Colleges banning fraternities and sororities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:02:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Colleges banning fraternities and sororities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you support this?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/third party)

No (I/third party)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Colleges banning fraternities and sororities  (Read 8815 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »

Yes (D).
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »

Yes (R).  Mine did back in the late 60's, after extended debate, and I'm glad they did.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »

My college has no fraternities, so I really don't care. Wink
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »

I think this idea is kinda dumb. My parents were part of the Greek system, but it wasn't for me because I was in a relationship in college and the frats at my campus are total retards, except for a couple of political operatives that I know.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »

What are the arguments pro and con? Generally I don't support banning anything unless there's a good reason. A better case might be made for a college not providing special financial support to them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

What are the arguments pro and con? Generally I don't support banning anything unless there's a good reason. A better case might be made for a college not providing special financial support to them.
That's probably a pretty smart thing to say.

I mean, unless you need something to not exist and can make it so that it doesn't exist, you shouldn't ban something. Then again, you shouldn't support something if it is of no betterment to yourself to support it. Most things are best left outside of the law.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »

My school doesn't have them either. I don't see a compelling argument in either direction, simply because painting them all the same is inaccurate.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:33:19 PM »

No. I would appropriately punish fraternities and sororities that cross certain lines of conduct, only banning them if they cross those lines repeatedly. Of course, a college would only be able to do this if the fraternities are present on college grounds, and I suspect that they would simply move off campus in the event of a ban.

So you are for the banning of these organizations that often throw parties in which lots of drinking and stuff happens?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »

No (D)

I don't see a reason why we should.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »

No(I). If you don't like frats or sororites, don't join them. You have that option ya know. If your lifestyle consists of waking up in the morning and hitting the bong and then flying through the day to hit the bottle later at night, perhaps a frat is for you. I decided it wasn't for me. I decided this after I barely even saw my buddies in the dorms after they got affiliated and one of them almost failed out of college. But hey they throw tight parties.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

No (R)

There's no reason to.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »

Must we ban everything we don't like?  You're worse than a Fundie.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »

I find most people who don't like fraternities are those too socially awkward to make friends, jealous people.

Myself, I live at the University with the largest Greek system in the US, some frats are cool, others there's too many drunks, I go to the ones that I like, and avoid the other ones, but I don't want to BAN any of them, even if they choose to be stupid sometimes.

BRTD, get over the fact you're jealous of people with money who socialize.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:21:18 PM »

I have no love for them, but I don't hate them and I don't favor banning them.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »

Oh yeah another reason why I hate frats is because you have to pay them money. Its like paying people to be your friends. hah
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »

Notice which authoritarian party has the most "yes" votes?  Freedom loving Dem's must be so proud!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »

Notice which authoritarian party has the most "yes" votes?  Freedom loving Dem's must be so proud!

Well, it was Mr. Freedom himself who started this thread.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:32:12 PM »

Democrats just hate elitism in all forms imho. That is all.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:07 PM »

If you think frats are elite then you obviously didn't go the same kinda school I did.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 11:37:18 PM »

According to Duke, frat boys think rape is funny. And based on experience I wouldn't be surprised since every single person I've ever met who was in a frat was a dick. That's my whole point. Frat boys are just asshole rapists.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2008, 11:41:45 PM by sbane »

If you think frats are elite then you obviously didn't go the same kinda school I did.

Yes they are elite to a point. You do have to have extra cash lying around to join. That's kinda elitist right? Plus they get to choose who they let in and who they dont. Again kinda elitist. Of course I am not implying that alcoholism is a sign of elitism lol.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »

According to Duke, frat boys think rape is funny. And based on experience I wouldn't be surprised since every single person I've ever met who was in a frat was a dick. That's my whole point. Frat boys are just asshole rapists.

I Purple heart your generalizations!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »

Yes they are elite to a point. You do have to have extra cash lying around to join. That's kinda elitist right? Plus they get to choose who they let in and who they dont. Again kinda elitist. Of course I am not implying that alcoholism is a sign of elitism lol.

So basically they are exactly like... the College Democrats, or Model UN, or, or, or....

Also, often times they aren't "paying for their friends"... that's a myth.  What they are paying for is hosting the parties that everyone else gets to enjoy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 11:44:09 PM »

Well rape should be punished, of course.  Any Frats actively supporting it and teaching it's members how to get away with it shouldn't be allowed.  But being a dick isn't against the law.  You can't ban things you don't like.  Period.  That makes you a dick.

Again, you're worse than a Fundie.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »

So basically they are exactly like... the College Democrats, or Model UN, or, or, or....

Also, often times they aren't "paying for their friends"... that's a myth.  What they are paying for is hosting the parties that everyone else gets to enjoy.

Yeah,yeah my frat buddies gave the same explanation and its fine but its just not for me. They are just kinda dumb imho. Of course banning them is kinda ridiculous.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies