is the tobacco industry unfairly demonized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:32:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: is the tobacco industry unfairly demonized?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: is the tobacco industry unfairly demonized?  (Read 5952 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »

Yes, and by doing so they are putting hard working farmers out of business.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »

No. They want people to get addicted to their disgusting crap and deliberately target minors in their advertising.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Yes they are.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »

No. They want people to get addicted to their disgusting crap and deliberately target minors in their advertising.
^^^^^^

If anything, they aren't demonized enough.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

My hatred of the tobacco industry goes back a long way.  Back to the days when they hired "experts", first to advertise that smoking was healthy (the real old days) and later, to testify that is was not harmful or could not be proven harmful.

However, I treat big tobacco like the purveyors of alcohol and gambling.  No one is forcing anyone to smoke or chew.  No one is forcing anyone to drink or buy a lotto ticket.  And though tobacco is far more addictive to more people, there are also casual smokers.  There are people who smoke like I drink.  They have a cigarette after supper or they chew a wad during the big game.  But they are not constantly at it.

I do not give the tobacco folks (or the alcohol/gambling industries) a free pass.  I believe in sin taxes and in education efforts to prevent addictive behavior.

But to me, there is a difference between these jerks and the oil industry, the utilities and the pharmaceutical scumbags.  People need their products to live and work.  Gouging the consumer and/or rewarding already fabulously rich executives with multi-million dollar bonuses while consumers go broke is criminal and immoral.

It's one thing if your town is wiped off the map by a storm and I roll in with cartons of overpriced smokes to sell...and it's quite another if I come into town with heating oil priced ten times what I paid for it. 
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:58:04 PM »

... and deliberately target minors in their advertising.
So have the Alcohol Industry.

With that said I have no sympathy due to all of the things they've pulled before plus the subsidies they still receive. Although a lot of these smoking lawsuits are ridiculous. I'm sorry but if you chose to pick up the habit after they put warnings on their products, you have no right to complain.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »

Yes.  Just like alcohol; they don't force people to smoke.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »

To add, the health dangers of tobacco are well-publicized.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »

There are also conservative causes that are hurting hard working American farmers... and unfortunately the only results of those causes are unsafe food and horrific labor and sanitary practices.  At least by demonizing the tobacco industry people might be better off.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »

It's a tough call as to who's worse, the heads of Big Tobacco or the people behind the terribly unfunny and unappealing anti-Big Tobacco ads. Those ads have probably got more people to smoke than anything BT has ever done.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »

Yes, but only because of the degree to which they are demonized. The larger tobacco companies are by no means the most ethical companies in the world and they've certainly done things that should be abhorred, but the level of criticism they get is excessive.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:27:48 PM »

The tobacco industry has no real power anymore, so there's no point in "demonizing" them. People who are addicted to nicotine just need to get help.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »

I'm assuming you have no problem with any drug dealers then? They don't force people to take drugs, do they?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:52 PM »

I think that they deserve a lot of what they get but I was just thinking about how we now refuse to take personal responsibility for deciding to smoke. It's always someone else's fault...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »

The tobacco industry was very slow to ever admit that smoking could be harmful. Obviously such a statement is bad for profits, but it's good for the millions of lives put at risk.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »

I think that they deserve a lot of what they get but I was just thinking about how we now refuse to take personal responsibility for deciding to smoke. It's always someone else's fault...
I always come down hard on my smoking friends for being such f***ing stupid immoral dumbasses for smoking, but I think they're smart and affluent and should know better.
I think a lot of poor uneducated young people don't really grasp how bad for you they are, though, and the tobacco companies love that.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »

I'm assuming you have no problem with any drug dealers then? They don't force people to take drugs, do they?

How often do you see stories about people burglarizing houses or robbing people to feed their nicotine habit? Or launching gang wars over the cigarette trade? And which foreign terrorist groups receive money from sales of tobacco?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »

How often do you see stories about people burglarizing houses or robbing people to feed their nicotine habit? Or launching gang wars over the cigarette trade? And which foreign terrorist groups receive money from sales of tobacco?

That's because its legal.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »

The last two are, yes, what's your point? My problem with drug dealers is the affects on society, not the affects of the drug on the individual. Now you can argue that those affects would be removed by legalization (which I would largely agree on), but the previous poster was not discussing the legal status of drugs, rather that drug dealers are somehow bad because people get addicted to their products.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »

Yes but the drinking age is too high anyway, so I don't care.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

I love how the government that cares about YOU demonizes BIG TOBACCO but if everyone quit smoking tomorrow the government would in the tank because they take in a criminal amount on tobacco taxes.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »

I love how the government that cares about YOU demonizes BIG TOBACCO but if everyone quit smoking tomorrow the government would in the tank because they take in a criminal amount on tobacco taxes.
We would make it up in by collecting more income, sales, etc. taxes on people in their longer lives, and people would become more productive members of society, thereby increasing the tax base and decreasing what the government needs to spend to fix.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »

We would make it up in by collecting more income, sales, etc. taxes on people in their longer lives, and people would become more productive members of society, thereby increasing the tax base and decreasing what the government needs to spend to fix.

Long term thinking, Harry?  We're gonna make a pubbie out of you yet.   Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies