls**t as the other conspiracies out there.

Because this was released by a news source, and Obama's "Truth Squad" said they will address these.  Ergo, it's up for them to address this.  As I have said, neither you nor I can verify that this record even belongs to Obama let alone is credible.  Let Obama's team or other media outlets gain access to the original record and to prove or disprove the article.  That's their job.  I could care less about his religion, even if he were a Muslim today (religion is not a prerequisite for being a President).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Change my mind on what?  That I think he's now a Muslim because of a newspaper told me so?  No, I haven't changed my mind.  Now seriously, calm down.  You sound like you are panicking, and it isn't very "sbane" like.

MODU also had to wait for the refutation of Obama before he knew what to make of this.

You were talking about BS earlier?  That sentence is pure BS, and you are more than welcomed to take it back and apologize for failing reading comprehension back in grade school.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »

Must be election season again...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »

Then why do you think Obama has to "refute" this? This is just as much bulls**t as the other conspiracies out there.

Because this was released by a news source, and Obama's "Truth Squad" said they will address these.  Ergo, it's up for them to address this.  As I have said, neither you nor I can verify that this record even belongs to Obama let alone is credible.  Let Obama's team or other media outlets gain access to the original record and to prove or disprove the article.  That's their job.  I could care less about his religion, even if he were a Muslim today (religion is not a prerequisite for being a President).

Change my mind on what?  That I think he's now a Muslim because of a newspaper told me so?  No, I haven't changed my mind.  Now seriously, calm down.  You sound like you are panicking, and it isn't very "sbane" like.

MODU also had to wait for the refutation of Obama before he knew what to make of this.

You were talking about BS earlier?  That sentence is pure BS, and you are more than welcomed to take it back and apologize for failing reading comprehension back in grade school.

Well sorry to be so "panicky" but this just strikes me as wrong, that is all. The "truth squad" should not have to inform us why this article sucks because it is just obvious to me. An adult filled out some stupid form for Barack( and it might not even be him) and said he was a muslim and an Indonesian. Big deal. I was a little perplexed by your "wait for the truth squad" comment but I see what you meant. I am also "panicky" because I know this article is going to be used as "proof" that Obama is muslim.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »

Well sorry to be so "panicky" but this just strikes me as wrong, that is all. The "truth squad" should not have to inform us why this article sucks because it is just obvious to me. An adult filled out some stupid form for Barack( and it might not even be him) and said he was a muslim and an Indonesian. Big deal. I was a little perplexed by your "wait for the truth squad" comment but I see what you meant. I am also "panicky" because I know this article is going to be used as "proof" that Obama is muslim.

DING DING DING DING  (Part in bold)

You are finally getting past the irrational overreaction and engaging some logic.  Let the "Truth Squad" (and the media) research the accusation and disprove (or prove) it. 

Now that you've achieved this milestone, you should step away from the keyboard and celebrate your accomplishment in your own personal way.  Congratulations.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »

DING DING DING DING  (Part in bold)

You are finally getting past the irrational overreaction and engaging some logic.  Let the "Truth Squad" (and the media) research the accusation and disprove (or prove) it. 

Now that you've achieved this milestone, you should step away from the keyboard and celebrate your accomplishment in your own personal way.  Congratulations.

Right but my point is that even if it turns out that Obama is that kid, and that he personally filled it out and put down muslim and Indonesian, that it still does not matter. He was not a practicing muslim for any appreciable amount of time and he certainly was not of an age to form lasting opinions and what not. But that would not matter to the idiots out there who will hang on to this and say Obama was a muslim and use it as an excuse to vote against him. My tirade was against them and anybody who supports that(NASO). 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »

Wow that's a balanced source!

You had to register a religion while in Indonesia. So people who don't fit into any of the categories just put down Islam which is basically the default choice. Plus as Obama's father was raised Muslim, he was by strict Islamic standards a Muslim his whole life since Islam says you can't convert away, and his children should be raised as Muslim under such rules as well. So it's the easiest thing to put down here. Doesn't mean he was ever actually a practicing Muslim.

Middle America's choice will be seen as: Red, White and Blue old war hero John McCain or "Former Indonesian National former Islam" Barack Hussien Soetoro Obama.

I'm feeling a bit more confident.

Admirable as that is Mike, it didn't do McCain much good in 2000 and he was every bit a war hero then

Dave
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »

Wow that's a balanced source!

You had to register a religion while in Indonesia. So people who don't fit into any of the categories just put down Islam which is basically the default choice. Plus as Obama's father was raised Muslim, he was by strict Islamic standards a Muslim his whole life since Islam says you can't convert away, and his children should be raised as Muslim under such rules as well. So it's the easiest thing to put down here. Doesn't mean he was ever actually a practicing Muslim.

Middle America's choice will be seen as: Red, White and Blue old war hero John McCain or "Former Indonesian National former Islam" Barack Hussien Soetoro Obama.

I'm feeling a bit more confident.

Admirable as that is Mike, it didn't do McCain much good in 2000 and he was every bit a war hero then

Dave

It did do him good, although evidently not enough.  But the analogy is bad because Bush lost no support for being too exotic.  Far from it.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »

hey guys, what's going on in this topic?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 10:47:43 PM »

Based on...?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2008, 10:52:15 PM by Governor Duke, Dirty South »

Soetoro was the last name of his step-father, so I don't understand how there's no way this is true. He was also called Barry because they couldn't pronounce his first name.
Cylon Candidate
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -2.43

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »

From a 2007 Chicago Tribune report:

Here is the full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0703250340mar25,0,4122936.story

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

barry sotorro is a great name.  genius.

i was in cambridge at a bookstore not long ago.  i picked up the obama book about his dad.  i read a little of it.  all i learned, from what little i read, obama's white grandfather liked whisky (as i do) and his cousins in africa called 'barry' when they called him to inform him his father had died.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 02:02:47 AM »

Fail.

and I think its sad now that if your running for President and your religion is something other than christianity or something obnoxiously prominant in America....its a black mark on your record and its used against you in a race for the Presidency.

Way to go America.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 02:12:07 AM »

Fail.

and I think its sad now that if your running for President and your religion is something other than christianity or something obnoxiously prominant in America....its a black mark on your record and its used against you in a race for the Presidency.

Way to go America.

What's really sad is that the percentage of people who would vote for an atheist for President is about 10 points below the Muslim numbers.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 02:15:42 AM »

Fail.

Way to go America.

What's really sad is that the percentage of people who would vote for an atheist for President is about 10 points below the Muslim numbers.

So any religion is now better than no religion at all?

Geez there go my political hopes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 02:24:38 AM »

My mistake, atheist is 10 points below gay in this Gallup poll. They even asked for "well qualified".

Catholic 93%
Black 93%
Jewish 91%
Woman 86%
Hispanic 86%
Mormon 80%
Homosexual 56%
Atheist 46%

In this Pew poll,  they didn't say "well qualified", so the numbers are significantly lower.

Catholic 83%
Jewish 78%
Evangelic 65%
Mormon 53%
Muslim 34%

http://www.pollingreport.com/politics.htm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies