Parents Forcing You To Go To A Certain School?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Parents Forcing You To Go To A Certain School?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Parents Forcing You To Go To A Certain School?  (Read 1759 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »

Right or wrong?

I'll explain my situation. I have gone to a Charter school for three years and I hate it. There is too much busy work, the teachers are assholes, and lots of the kids are pretty lame too. I really dislike it and I feel very depressed often because of the high workload, and lack of fun. Well anyways I went to public school for elementary and I did fine. I had plenty of friends and its not like there was any "trouble" at my school. Hell it is rich, McMansion suburbia how the hell would it be bad for me if I went there for public school? I tried talking my parents into letting me go for High School because Charter has little AP classes because the school is small and of course I want to have more fun in my last 4 years of being a kid. Well anyways my parents gave me extremely BS explanations("The class sizes are too large") and are making me stay for another year(they said this in 7th and 8th grade too).

I know this sounds very angsty and all but really is this situation very fair if the public schools are fine, I really want to go there, and I actually have depression issues because of it?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »

Well, if your parents are reasonable people, they'll understand your points if you say them as eloquently as you've written them here.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »

Well, if your parents are reasonable people, they'll understand your points if you say them as eloquently as you've written them here.

I concur.  I would try talking to your parents about it, and while it may be too late for 2008-2009, who knows what will happen for 2009-2010.  What's the worst that can happen?  They say no and you just start counting the days until you graduate and go off to college and you also make the most of your situation and try to find the good points.

That's what I do when I get stuck in a bad situation that I detest, I try to focus on the good points and what I do like.  It makes the time go a whole lot faster.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »

How could any parent possibly be afraid of the IDAHO Public School system?

If they still say no, just go to a party college like Wisconsin or something when you get older.  College >>> high school.

Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »

If they still say no, just go to a party college like Wisconsin or something when you get older.  College >>> high school.

yeah, this. You should have imagined the shock my parents endured when I almost went to University of Florida.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »

Not enough emo kids at the charter school?  I know brother, I felt misunderstood back in the 3rd grade too
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »

Not enough emo kids at the charter school?  I know brother, I felt misunderstood back in the 3rd grade too
Listening to Pop Punk=emo?

okay....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2008, 07:06:04 PM by Torie »

Show your parents the data that class size has nothing to do with the quality of the education (unless you get down to about 12 students or so), and then ask them what the real reason is that they want you to go to this school. Tell them that to have a productive dialog, both sides have to lay their cards face up on the table. After your parents recover from their shock, and ask who is "coaching you" (you can tell them your lawyer is Grin), maybe you will make more progress. Are you getting good grades?  Also tell them you want to set up an appointment with the principal of the public school for them. Get the principal of the charter school to tell your parents that it is a mistake to make you stay there against your will. Talk to the principal of the charter school yourself to make your case, and explain your reasons, and get him or her on your side. (The too much work thing worries me; there is never too much work! You aren't trying to just laze out are you?)

By the way, my parents let me choose my schools. Whatever I wanted was OK. In high school, I got my Dad to write out about 30 excuse slips at once for my first class (a biology class), because I told him that the teacher knew only about 50% of what was in the dumbed down textbook, and I was getting bored with correcting his errors in class, and I thought it best for both myself and my teacher that I make myself more relatively scarce. The bio teacher at one point asked if I were having medical problems, and I said yes, of a psychological kind, and was in therapy. Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »

Right or wrong?

I'll explain my situation. I have gone to a Charter school for three years and I hate it. There is too much busy work, the teachers are assholes, and lots of the kids are pretty lame too. I really dislike it and I feel very depressed often because of the high workload, and lack of fun. Well anyways I went to public school for elementary and I did fine. I had plenty of friends and its not like there was any "trouble" at my school. Hell it is rich, McMansion suburbia how the hell would it be bad for me if I went there for public school? I tried talking my parents into letting me go for High School because Charter has little AP classes because the school is small and of course I want to have more fun in my last 4 years of being a kid. Well anyways my parents gave me extremely BS explanations("The class sizes are too large") and are making me stay for another year(they said this in 7th and 8th grade too).

I know this sounds very angsty and all but really is this situation very fair if the public schools are fine, I really want to go there, and I actually have depression issues because of it?

Tell exactly that to your parents, and if they're the type of people who care about what you think, they'll listen. Hopefully for you.

I've personally never been actually "forced". They chose the schools for me, but they chose wisely (out of the few choices). In Riyadh, the French lycee was run by some arrogant Quebec-hating Parisian, so we chose the American school. In Ottawa, we needed an English IB school, so there were two schools: mine, a normal public school, and Ashbury, full of rich white kids.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »

If they still say no, just go to a party college like Wisconsin or something when you get older.  College >>> high school.

yeah, this. You should have imagined the shock my parents endured when I almost went to University of Florida.

My God man did you want to die of liver failure? Tongue

University of Florida is a pretty damn intense party school. I think only Texas might beat it out.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »

reasonable people don't have children.

sorry, EMD, but you're f***ed.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »

I'm emphasize the AP classes - make sure that they know that some of them count for college credit, and they'd just plain help you get into a better college easier. Also, make sure they know that AP classes tend to have smaller class sizes since those are a concern to them.

I went through public school and I never felt the class sizes were too much. That tends to only be a problem in more urban schools.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »

I'm emphasize the AP classes - make sure that they know that some of them count for college credit, and they'd just plain help you get into a better college easier. Also, make sure they know that AP classes tend to have smaller class sizes since those are a concern to them.

I went through public school and I never felt the class sizes were too much. That tends to only be a problem in more urban schools.

Good advice.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »

Good advice.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 09:52:42 PM »

Show your parents the data that class size has nothing to do with the quality of the education (unless you get down to about 12 students or so), and then ask them what the real reason is that they want you to go to this school. Tell them that to have a productive dialog, both sides have to lay their cards face up on the table. After your parents recover from their shock, and ask who is "coaching you" (you can tell them your lawyer is Grin), maybe you will make more progress. Are you getting good grades?  Also tell them you want to set up an appointment with the principal of the public school for them. Get the principal of the charter school to tell your parents that it is a mistake to make you stay there against your will. Talk to the principal of the charter school yourself to make your case, and explain your reasons, and get him or her on your side. (The too much work thing worries me; there is never too much work! You aren't trying to just laze out are you?)

By the way, my parents let me choose my schools. Whatever I wanted was OK. In high school, I got my Dad to write out about 30 excuse slips at once for my first class (a biology class), because I told him that the teacher knew only about 50% of what was in the dumbed down textbook, and I was getting bored with correcting his errors in class, and I thought it best for both myself and my teacher that I make myself more relatively scarce. The bio teacher at one point asked if I were having medical problems, and I said yes, of a psychological kind, and was in therapy. Smiley
coolest parents ever...
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »

University of Florida is a pretty damn intense party school. I think only Texas might beat it out.
Well, I was considering the school for *cough* the Economics Department *cough*
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »

Where did you end up going?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »

Where did you end up going?
Florida State, although I'm going to complete my undergrad work closer to home.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 10:51:30 PM »

Tell them I said that big class sizes are fun.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »

meh my Dad isn't very reasonable. Essentially he is blaming everything on my Mom and says I have to stay for another year. He continues to ignore everything I say and insists I am making it up and that there is nothing wrong with my school. He is also selfish saying that I better not ruin his golf tournament by arguing with him.

Yeah Boss Tweed is right all parents are assholes.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »

meh my Dad isn't very reasonable. Essentially he is blaming everything on my Mom and says I have to stay for another year. He continues to ignore everything I say and insists I am making it up and that there is nothing wrong with my school. He is also selfish saying that I better not ruin his golf tournament by arguing with him.

There may very well be nothing wrong with your school. I mean, how bad could it be?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »

There may very well be nothing wrong with your school. I mean, how bad could it be?
Read my first post. The whole idea is that the public school would be better anyways not that my school is terrible. In many ways(socially and teacher wise) it is and in other areas it isn't.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 11:54:29 PM »

Read my first post. The whole idea is that the public school would be better anyways not that my school is terrible. In many ways(socially and teacher wise) it is and in other areas it isn't.
well, the grass always seems greener on the other side. Just saying.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 11:55:13 PM »

well, the grass always seems greener on the other side. Just saying.
Yeah but the whole idea is that I want this to be my choice and they have no reasoning for their opinion really.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »

Public schools are indeed better. Of course, my experience is somewhat limited.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies