Russia and Georgia agree to peace as Russian tanks drive deeper into Georgia...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:53:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia and Georgia agree to peace as Russian tanks drive deeper into Georgia...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia and Georgia agree to peace as Russian tanks drive deeper into Georgia...  (Read 1358 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »

So over the last two days, here's what I've heard:

1: Sarkozy brokered a peace deal between Russia and Georgia. The details weren't yet specific when I last heard, and Georgia had some reservations about it.

2: Russian tanks, after this peace deal, continued to drive deeper into Russian territory.

3: Russia has a war-ship off Abkhazia's coast, and Abkhazia's battle against Georgia is apparently still active?

So what the hell is happening? Does anyone live in a country with a decent news service who really knows what's up?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »

Nobody knows what's up because we're all waiting to see what Putin will do next.  It's ALL on him.  We're letting an egomaniac with nukes call the shots.  GENIUS!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:19:39 PM »

Even in the 21st century, there seems to be a fog of war.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:45:08 AM »

Even in the 21st century, there seems to be a fog of war.

With both sides popping smoke...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »

I didn't watch the French news last night, which is the only channel with competent coverage. CBC just decided to play CNN and said "Oh yeah, in Georgia, people are fighting. Now we turn to TORONTO were a big explosion took place over a week ago and let's see some pissed councillor saying shut up!".
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2008, 08:15:15 AM by B. »

I didn't watch the French news last night, which is the only channel with competent coverage. CBC just decided to play CNN and said "Oh yeah, in Georgia, people are fighting. Now we turn to TORONTO were a big explosion took place over a week ago and let's see some pissed councillor saying shut up!".

I can't compare with foreign media but I, who look at TF1 news everyday, (because I consider that are them who make the news here, even if they are not the best news in France) (and I just look the evening news, the midday ones I just can't, that are just not some news) can say that from Monday the conflict has an enough good cover, even if from Tuesday the Olympics always come first.

Oh, and then, it must be more than a week that they spend their time on the consequences of a small torn in the North of France which destroyed an area of a small city there, it seems to be a very profitable news...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:20:33 AM »

Oh, and then, it must be more than a week that they spend their time on the consequences of a small torn in the North of France which destroyed an area of a small city there, it seems to be a very profitable news...

France2 covers that a lot too.

I can't compare with foreign media but I, who look at TF1 news everyday, (because I consider that are them who make the news here, even if they are not the best news in France) (and I just look the evening news, the midday ones I just can't, that are just not some news) can say that from Monday the conflict has an enough good cover, even if from Tuesday the Olympics always come first.

Doesn't the noon news have JP Pernaud presenting, IIRC? I love that guy's voice.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:33:42 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2008, 09:01:09 AM by B. »

Doesn't the noon news have JP Pernaud presenting, IIRC? I love that guy's voice.

Yeah, he's still on air.

Argh, the way he expresses his-self makes me think he makes the (I don't know how I could say in English, "faillot*") toward those he considers to be the good honest French peoples, and especially toward the old ones of those...

*for English speaking persons a "faillot" is, most of the time in a classroom but it works in other environments too, the one who wanna be the favorite of the teacher, by any means.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »

Was anyone else listening to Glen Beck just now?  Some guy calls up screaming on the phone about how "conservatives are trying to start WWIII... there is nothing going on in Georgia... its ALL LIES... I'm in Georgia right now."

When Glen Beck asked him where he is in Georgia, the guy responds that he is in Athens, and he was just in Savannah the other day.  I sincerely hope this guy was joking, but I don't think he was.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »

Was anyone else listening to Glen Beck just now?  Some guy calls up screaming on the phone about how "conservatives are trying to start WWIII... there is nothing going on in Georgia... its ALL LIES... I'm in Georgia right now."

When Glen Beck asked him where he is in Georgia, the guy responds that he is in Athens, and he was just in Savannah the other day.  I sincerely hope this guy was joking, but I don't think he was.

For the French I am:

Who is Glenn Beck?

Does he have a big audience?

Thanks
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »

For the French I am:

Who is Glenn Beck?

Thanks

He is a conservative talk show host, not as much emphasis on entertainment as Limbaugh, not as pig-headed as Hannity.  He has a decent  sized audience.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »

To give you an idea of why Glen Beck is better, he just chastised idiots for buying SUV's again just because gas prices have gone down for a month.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »

For the French I am:

Who is Glenn Beck?

Thanks

He is a conservative talk show host, not as much emphasis on entertainment as Limbaugh, not as pig-headed as Hannity.  He has a decent  sized audience.

OK, which channel?

To give you an idea of why Glen Beck is better, he just chastised idiots for buying SUV's again just because gas prices have gone down for a month.

Idiots is here a low word. So, if chastising someone for it is showing some intelligence, I hope this not the top Mr Beck can do.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:39:22 AM »

That said, did he seriously listen the claims of those who spoke of the US state of Georgia?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:27 AM »

For the French I am:

Who is Glenn Beck?

Thanks

OK, which channel?

Idiots is here a low word. So, if chastising someone for it is showing some intelligence, I hope this not the top Mr Beck can do.

1) Radio

2) Those are my words, not his, but thanks for the compliment.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »

Glenn Beck has a TV show on CNN Headline News, too.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 03:56:14 AM »

Thanks
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies