Which drugs do you think should be legal for personal use?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:00:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which drugs do you think should be legal for personal use?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Poll
Question: Which drugs do you think should be legal for personal use?
Alcohol

Tobacco

Marijuana

Heroin

Meth

Cocaine

Crack-Cocaine

Barbiturates

LSD

Magic Mushrooms

Ecstasy

Amphetamines

Salvia Divornium

Mescaline

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which drugs do you think should be legal for personal use?  (Read 36408 times)
Redefeatbush04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »

By making HARD  drugs legal you are admitting to younger people that its safe to come into the water.  Theres a reason why no politician will touch this with a 10ft pen.

Re-election? They know that if they were to bring it up they would seem like a lunatic in the eyes of the majority of the people they represent. Unfortunately it is because so few of them know anything about the matter. Nobody wants to see drug use increase. Yet I guarantee that they do not know a damned thing about which neurotransmitters are involved, the motives for using each drug, or even what the drug is half the time. More importantly - they don't know anything about supply and demand.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2008, 12:16:58 AM »

marijuana, mescaline, magic mushrooms, alcohol, lsd, ecstasy, salvia should all be legal for personal use

Fixed.

And you call yourself a conservative based on wanting weed to be legal?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2008, 12:55:57 AM »

Just curious, who here has done any of these drugs?

I've done them all, at least once.  Though I now limit myself to weed, alcohol, tobacco and LSD.  OK, so I'm trying to quit smoking.  BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THE PRICE (7 bucks a pack in Chicago). 

I really believe if you legalized the whole lot of it, the crimes associated with it would drop through the floor.  I personally know people that have done a lot of stuff just because they're sheep and want to be 'cool', and I'm 100% certain they wouldn't have done it if it was legal.

There's always going to be people like that, but also people like me, that just like to try things that warp their senses or conciousness.  But I'm in the very small minority.  And I have this thing called will power.  Take the taboo factor away and most people won't do it, and therefore won't get hooked enough to knock off old ladies, break into homes, kill dealers, etc.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2008, 01:44:47 AM »

marijuana, mescaline, magic mushrooms, alcohol, lsd, ecstasy, salvia should all be legal for personal use

Fixed.

Never said I was a conservative.

Its Common sense and understanding that hard drugs aren't good for people as it stands.
Making them "legal" therefore making them easier to gain access sends the wrong message and helps nobody. 
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2008, 03:41:08 AM »

I don't agree that it's common sense.

How many people OD or commit crimes after trying something the first time?  My bet would be that experimentation would go up, initially, then die down after just a few years, when the hipness wears off.  You'd still see plenty of users, but I'd bet alcohol use would be much higher than coke, meth, herion, et al combined (sans weed).  I can get anything I want, whenever I want, but I choose to drink, smoke a joint here and there and occasionally drop a few tabs. 

I know the arguments for legalization are largely speculative, but criminalizing this stuff obviously hasn't done a whole lot of good.  Unless you consider it 'good' to throw drug addicts in the clink to spend their time with rapists and murderers.  That's not just Hollywood, and if you think it is, spend five minutes in the Cook County lockup, see how much fun you have.  And in case you're unaware, drugs are pretty easy to get in prison.

I also highly doubt the crime rate would go up.  I'd argue it goes down.  No more dealers, no more 'possession with the intent to distribute' even though the person never planned to distribute anything, no more people that happened to be hanging around with users coming out of prison with a nice education in crime or just feeling like their life is pointless and don't care anymore...

I'll shut up now.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2008, 06:15:25 AM »

I don't agree that it's common sense.

How many people OD or commit crimes after trying something the first time?  My bet would be that experimentation would go up, initially, then die down after just a few years, when the hipness wears off.  You'd still see plenty of users, but I'd bet alcohol use would be much higher than coke, meth, herion, et al combined (sans weed).  I can get anything I want, whenever I want, but I choose to drink, smoke a joint here and there and occasionally drop a few tabs. 

I know the arguments for legalization are largely speculative, but criminalizing this stuff obviously hasn't done a whole lot of good.  Unless you consider it 'good' to throw drug addicts in the clink to spend their time with rapists and murderers.  That's not just Hollywood, and if you think it is, spend five minutes in the Cook County lockup, see how much fun you have.  And in case you're unaware, drugs are pretty easy to get in prison.

I also highly doubt the crime rate would go up.  I'd argue it goes down.  No more dealers, no more 'possession with the intent to distribute' even though the person never planned to distribute anything, no more people that happened to be hanging around with users coming out of prison with a nice education in crime or just feeling like their life is pointless and don't care anymore...

I'll shut up now.

The people that are always for making HARD drugs legal are the very people who use them.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »

Just curious, who here has done any of these drugs?
i've done weed and booze and turned down opportunities to use tobacco(the funny thing was that the time I turned down tobacco was the same time i toked up)
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »

Fixed.

Never said I was a conservative.

Its Common sense and understanding that hard drugs aren't good for people as it stands.
Making them "legal" therefore making them easier to gain access sends the wrong message and helps nobody. 

I have already agreed with your 1st sentence - that hard drugs aren't good for people

We disagree as to which drugs are hard drugs

Making them legal does not make it easier to gain access - especially for those where the market is already flooded. This is why alcohol is harder for youth to get than marijuana.

I feel like I'd be beating a dead horse to have to explain again all the people that would be helped by legalized drug use and why.......and it would be ALL THE PEOPLE

Honestly the reason a lot of people I've talked to in college started using drugs was BECAUSE it was illegal. We need to provide drug education. Not just programs that try and persuade people not to use them. They are going to here the other side from their friends. If we have ONLY bad stuff from "authority" and ONLY good stuff from friends, they are going to doubt the credibility of authority and wonder why the other side wasn't presented. They have to try to see for themselves. Deny it - but I have seen it happen far too many times. As for your comment that only users want legalization. Users aren't the only ones who want legalization - but they certainly have added incentive to push for it. Hell 2 of my 3 housemates don't smoke weed and one of them is more vocal than I am about legalization (hes a NH libertarian though lol).

EROWID.ORG
Most unbiased site - try and disprove anything

also - sorry about the spelling errors (hear -> here) etc
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »

Just weed, alcohol, and tabacco.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »

Maintain status quo, with medicinal marijuana left up to the states and purchase of Afghanistan's opium crop to end our shortage of morphine.  Methadone clinics for heroin addicts.  Maintain illegality of drugs already illegal.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »

It's not an option, but I think a number of prescription drugs should be available OTC as well.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »

I guess no one knows what salvia and mescaline are, otherwise they would be at the same level as marijuana for legality. Salvia is even legal is most US states.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »

The people that are always for making HARD drugs legal are the very people who use them.

That's not true. I don't use hard drugs, but I don't want them to remain illegal. I don't want people going to prison for what should be a personal choice.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »

That's not true. I don't use hard drugs, but I don't want them to remain illegal. I don't want people going to prison for what should be a personal choice.

Same here. I've never used anything on the list, but I want most of them to become legal.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »

I guess no one knows what salvia and mescaline are, otherwise they would be at the same level as marijuana for legality. Salvia is even legal is most US states.

I disagree.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »

I disagree.

Me too.  Salvia's probably just a fad.  And I think peyote use is largely regional/cultural.  It definitely doesn't get a lot of recreational use.  Not compared to everything else listed in this thread.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »

Same here. I've never used anything on the list, but I want most of them to become legal.
Aye.  And it's obvious Mr.Keller has no idea what a "hard drug" is.  From wiki:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »

Maintain status quo, with medicinal marijuana left up to the states and purchase of Afghanistan's opium crop to end our shortage of morphine.  Methadone clinics for heroin addicts.  Maintain illegality of drugs already illegal.

Totally agree.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2008, 01:30:07 AM »

there is no reason to trust national, state/province/estado or even local governments with the power to regulate drug usage or alcohol/tobacco usage or other forms of social engineering
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2008, 01:40:07 AM »

I disagree.

Me too.  Salvia's probably just a fad.  And I think peyote use is largely regional/cultural.  It definitely doesn't get a lot of recreational use.  Not compared to everything else listed in this thread.

I meant people on this thread. Salvia and mescaline have a lot fewer people voting for them to legal than marijuana, even though salvia actually is legal. (Mescaline is not.)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2008, 01:45:38 AM »

I disagree.

I meant people on this thread. Salvia and mescaline have a lot fewer people voting for them to legal than marijuana, even though salvia actually is legal. (Mescaline is not.)

Oh, but should Salvia, something has resulted in the most profound experiences of many people's lives, be treated the same as a mild intoxicant like wacky-tobacky?

I think it's completely fair to make Salvia more illegal than 95% of things out there.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2008, 01:51:47 AM »

I disagree.

Oh, but should Salvia, something has resulted in the most profound experiences of many people's lives, be treated the same as a mild intoxicant like wacky-tobacky?

I think it's completely fair to make Salvia more illegal than 95% of things out there.

God bless them, but the things my fellow democrats say sometimes.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2008, 01:52:23 AM »

I disagree.

Having Salvia legal while marijuana is not is absurd. l. I have never tried it but I have heard some stories.....
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2008, 01:53:37 AM »

Mike Keller - not sure what you mean by that.  I didn't say what the legal status of anything should be, simply where one item should be relative to the others.

sbane - you can Youtube that
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:26 AM »

Mike Keller - not sure what you mean by that.  I didn't say what the legal status of anything should be, simply where one item should be relative to the others.

sbane - you can Youtube that

Yeah crazy stuff....and its legal. F'in expensive though. Overall not worth it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies