When should secession be supported and when shouldn't it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:00:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  When should secession be supported and when shouldn't it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When should secession be supported and when shouldn't it?  (Read 2949 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »

So you really think that the Ossetians and the Abkhazians would welcome the Georgian army  after the civil war?
I really don't think they'd care about replacing Russian troops with Georgian troops. I doubt they like being Russian puppet states.
It seems the Ossetians at least, want to unite with North Ossetia - ie with Russia. In any case, it's the Georgian army which they have a violent conflict. I think they preffer the Russians to the Georgians. And many, if not most have Russian citizenship.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »

My view: When a clear majority of the local population wishes to secede, that they will provide protection for the rights of those who disagree and do not force them to leave, they have good motivations for leaving and that they are willing to be a peaceful member of the international community.
I would say that Kosovo fullfils between one and two of those conditions. And this is being generous.

I'd say three. Two is debatable.
And I'd say two (1st and 3rd). Three is debatable (4th). Tongue
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »

My view: When a clear majority of the local population wishes to secede, that they will provide protection for the rights of those who disagree and do not force them to leave, they have good motivations for leaving and that they are willing to be a peaceful member of the international community.
I would say that Kosovo fullfils between one and two of those conditions. And this is being generous.

I wonder how South Ossetia ranks on this scale. I would say 1st and 3rd, probably 4th.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

I wonder how South Ossetia ranks on this scale. I would say 1st and 3rd, probably 4th.
Given that South Ossetia has never (in the modern era, anyhow) been a de facto part of an independent Georgia, I would consider it unrateable.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »

When the seceding nation wins.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp