Three new ads today (McCain punches back, trade over DHL ads)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Three new ads today (McCain punches back, trade over DHL ads)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
A

A-

B+

B

B-

C+

C

C-

D

F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Three new ads today (McCain punches back, trade over DHL ads)  (Read 1728 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:11 AM »
« edited: August 15, 2008, 05:48:21 PM by Lunar »

The poll is for the McCain attack ad on the economy.

Here's the link: "Taxman"

Damn, I really wish the Beatles would let McCain use their song for this ad, it'd be wonderful.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It seems weird that he's still pushing the celebrity message when he's making an entirely different point.  I know it's the one thing McCain has managed to find some traction on, but it's going to get silly if they use the same footage until November.  "I know Obama is a celebrity, but I have an alternative fuel plan!"

Obviously the commercial makes a ridiculous jump from a quote from the Wall Street Journal that Obama will raise taxes and one from the Post that gas prices would be higher to having giant words stating "ECONOMIC DISASTER."  It's as if Obama doesn't have a team of PhD economists designing his proposals.

Anyway, I'm just attacking it from the logical point of view.  I'm sure I'm not the target audience.  It does an "ok bleh" job at responding to Obama's "ok" attacks on the economy.  I think McCain's camp should alternate their footage and imagery, get rid of that black darkness for at least one ad in order to keep it interesting.  If this ad wasn't such a repeat of his "Family" ad I would give it a B, but now it's a C+, marked down on not being interesting enough for the viewer who has seen McCain ads aplenty already.

UPDATE
Obama has a new ad too, ironically called "Punch" hitting McCain on DHL in Ohio.

Ch-ch-ch-check it out!

UPDATE 2

McCain has a lightning fast response out: "Maybe"

What are your thoughts on the new ads?

Gosh, McCain has to use the same stock celebrity footage even for his local ones!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »

Republicans said the same thing about Bill Clinton, especially his first budget which no Republican voted for. What the hell do Republicans know about the economy anyway?
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »

B I like the expression "tax cometh"
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »

This is kind of a self-defeating ad for McCain, especially when you consider what the economy looks like now.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »

Republicans said the same thing about Bill Clinton, especially his first budget which no Republican voted for. What the hell do Republicans know about the economy anyway?

And Clinton didn't raise taxes?  I seem to remember that gas tax of his narrowly passing.  Then the historic changeover in Congress.  But yes, you're correct, the economy didn't collapse.

Obama's windfall profits tax is only going to be passed onto the consumer...so one better hope they get the 1000 buck rebate check to soften the blow. McCain's plan to drill drill drill doesn't do it for me either, I think Biden's onto something about OPEC cutting supply if new US production drops the price too much.

I think this type of ad for McCain probably won't work too well...the threat of raised taxes isn't nearly as effective as a record of raised taxes, and I still don't get why the McCain camp thinks showing pictures of a smiling/stately Obama with enthusiastic crowds with change signs and the Obama chant is a good ploy.  Ok, I understand what they're trying to paint here, but I don't think its that effective.

C.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:02:24 AM »

Says McCain, who has either enabled or is committed to enabling the Bush policies, that has brought the American economy to where it stands today Roll Eyes

When it comes to economic competence and fiscal responsiblity, the Republicans have lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned

Dave
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »

I give it a D.  There really wasn't anything good in that ad and the tactics were really really frickin annoying.

"Obama's TAXES.  TAXES.  ECONOMIC DISASTER.  HIGHER GAS PRICES OBAMA OBAMA TAXERS HIGH GAS PRICES DISASTER ECONOMIC!!!"

And then the birds tweet and the harp begins to play "I'm John McCain and I approve this message."

I think their target audience are voters with an IQ under 80.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »

Unfortunately, McCain scaremongering on Obama tax plans could well be bought hook line and sinker with those with an IQ under 80

Dave
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »

If ads like this were effective, no Democrat would ever get elected to office ever. It doesn't seem to be the case, and we've heard a lot of quotes from Republicans in the press lately saying that the tax issue is played out and doesn't get results any more. I'm reluctant to take my own temperature on this one because I remember ads like this working all throughout the 1990s. But now? We'll see.

It's a solid example of the genre.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

Updated topic post with a new Obama ad too hitting McCain on DHL
skoods
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »

Is it just me, or does John McCain sound like a pompous jack-a$$ when is says "we" in his ads in regards to people struggling with the economy. I'm pretty sure he could wipe his a$$ with $50's these days.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »

B- for effectiveness, F for substance.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »

I have to agree with BRTD on this one.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »

Yes, for the most part, they're the ones who decide elections.  Typically on the most retarded reasons possible.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »

Updated topic post with another Obama ad.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »

I like how BRTD hasn't posted in this thread, yet somebody still agrees with him on the subject.  Hmm.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

I like how BRTD hasn't posted in this thread, yet somebody still agrees with him on the subject.  Hmm.

Actually he did post:

I give it a D.  There really wasn't anything good in that ad and the tactics were really really frickin annoying.

"Obama's TAXES.  TAXES.  ECONOMIC DISASTER.  HIGHER GAS PRICES OBAMA OBAMA TAXERS HIGH GAS PRICES DISASTER ECONOMIC!!!"

And then the birds tweet and the harp begins to play "I'm John McCain and I approve this message."

I guess he deleted it
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »

Too many perfervid hyperbolic adjectives. It sucks because when you go that route, folks know it's jive. Terms like "economic disaster" just don't cut it. What's wrong with something like when we need to grow the economic, Obama's tax increases risk shrinking it, and that is not what we need in times like these when family budgets are under stress? I give it a D.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies