Mayor Boris backs Barack.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:39:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mayor Boris backs Barack.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mayor Boris backs Barack.  (Read 3408 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 11:24:36 PM »

probably half to two-thirds of the membership preferred the Democrats over here. McCain is not the type of figure who would have much appeal in the UK(or anywhere in Europe really, except maybe Denmark).

Which is kind of odd since McCain was invited to speak and was well received (as far as I could tell) at a Tory convention of some sort about a year ago.

I figured that McCain would have some appeal in Europe at the very least because of the perception that he's center-right and not exactly from the more extreme wing of the party.

To put things into perspective, there was a YouGov poll on which American candidate Britons preferred. Tory supporters split evenly between Obama and McCain while Labour was something like 90-10 for Obama, and the survey found no Lib Dem voters who preferred McCain (must not have polled Montgomeryshire).

Well, that suggests that he has at least some appeal within Europe, though it is mainly with conservative voters. I have a feeling that Obama's support among Tories has a lot to do with McCain's strong support for the war and the fact that even McCain is more vocal about social issues than European conservatives.

That, but also be aware that Britain is more conservative (in an American sense of the word) and has less dislike for the US Republican Party than its continental counterparts.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »

probably half to two-thirds of the membership preferred the Democrats over here. McCain is not the type of figure who would have much appeal in the UK(or anywhere in Europe really, except maybe Denmark).

Which is kind of odd since McCain was invited to speak and was well received (as far as I could tell) at a Tory convention of some sort about a year ago.

I figured that McCain would have some appeal in Europe at the very least because of the perception that he's center-right and not exactly from the more extreme wing of the party.

To put things into perspective, there was a YouGov poll on which American candidate Britons preferred. Tory supporters split evenly between Obama and McCain while Labour was something like 90-10 for Obama, and the survey found no Lib Dem voters who preferred McCain (must not have polled Montgomeryshire).

Well, that suggests that he has at least some appeal within Europe, though it is mainly with conservative voters. I have a feeling that Obama's support among Tories has a lot to do with McCain's strong support for the war and the fact that even McCain is more vocal about social issues than European conservatives.

I think undoubtedly it comes down to foreign policy, and I have little doubt if this were 2000, McCain would have overwhelming support. Its just that his rightward shift in the last two years has gone over less well with Britons. Luckily for him, they can't vote, and it did get him the nomination, even if I think he could still have pulled that off with slightly less pandering than he ended up engaging in.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies