Tories keep double digit lead over Labour.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:32:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tories keep double digit lead over Labour.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tories keep double digit lead over Labour.  (Read 2567 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/31420/camerons_tories_keep_large_lead_in_britain

Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »

When will the next elections be held?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »

Not news. Why are you posting a separate thread for one poll that doesn't tell us anything we haven't known since about March?

Anyway, next election is probably in May 2010, to coincide with locals, unless an intra-party coup overthrows Brown, in which case the new PM (probably one of Harriet Harman, Jack Straw or David Milliband if it happened) might try for a snap election in late 2008 or early 2009 if Labour experience a sudden rebound after a change of leader. The next election has to be held in June 2010 at the latest (five years and a month after the previous election in May 2005), but British elections are usually bundled together in May (so Westminster, local, Euro and Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish elections happen in clumps, although not all at the same time).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »

Why are you posting a separate thread for one poll that doesn't tell us anything we haven't known since about March?

Roll Eyes

Eh, sorry, almighty one. I haven't seen anything about it and saw it as a news item. I can't monitor what you know and don't know since a certain point.

The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

Not news. Why are you posting a separate thread for one poll that doesn't tell us anything we haven't known since about March?

There are a lot of Americans on this forum who don't give a full cavity search to UK political news every day, perhaps he wanted to post this for everyone and find out more information.

That is after all... the point of the forum isn't it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »

There are a lot of Americans on this forum who don't give a full cavity search to UK political news every day, perhaps he wanted to post this for everyone and find out more information.

That is after all... the point of the forum isn't it?

Exactly. Thank you.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »

Is it an Angus-Reid poll?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

Looks like it. I guess their lead isn't really that big then...  Sad
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »

We already have a UK Polling Thread in International Elections, IIRC.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »

Then maybe your friendly moderator could be so kind as to move my thread there instead of simply deleting it. I'll know in the future.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »

No; it's in this board. Somewhere. Probably on page two or three.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 04:03:33 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=65387.0
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

Sometime.

Can't be much more specific than that, except that it won't be in the immediate future.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »

Why are you posting a separate thread for one poll that doesn't tell us anything we haven't known since about March?

Roll Eyes

Eh, sorry, almighty one. I haven't seen anything about it and saw it as a news item. I can't monitor what you know and don't know since a certain point.

Come now. If you care enough about British politics to search out a poll, surely you care enough to actually read the various threads on these forums about British politics. Or you're just having an orgasm over a party with "conservative" in its name leading polls.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 10:44:04 PM »

Roll Eyes

Come now. If you care enough about British politics to search out a poll, surely you care enough to actually read the various threads on these forums about British politics. Or you're just having an orgasm over a party with "conservative" in its name leading polls.

Are you really going to grill me because I didn't notice a thread that was way back on this board dedicated to polls? And then you're going to blame it on me just "having an orgasm" over a news story regarding "conservatives?" Really? You're really going to say something that stupid?

The fact of the matter is that it was a recent poll (the last one was some time ago) and it was a news story. Like UTNorris said, I don't follow British politics 24/7. Some of us have other things to follow here at home.  Roll Eyes  However, many people know of my interest in the subject. I don't need to prove it to you.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:33 AM »

I'm going to have to side against Verily on this one.  The poll is something that is worth informing forumgoers about, and I have no problem with it having its own thread.  Sorry, Verily.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 12:58:28 AM »

Roll Eyes

Then again maybe you're being all prissy because the Lib Dems are having no success whatsoever, while were at making stupid claims.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »

I'm going to have to side against Verily on this one.  The poll is something that is worth informing forumgoers about, and I have no problem with it having its own thread.  Sorry, Verily.

No need for a new thread. Use the UK Polls thread.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 08:10:12 AM »

Agreed.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »

Roll Eyes

Then again maybe you're being all prissy because the Lib Dems are having no success whatsoever, while were at making stupid claims.

Thank you, but no. I have, after all, had a few years to get used to the notion.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »

I take it that everyone now realises why I don't allow polls-outside-election-time over at the international elections board... though the speed at which this thread headed down the route I'm hinting at is unusually "impressive"...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:51:52 AM »

Agreed.

Some people really need to get over themselves. I accidentally posted a poll on its own. I was unaware of the polling thread. I guess this means I suddenly don't care enough about British politics for the cool kids/experts around here and I'm just "having an orgasm over a party with 'conservative' in its name."

Roll Eyes

I guess you guys still don't understand how silly that sounds...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2008, 10:34:44 AM by Jas »

Some people really need to get over themselves. I accidentally posted a poll on its own. I was unaware of the polling thread. I guess this means I suddenly don't care enough about British politics for the cool kids/experts around here and I'm just "having an orgasm over a party with 'conservative' in its name."

Roll Eyes

I guess you guys still don't understand how silly that sounds...

Roll your eyes all you want, but you'll note if you reread my comment and Hashemite's, that neither of us used any vitriol, malice or indeed anything neceessarily negative at all. No comment was made or inferred or implied as to your character, or your interest in British politics, or anything of the sort. Given that, I'd appreciate it if you withdrew your condescending comments.

I appreciate that you made a mistake - that's fine. Frankly, I don't care a great deal. There are numerous UK polls and I simply disagreed with Mikado's comment that this one (or indeed any UK poll) warrants a thread of its own. (Hence, why I dodn't make any comment until Mikado's statement of support appeared.) Such threads would clog up the board unnecessarily. Believe it or not, this was my sole motivation for agreeing with Hashemite's remark.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

This thread is okay. But if you follow British politics, then its old news. I knew the Tories were leading by double digits, but didn't know the exact numbers.

I hope they hold the election well before May 2010. The later it happens, the bigger the backlash against Labour will be. One of the few things Gerhard Schroeder did right was hold the German Federal Election a year early, at a time when his party was supposedly unpopular, yet the the CDU almost lost, because people weren't discontent enough to trust them yet. Gordon can't just keep waiting for people to fall in love with him, it won't happen (only if there's some unknown crisis).

Another example is if John Major had held the election in May 1996 instead of a year later, I would assume (although can't be certain), that Labour's landslide would have been noticably smaller, maybe 390 or so seats instead of 419. The longer you wait, the more resentment builds.

How about this scenario: Replace Gordon Brown with David Miliband as Prime Minister and then hold a snap election either late this year or next spring.

Right now I support David Cameron, but I'd probably switch back to Labour if Miliband was made leader. I was strongly against Labour's decison to increase the police detention period to 42 days. That is just awful. Its like 24 hours in America. Britain came up with habeus corpus in the first place! The only reason it was passed was so that Brown could look "tough" in front of the voters, yet he'd lose anyway.

The Lib Dems should be higher in that poll. Have they ever been over 25% in the polls since 1979?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 11:24:08 PM »

This thread is okay. But if you follow British politics, then its old news. I knew the Tories were leading by double digits, but didn't know the exact numbers.

It's a new poll which was just released after a the hatching of a new "scandal" in British politics. Please stop hinting that anyone who "actually follows" this stuff sees this as "old news." The fact that they are leading by double digits might not be new but the fact that they are maintaining that lead is worthy of discussion.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies