Debate!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:14:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Debate!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Debate!  (Read 4159 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »

There really seems to be no need for this legislation. If a voter was able to register withing 10 days of an election that would make it possible for that voter to immediately vote in the absentee section of the election. There needs to be some period of time between which someone can register and then vote. I will be voting no on this legislation, mainly because I think our current law is fine as is.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 03:46:15 AM »

Third question. Several people, most notably the Secretary of External Affairs, MasterJedi, have called for the return of the Game Moderator. What is your position on that proposal?

A question from the audience:

For those advocating a game manager, who would you feel best suited for that role, how will the office be selected, and what will the terms be?

I'll take these questions together.

I am not necessarily opposed to te return of the GM system. However, I do believe that if the position were to return the GM should be provided with appropriate terms of reference. The GM (and indeed everyone else)should know what is expected and what is appropriate for the position.

As to appointment, well first of all, I'd expect the terms of my pithy GM Act to be upheld. The position should be appointed in much the same manner as any cabinet position - the Senate should be afforded the opportunity to question a Presidential nominee.

As to who should be appointed, there are a number of capable Atlasians who could hold this position. I would say that it requires someone with experience, someone who carries the respect of Atlasians, someone level-headed and someone who is keen to see Atlasia 'work'. Whether that is one person or a group of people, I don't know; nor do I feel it is imperative that it be one or the other. What is most important is that the role be appropriately defined and that the person(s) in charge are suitable for the position.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »

There is currently a bill before the Senate that would cut in half the amount of time a newly registered voter has to wait to vote (Link to it here). If elected Senator, would you vote aye or nay on the bill? Please explain your answer.

No. Absolutely not.
There is a very good reason why we have the time limit in place - to prevent last minute registrations simply for the purpose of voting for Candidate X. Registrations should certainly be encouraged, but not simply to lodge a ballot paper, the should be encouraged to stay to genuinely participate in the game.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 07:05:33 AM »

I agree with Jas completely on his answer and his reasoning.  Should this rule be overturned and decreased then Atlasian officeseekers can simply have anyone come in and vote for them.  It almost as if someone were bringing in foreign citizens for a moment  just to vote for them and then sending them right back out.  It challenges the wills of true Atlasians.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »

I also agree with Jas, but I think I should point something out; that legislation was actually written by a candidate in this election.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »

I also agree with Jas, but I think I should point something out; that legislation was actually written by a candidate in this election.
I pointed that out
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »

I pointed that out

Yes, but a lot of people have you on ignore.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »

I pointed that out

Yes, but a lot of people have you on ignore.
Their loss
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

I oppose it, since it renders the limit essentially meaningless.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »

Fifth question. A constitutional amendment just came before the Senate (link to it here). The amendment would give the SoFA a full week within which to open the voting booth for Senatorial & Presidential elections. How would you vote on this bill if elected Senator?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »

I oppose the idea.  If it were for the SoFA to take control of booths dealing with federal matters, I would support it.  But my amendment to remove strictly regional votes was voted down and so I opposed it.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »

Fifth question. A constitutional amendment just came before the Senate (link to it here). The amendment would give the SoFA a full week within which to open the voting booth for Senatorial & Presidential elections. How would you vote on this bill if elected Senator?

To be honest I don't have a solid position on this issue at this point in time. I think at the moment I am leaning towards leaving things as they currently are because I don't see any problems with the system as it currently stands, but I am open to the idea if someone can argue some well-placed points for it. Remember that it is important to have a senator that can acknowledge a good point when he sees one and who is open to new ideas.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »

In its current form, I would vote against the Amendment.  If it were limited to federal elections, I would support it; but since it also deals with the regions, I'll oppose it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »

I don't see the point of it and we have rather a lot of amendments to the constitution already. The federal-regional angle that some here are trying to spin on it is a total red herring.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 05:41:47 AM »

I'm fairly ambivalent towards it - the case for why it is needed is tough to make, but then I don't see a great deal of harm in allowing it through. In general, unless I feel quite opposed to some element of a Constitutional Amendment, I have tended to vote in favour, so that the people may decide themselves.

I had been giving consideration though to an Amendment to introduce week long voting for federal elections, rather than our current method with an official 72 hour period with a prior absentee booth. The idea being that with a week long vote the absentee booth would no longer be necesitated - thus hopefully, making things a bit easier for the SoFA (e.g. running 1 voting booth instead of 2, and having generally a longer period of time to deal with electoral issues as they arise). In such circumstances, I would support the right of the SoFA to open the booth at any time within a 7 day period - having given a period of notice to that effect.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:23 AM »

I don't really have much feeling one way or the other.  Therefore I would probably vote aye so that it could go straight to the citizens of Atlasia, where they could make the final decision.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »

I don't see the point of it and we have rather a lot of amendments to the constitution already. The federal-regional angle that some here are trying to spin on it is a total red herring.

Glad to see someone has the guts to say it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

Last question. A bill is currently being debated (link to it here) that would require that political parties be registered with the Department of Forum Affairs. How would you vote on this bill?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

If we could clear up the issue that DWTL raised in the thread, I would support the Bill.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »

I support this piece of legislation.  All of these amendments are simply common sense and need to actually be put into the law code.  (Though I think a clause could be useful establishing the ability to reestablish defunct political parties, even if it is not used.)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »

I sort of like the idea, but I don't like it discouraging independent candidacies.  In our system its really hard for someone to play spoiler in an election so I don't see the problem if I want to form the DownWithTheLeft for the Dirty South (DDS) Party
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »

Last question. A bill is currently being debated (link to it here) that would require that political parties be registered with the Department of Forum Affairs. How would you vote on this bill?

Meh, leave things the way they are, I feel a more fluid system makes Atlasia a more interesting place.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »

PiT, are we all going to given time for closing statements?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »

Good idea. I like it. I once came up with a similar piece of legislation, but it bombed due to a stupid clause I inserted.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »

PiT, are we all going to given time for closing statements?

Go ahead. The election's already underway, so feel free to make your closing statement at any time. We ought to be wrapping this up soon anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies