Like-a-Fishhook Election Tracking
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:47:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Like-a-Fishhook Election Tracking
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Like-a-Fishhook Election Tracking  (Read 15794 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2008, 03:48:35 AM »

How is a vote without a first preference counted?

It's a judgment call for the SoFA. If he can make a 'reasonable determination' of the intent of the voter, then he should count the vote in that manner.
Marginal correction: It's a judgment call for the SoFA, with the option of going to court available no matter how he rules (unless it makes no difference to the final list of electees, I suppose).

He has ruled the ballot invalid. I will publish, both right after the next regular update, and after the polls close (but not at any additional update points in between) a count that includes her vote, treating her second pref. as first etc. This is just for informational value, and should not be read as disapproval or approval of the SoFA's decision.

I assume Earl's decision would be upheld anyway, given the precedent of Akno21 v. Fritz.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2008, 04:02:04 AM »

It's a judgment call for the SoFA. If he can make a 'reasonable determination' of the intent of the voter, then he should count the vote in that manner.
Marginal correction: It's a judgment call for the SoFA, with the option of going to court available no matter how he rules (unless it makes no difference to the final list of electees, I suppose).

He has ruled the ballot invalid. I will publish, both right after the next regular update, and after the polls close (but not at any additional update points in between) a count that includes her vote, treating her second pref. as first etc. This is just for informational value, and should not be read as disapproval or approval of the SoFA's decision.

I assume Earl's decision would be upheld anyway, given the precedent of Akno21 v. Fritz.
With the SC, you never know.

Anyways, *currently* counting her vote as a vote for Al would make no difference to the progress of the count, but all the difference for the final list of electees, putting Al ahead of Culture King. Treat this as the promised "count".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2008, 04:06:12 AM »

Anyways, *currently* counting her vote as a vote for Al would make no difference to the progress of the count, but all the difference for the final list of electees, putting Al ahead of Culture King. Treat this as the promised "count".

You're right. Her intent would be much more discernible than Mike Assad's was. It might make an interesting case.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2008, 04:17:20 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2008, 04:20:36 AM by Let's Give Up »

You're right. Her intent would be much more discernible than Mike Assad's was. It might make an interesting case.
Of course, the interpretation that she meant to vote for Jas (whom she lists 10th) also makes a certain amount of sense... *need to check if that changes anything*

EDIT: While it jerks around the order of elimination (Andrew goes before Jas), her vote still travels to Al and all votes still travel just as they do right now. (Atm - a situation is conceivable where that's not the case), so right now both most logical interpretations lead to the same result, while throwing the ballot out leads to another. Interesting complication there...

At least noone can accuse the SoFA of a partisan ruling here. After all, he voted for Al.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2008, 04:35:14 AM »

Of course, the interpretation that she meant to vote for Jas (whom she lists 10th) also makes a certain amount of sense... *need to check if that changes anything*

EDIT: While it jerks around the order of elimination (Andrew goes before Jas), her vote still travels to Al and all votes still travel just as they do right now. (Atm - a situation is conceivable where that's not the case), so right now both most logical interpretations lead to the same result, while throwing the ballot out leads to another. Interesting complication there...

At least noone can accuse the SoFA of a partisan ruling here. After all, he voted for Al.

Yeah, I saw the Assad quote in Peter's sig. Smiley When I initially cited the precedent of the case, I was referring to Earl saying it probably would not be legal for him to ask her what her intent was, since Assad's vote was thrown out, even though he testified to his intent. The cases for alternate interpretations of her intent are interesting as well, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2008, 05:37:31 AM »

We have received communications from Pedant's Corner. We believe the amendations to our count offered from there to be correct. The count has been amended accordingly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2008, 05:40:50 AM »

We have received communications from Pedant's Corner. We believe the amendations to our count offered from there to be correct. The count has been amended accordingly.

You mean they will count her vote?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2008, 05:43:38 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2008, 05:50:00 AM by Let's Give Up »

No, I wasn't referring to the DoFA. Smiley
Jas pointed out to me that MAS has two third pref.s on his ballot, and that I gave Al a second pref. too few.

The DoFA has ruled, and I do not expect them to change their ruling.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2008, 05:45:54 AM »

No, I wasn't referring to the DoFA. Smiley
Jas pointed out to me that MAS has two third pref.s, and that I gave Al a second pref. too few.

The DoFA has ruled, and I do not expect them to change their ruling.

I would sue, except as I mentioned earlier, I strongly doubt anything would change. The precedent of the Mike Assad quote is too powerful. Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »

I'd say DWTL's seat is now probably safe.
Smiley

I wish I could feel confident about that, I just hope Al gets to join me in the senate Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »

Just went over the remaining voter list...

AHDuke 99 - Another Dwdl vote I suppose.
AltWorlder - who?
applemanmat - who?
Bob - unlikely to turn up
Bono - unlikely to turn up
Boris - possible JCP bullet vote, possible non-show
Cookies and Milk - doesn't he usually vote for Sensei, gets thrown out for lack of activity? So this time he's active enough?
dubya2004 - not seen much of Jake recently. Suppose he'll show up though. Could see him vote for Colin, Al, or even Dwdl.
Ernest - will vote. will vote late. Unpredictable who for.
gporter - haven't seen him in a while.
hughento - NLC or Jas. If he turns up, which is likely but not certain
jfern - JCP voter
josh4bush - no clue who he'll vote for
Lewis Trondheim - Yes, I will vote. Tomorrow. -_-
LiberalPA - Hardly been around recently. Sad
Mark Warner 08 - Hardly ever involved in Atlasia business. Reachable by GOTV efforts
MATCHU[D] - ditto
Miamiu1027 - possible JCP bullet vote, more likely not to show up
Mr. Moderate - Pretty much pledged to Jas. Probably pondering tactical vote options, though, and likely to vote quite late.
Old Europe - Usually dependable voter, even if otherwise uninvolved. No idea what's keeping him
phknrocket1k - possible JCP bullet vote
Polnut - is he still around?
Reaganfan - suppose he'll show up. NLC or Happy.
Realpolitik - Probably waiting for tactical reasons
supersoulty - likely Colin/Andrew vote
TCash101 - Waiting for tactical reasons?
theking2004 - no clue
TJN2024 - Another Dwdl vote?
true democrat - likely Colin/Andrew vote
YoungRepub - same, if he shows up

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »

Cookies and Milk - doesn't he usually vote for Sensei, gets thrown out for lack of activity? So this time he's active enough?

No, he's not a Sensei voter. I know him IRL. Since he's been active enough (what with the run for Governor), he'll almost certainly vote for me if he bothers to vote.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »

No, he's not a Sensei voter. I know him IRL. Since he's been active enough (what with the run for Governor), he'll almost certainly vote for me if he bothers to vote.
this
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »

this
Meh, you two are easy to confuse.

He first registered back when you two were allies, anyhow. Suppose my mistake stems from there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »

this
Meh, you two are easy to confuse.

He first registered back when you two were allies, anyhow. Suppose my mistake stems from there.

Yup, he did vote Sensei last time.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »

I picked up a surprise 1st preference for Spade and a surprisingly high 3rd from MAS and ILV.  I don't see many more votes for me (Duke is really the only sure thing), but I think I can squeak this out anyway.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2008, 05:36:54 PM »

I picked up a surprise 1st preference for Spade and a surprisingly high 3rd from MAS and ILV.  I don't see many more votes for me (Duke is really the only sure thing), but I think I can squeak this out anyway.

There's also the 2nd preference from Ben. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting elected.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

There's also the 2nd preference from Ben. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting elected.
unfortunately, many of Down's supporters are too new to know why he shouldn't be in the Senate.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2008, 09:51:46 PM »

"Surprisingly"?  Did you read the post creating my current political party at all? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2008, 10:22:22 PM »

unfortunately, many of Down's supporters are too new to know why he shouldn't be in the Senate.

Because Paul, SPC, Inks, & Sam are such neophytes. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2008, 10:39:53 PM »

My ticket is primarily an anti-NLC ticket, with picking DWTL as #1 just to annoy people.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »

I said "Many" not "All"
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »

My ticket is primarily an anti-NLC ticket, with picking DWTL as #1 just to annoy people.

We're still intensely grateful. A vote is a vote after all. Smiley

I said "Many" not "All"

Yeah, I just felt like being facetious. That aside, would you rather have had me run under the RPP banner?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »

I said "Many" not "All"

Yeah, I just felt like being facetious. That aside, would you rather have had me run under the RPP banner?
depends. If Hugo Chavez ran against Hitler for president who would you vote for?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »

I said "Many" not "All"

depends. If Hugo Chavez ran against Hitler for president who would you vote for?

Flee to Canada. If that's not an option, don't vote/write-in George Washington/turn in unmarked ballot. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies