Were the Serbs the better side in the Croatian War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Were the Serbs the better side in the Croatian War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Were the Serbs the better side in the Croatian War?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Were the Serbs the better side in the Croatian War?  (Read 1606 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
« edited: August 04, 2008, 10:13:59 PM by What a Horrible Night for a Curse »

I'd say so. At least the "least bad" side. Remember, Croatia, not Bosnia.

Who did the majority of ethnic cleansing? Who used Nazi imagery and lauded Nazi collaborators as national heroes? Not the Serbs.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:23:23 PM »

Why are you so obsessed with the Serbs?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2008, 10:37:57 PM by What a Horrible Night for a Curse »

Unfair demonization. See the recent love for Kosovo and the thugs running Kosovo, and Supersoulty once proposing they be "bombed into the stone age."

If the Croats had largely controlled the Yugoslav government in 1991, rather than the Serbs, than some Croat guy would be seen as the largest villain of the time rather than Slobodan Milosevic who would be an unknown only people in the region would care about and no one would've cared about the capture of Karadazic who would've been a very minor player. Rather some Croat thug would be the big deal. In a nutshell: All things equal the Croats were no better than the Serbs, they just had less opportunity to commit blatant atrocities.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:56:11 AM »

If the Croats had largely controlled the Yugoslav government in 1991, rather than the Serbs, than some Croat guy would be seen as the largest villain of the time rather than Slobodan Milosevic who would be an unknown only people in the region would care about and no one would've cared about the capture of Karadazic who would've been a very minor player. Rather some Croat thug would be the big deal. In a nutshell: All things equal the Croats were no better than the Serbs, they just had less opportunity to commit blatant atrocities.

This is an argument that neither side was better than the other, not that the Serbs were the better side than the Croats.

It's also an argument which is hugely speculative, subjective and based on what was an impossible premise (that the Croats could have largely controlled the Yugoslav governement in 1991) rendering any conclusions to be, at best, of very dubious worth. Both sides committed terible and appalling acts. And the Serbs proved themselves capable of this sort of thing again and again after the Croatian War, e.g. in Bosnia and Kosovo. There's a reason why so many nations sought independence from Serbian dominated Yugoslavia.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »

Unfair demonization. See the recent love for Kosovo and the thugs running Kosovo, and Supersoulty once proposing they be "bombed into the stone age."

If the Croats had largely controlled the Yugoslav government in 1991,
rather than the Serbs, than some Croat guy would be seen as the largest villain of the time rather than Slobodan Milosevic who would be an unknown only people in the region would care about and no one would've cared about the capture of Karadazic who would've been a very minor player. Rather some Croat thug would be the big deal. In a nutshell: All things equal the Croats were no better than the Serbs, they just had less opportunity to commit blatant atrocities.

that wouldn't have happened, as Belgrade and its accompanying bureaucracy and infrastructure were located in Serbia, and therefore staffed mostly by Serbs. Also, Yugoslavia contained more Serbs than Croats.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »

I can't say. But as of right now, I don't like Serbia because of their constant temper-tantrum throwing when anything doesn't go their way (they're always angry at the EU, USA, UN, everyone who recognized Kosovo, etc.) The way they relied on Russia to sabotage Kosovo's independence was annoying (although I was not a huge supporter of independence, I feel the province should be annexed by Albania since 90% of Kosovars are ethnically Albanians, but prefer independence to remaining part of Serbia). Also, the Croats are making an effort to join Europe and become a stable, prosperous country, Serbia could follow their example instead of trying to become a pariah.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:09:09 AM »

If the Croats had largely controlled the Yugoslav government in 1991,
rather than the Serbs, than some Croat guy would be seen as the largest villain of the time rather than Slobodan Milosevic who would be an unknown only people in the region would care about and no one would've cared about the capture of Karadazic who would've been a very minor player. Rather some Croat thug would be the big deal. In a nutshell: All things equal the Croats were no better than the Serbs, they just had less opportunity to commit blatant atrocities.

that wouldn't have happened, as Belgrade and its accompanying bureaucracy and infrastructure were located in Serbia, and therefore staffed mostly by Serbs. Also, Yugoslavia contained more Serbs than Croats.

Well yes it's just a hypothetical, but look at how the Croats behaved on their own territory. For example raiding Serbian villages and killing civilians with hammers in order to save bullets.

And the Republic of Serbian Krajina was 100% justified in its rebellion. Anyone who isn't a Croat nationalist Nazi would agree:

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:20:10 AM »

See this map for comparioson:

Obviously, the Croatians have behaved in a most European way.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:40 AM »

I'm guessing Red is Croat, Blue is Serb, and Black is Slovene. What are Pink and Yellow?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »

I'm guessing Red is Croat, Blue is Serb, and Black is Slovene. What are Pink and Yellow?
Black is Italian, Pink is Hungarian and Yellow is Czech.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2008, 08:39:08 PM by Torie »

The Serbs went for the gold BRTD, and lost, and got raspberries instead. You do remember that the Serbs invaded Croatia don't you and grabbed the Eastern end of the country. The Serbs fled from Krajina when Slobo wrote them off.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »

The Croats are pretty much the unsung villains of the war, and Tudjman deserved to sit in the dock at the Hague every bit as much as Milosevic did. For the most part however they have gotten off free, while Serbia has had a ridiculous double standard applied to them, where the West intervened in favor of a terrorist insurgency in Kosovo.

That said, there is a reason for this. Croatia voted out the HDZ which has also cleaned up its own leadership, and Croatia has clearly moved beyond its early 1990s behavior. Serbia has not. Second, as much as the Croatians wanted a racially pure Croatia, they mainly wanted to be left alone within its borders. Its hard to see how they could be a worse side, than the Serbs who wanted to ethnically cleanse other people's countries. So the Croatians as nasty as they were, obviously were the better side, and had the Serbs won, disaster would have followed.

As for Kosovo

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wouldn't call it temper-tantrums. In fact it is all completely justified. The US and the West attacked Serbia in the midst of a counterinsurgency campaign against a group of terrorists whose primary activity was blowing up police stations. The West did this based on atrocity stories almost all of which proved have no basis in reality and to have been manufactured by the KLA. Then Serbia agreed to withdraw from Kosovo in exchange for UN and US guarantees to protect the Serb population and to keep Kosovo part of Serbia. The United States broke its solemn word on both counts. It allowed the Albanians to ethnically cleanse Kosovo far more thoroughly than the Serbs had done in Bosnia, and then when the Albanians declared independence in violation of international law, the US recognized them. I would be very pissed.

As for the Albanians deserving their own state, they already have one. Kosovo has always been a Serb area, and the only reason it is 90% Albanian is because the Albanians ethnically cleansed it of Serbs during World War II when they sided with the Nazis. Albanian claims of victim hood can not be taken at face value, they are one of the nationalist groups that have proven completely incapable of living in multicultural nations, see Macedonia for another example. The handling of Kosovo is one of the darkest chapters in American foreign policy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:23:32 AM »

I wouldn't call it temper-tantrums. In fact it is all completely justified. The US and the West attacked Serbia in the midst of a counterinsurgency campaign against a group of terrorists whose primary activity was blowing up police stations. The West did this based on atrocity stories almost all of which proved have no basis in reality and to have been manufactured by the KLA. Then Serbia agreed to withdraw from Kosovo in exchange for UN and US guarantees to protect the Serb population and to keep Kosovo part of Serbia. The United States broke its solemn word on both counts. It allowed the Albanians to ethnically cleanse Kosovo far more thoroughly than the Serbs had done in Bosnia, and then when the Albanians declared independence in violation of international law, the US recognized them. I would be very pissed.

As for the Albanians deserving their own state, they already have one. Kosovo has always been a Serb area, and the only reason it is 90% Albanian is because the Albanians ethnically cleansed it of Serbs during World War II when they sided with the Nazis. Albanian claims of victim hood can not be taken at face value, they are one of the nationalist groups that have proven completely incapable of living in multicultural nations, see Macedonia for another example. The handling of Kosovo is one of the darkest chapters in American foreign policy.

I pretty much pointed this out before (explaining to Supersoulty the only "genocide" going on in Kosovo was Serbian security forces killing terrorist thugs.) and I got compared to a Holocaust denier. Ridiculous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies