BBC - Abkhazia launches air and artillery strikes on Georgian forces.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:22:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BBC - Abkhazia launches air and artillery strikes on Georgian forces.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BBC - Abkhazia launches air and artillery strikes on Georgian forces.  (Read 1559 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »
« edited: August 09, 2008, 11:46:42 AM by Jacobtm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7551595.stm

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This could get quite messy. What're the odds of Adjara joining the fray?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

Jesus Christ, I knew this was imminent.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »

Adjara won't get involved because Turkey might then join the fray on Georgia's side (out of fear of escalating support for separatism in the area).
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »

Adjara won't get involved because Turkey might then join the fray on Georgia's side (out of fear of escalating support for separatism in the area).

Not to be an ass--I know next to nothing about the region between Russia and the mid-east--but are you seriously saying Turkey, and by extension NATO, would get into a war with Russia over some small provinces of Georgia? That seems about as ridiculous as the start of WWI. Entangling alliances...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 01:13:36 PM »

Not to be an ass--I know next to nothing about the region between Russia and the mid-east--but are you seriously saying Turkey, and by extension NATO, would get into a war with Russia over some small provinces of Georgia? That seems about as ridiculous as the start of WWI. Entangling alliances...

No, Turkey would just occupy Adjara the way they occupied Iraqi Kurdistan. They wouldn't go to war with Russia.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

Adjaria has a Georgian (albeit muslim population). Saakashvilli actually regained this territory without a war and was welcomed as a liberator.
On the other hand, the Russians haven't yet bombed Batumi, the other major port in Georgia, which is in Adjaria.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »

I should have shorted BP stocks on Friday given that it's the number one holder in the BTC pipiline.

Oh well, it's only fake money.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »

When I first heard that war had broken out in Georgia yesterday, I assumed the fighting was in Abkhazia, so I'm not surprised the conflict has spread there. I wonder if they might cancel the Sochi Olympics if this goes on for a while. Having the games in a totalitarian state is one thing, but a war zone is a whole nother matter.

I get your point, but the larger issue is that Russia can't be a regional bully. Georgia shouldn't be punished by them just because they want to join NATO. Its too early to see how the NATO aspect of this plays out. Maybe Medvedev is trying to prove what a "great" leader he is by starting a war.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2008, 03:32:51 AM by 我寻找感觉和方向 »

Maybe Medvedev is trying to prove what a "great" leader he is by starting a war.

Or maybe he is trying to prove how he can well listen to Putin, if ever Medvedev is trying to prove something.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies