Do Old People Complain Too Much?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do Old People Complain Too Much?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Old People Complain Too Much?  (Read 4404 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »
« edited: August 03, 2008, 10:03:15 PM by Supersoulty »

I'm not talking about the stereotypical 80 something shouting at the kids to get off their lawn.  I am talking about the AARP crowd who constantly demand more, more, more and are currently lamenting that they might have to work past traditional retirement ages.

I of course think they do.  I think baby boomers and people around 70 seem far more interested in getting whatever they can from society so they can spend 20 years living without being productive citizens, than on making a decent world for their grandkids.  Honestly, I am sick and tired of people who are on the way out trying grabbing things from people who still have lives to live.

Frankly, once I start working in earnest, I don't plan on ever retiring and I mean that.

"Oh no... I might not be able to have the totally self-absorbed retirement I always dreamed of."
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »

I guess it's more to do with upbringing. Those who were born in the aftermath of the Second World War in countries that were not devastated (i.e. North America) grew up in a world with no shortages, and start to develop an entitlement mentality. It's been the same for everyone born since.

By contrast my grandparents, who lived in the worst possible situations (civil war, Cultural Revolution, famine, etc) have hardly grumbled. They appreciate the relative affluence they now have.

Once we're forced to rebuild economies with the decline of abundant energy (which lubricates the entire world as we know it), I suspect attitudes will quickly change.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »

My grandpa is 78 and works two jobs and has since he "retired".  He also golfs 4 days per week, works out 3 days per week, goes to church 3 days per week and does "current events" with students at the school there and is involved in all sorts of social functions.  

I mean, the man was having a heart attack and drove 4 hours from Minneapolis during the whole thing.  I wish some of his work ethic could rub off on me a bit.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »

They are pissed because they are dealing with a broken promise by the government.  

From the time it was formed until the early 70s, all the current seniors in the country were given guarantees by our leaders (especially the Democrats in campaigns) that Social Security and Medicare would be all they would need once they retired so there were no IRAs or 401ks or any personal responsibility required or recommended when it came to retirement.  Unfortunately, the experts who projected that didn't account for heavy amounts of inflation and a slow in population growth that occurred in the decades after it.

The idea of $1000 a month checks and only having to pay for prescription drugs and short hospital visits as enough to retire with just didn't go as far as Lyndon Johnson thought it would.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 10:17:25 PM »

Nah, I generally find old people pretty cool.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »

I wouldn't say Seniors so much as Baby Boomers. However the way to remedy that is for Gen Y to actually mobilize itself to promote our causes like they did. Hopefully we'll be less self absorbed about it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »

No. I think most older people want to see only the best for their children and grandchildren.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

They do complain quite a bit, but their level of complaint pales by comparison to the horror of their situation.  I mean do you realize what awaits us all?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »

They do complain quite a bit, but their level of complaint pales by comparison to the horror of their situation.  I mean do you realize what awaits us all?

Yes, but why worry about the inevitable? Enjoy life to the fullest. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »

Yes, but why worry about the inevitable? Enjoy life to the fullest. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I agree. Worrying about death isn't going to make it go away.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »

Here, Here!  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 04:16:56 AM »

I agree. Worrying about death isn't going to make it go away.

I wasn't really talking about death, but rather those several years of misery, pain, and helplessness that typically precede it.  And I agree that one should keep a stiff upper lip and all that, but my point was just that the elderly are actually pretty tough for only complaining a little bit in the face of a really horrific situation.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »

I don't know if they complain too much or not.  I do know that they saved the world about 65 years ago.  So they are my heroes.

(Even if I do curse them when they are driving 25 in a 55.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies