Coup d'etat in Mauritania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Coup d'etat in Mauritania
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coup d'etat in Mauritania  (Read 2551 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7544834.stm

Poor country...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »

And it was just two days ago that I was marveling at the transition to democracy that had taken place. Sad
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »

Charming. Sad
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »

So much for this one. Sad Makes me glad to live somewhere where we don't have to worry about these sorts of things.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2008, 03:32:21 PM by StateBoiler »

So much for this one. Sad Makes me glad to live somewhere where we don't have to worry about these sorts of things.

Why not? Maybe if our politicians thought they had a threat of having a gun pointed at them, they'd actually do a job worth a rat's ass, as opposed to our current system where Congress has 15% approval, 95% of those that make up the organism with 15% approval get reelected, and the vast majority of the American public are castrated from having any real power and can't improve things, even via the ballot box.

The greatest thing that ever happened to this country was a mob in Massachusetts led by Daniel Shays picked up some guns and started shooting at the local government officials. It was their way of saying "you're not doing good enough!" Because of Shays Rebellion, we have the Constitution.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »

Led by General Muhammad Ould ‘Abd Al-‘Aziz, who also led the 2005 coup.

Apparently, he broke with President Abdallahi, whose candidacy he had supported in 2007.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »

Why not? Maybe if our politicians thought they had a threat of having a gun pointed at them, they'd actually do a job worth a rat's ass, as opposed to our current system where Congress has 15% approval, 95% of those that make up the organism with 15% approval get reelected, and the vast majority of the American public are castrated from having any real power and can't improve things, even via the ballot box.

The greatest thing that ever happened to this country was a mob in Massachusetts led by Daniel Shays picked up some guns and started shooting at the local government officials. It was their way of saying "you're not doing good enough!" Because of Shays Rebellion, we have the Constitution.

While I agree that the politicians need someone to light a fire under their seats, violence isn't the answer. After the Coup occurs & the politicians are overthrown, there's nothing to stop them from going after any random person who happens to not like them.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

yet again... It seems like it was only yesterday when they last had a coup.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »

yet again... It seems like it was only yesterday when they last had a coup.

2005. But it does seem like yesterday, actually.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »

And this was in a country with televised debates, too.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 06:22:10 PM »

I agree. The politicians of Bolivia and El Salvador are the most competent in the world.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2008, 10:09:45 PM by StateBoiler »

I agree. The politicians of Bolivia and El Salvador are the most competent in the world.

Well, in case you haven't noticed, the American model of "mildly apathetic public that lets elected officials do what they want with little constraints" is failing. So there has to be another model that holds officials more accountable, but one does not exist currently. Look at the EU, they're trying to create a centralized organ that is even less accountable to the individual. Your country itself is quite the piece of work. So tell me how else we can make this better? In case you haven't noticed, politicians and other high individuals have an ambition of power, and they will subvert public will to gain it, and it does not matter whether it's a democracy or not. There's bad democracies just as there are enlightened despots. And don't give me that Churchill quote either of "democracy is the worst form of government other than all the other ones". The essence of it is Churchill saying "democracy's a failure, but we have to pretend it's working".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How are you going to light the fire under their seats? Congress is not accountable to anyone currently. That's why they get nothing done. And don't give me some joke answer like "elections", cause it's very clear in our society that elections don't work cause the value of one individual vote has been incredibly cheapened and it's likely the district you live in is one of the 95% that is biased towards one party always winning.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »

And a government fell in Mauritania, and no one heard.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »

How are you going to light the fire under their seats? Congress is not accountable to anyone currently. That's why they get nothing done. And don't give me some joke answer like "elections", cause it's very clear in our society that elections don't work cause the value of one individual vote has been incredibly cheapened and it's likely the district you live in is one of the 95% that is biased towards one party always winning.

Nonviolent protest can go far. A violent coup is something of an overreaction. In "Civil Disobedience," Henry David Thoreau puts forward a blueprint for nonviolent resistance like that used by Mohandas Gahndi & Martin Luther King, Jr.. There are ways to change things besides force, regardless of how disenfranchised voters are.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2008, 10:11:31 AM by 我寻找感觉和方向 »

Each of these cases have eclipsed the huge violences there were around them and without which their actions wouldn't have worked or simply wouldn't have had some sense.

It seems that big changes always need a part of force to occur. And what I think for sure it is that strong real changes are long to occur. "Revolutions" are just some kind of knee-jerk reactions of a society, at best some steps.

Well, in case you haven't noticed, the American model of "mildly apathetic public that lets elected officials do what they want with little constraints" is failing. So there has to be another model that holds officials more accountable, but one does not exist currently. Look at the EU, they're trying to create a centralized organ that is even less accountable to the individual. Your country itself is quite the piece of work. So tell me how else we can make this better? In case you haven't noticed, politicians and other high individuals have an ambition of power, and they will subvert public will to gain it, and it does not matter whether it's a democracy or not. There's bad democracies just as there are enlightened despots. And don't give me that Churchill quote either of "democracy is the worst form of government other than all the other ones". The essence of it is Churchill saying "democracy's a failure, but we have to pretend it's working".

I must say I fully agree with most of this. I would add on this that citizens are letting them dying. They let them lose themselves in some sort of emotional and irrational atmosphere in which no matter the reality, this one is no more important, it is its perception which is important. How it makes the job easy for politicians to manipulate the population! They understood it very well, they no more do politics, they do communication, and I know what I speak about with the illusionist Sarkozy, and let's watch the next wonderful example of it with the wonderful David Cameron over the Channel.

Next step? To me, the fact that peoples finish by no more trusting politicians to give their trust to those who will exploit far more this emotional and irrational atmosphere, which would be those who would pretend to speak in the name of "God"... Welcome to the future! Maybe, maybe not...

Mauritania? That's really bad for this country. The regime which was trying to be established seemed to be really interesting and began to give results for the country...

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »

Considering that Mauritania has had something like 15 coups and attempted coups since 1962 this is not all that suprising. Though I had to marvel at that number, it's insanely high even for your average sub-Saharan African nation.
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »

Led by General Muhammad Ould ‘Abd Al-‘Aziz, who also led the 2005 coup.

Apparently, he broke with President Abdallahi, whose candidacy he had supported in 2007.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes...

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 11:45:20 PM »

Considering that Mauritania has had something like 15 coups and attempted coups since 1962 this is not all that suprising. Though I had to marvel at that number, it's insanely high even for your average sub-Saharan African nation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies