95%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 03:13:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  95%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: 95%  (Read 13299 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 11:53:45 PM »

I hear that all of those racist blacks are voting in huge numbers for Cynthia McKinney.

Who is more black than Obama.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:58 AM »

McCain will win well over 80% of the white vote in states like MS and AL. I suppose we should call them out for being sheep as well, right?
BIG difference between 80% and 95% don't you think?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:19 AM »

Considering that Reagan and G W Bush supported extending the act, I would say that this isn't a particularly good reason.  1964 was a very long time ago.
I'm not sure about Bush but Reagan went on record in '66 as saying he would have opposed the act after previously saying he supported it.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 02:52:06 AM »

Point being the GOP's actions after the Civil Rights acts turned many African Americans away from their party and they haven't done anything since in order to get the African American vote back, 
I think people have a somewhat distorted perception of the GOP's record here. People forget that while Nixon was personally virulently racist he also pushed Affirmative Action and desegregation (granted with some program cuts). While the Southern Strategy was adopted in '68 the party didn't really fully implement it until '80.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 03:14:19 AM »

Point being the GOP's actions after the Civil Rights acts turned many African Americans away from their party and they haven't done anything since in order to get the African American vote back, 
I think people have a somewhat distorted perception of the GOP's record here. People forget that while Nixon was personally virulently racist he also pushed Affirmative Action and desegregation (granted with some program cuts). While the Southern Strategy was adopted in '68 the party didn't really fully implement it until '80.

And people wonder why blacks hated Reagan. Now republicans pretend as if he was the second incarnation of christ, and then they have the gall to wonder why blacks vote 90-10 for democrats. Oh well I guess he represented an old America that I am extremely happy I do not have to live in.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 03:17:25 AM »

Kerry got about 90% of the black vote in 2004 but I forget was he black or white? As for Blacks not voting republican....read up about Nixon's southern strategy. People usually do not like political parties that pander to their sworn enemy( in this case southern racists). Also a reason why the hispanic vote will swing strongly towards the democrats this year. You can blame it on the nativist wing of the republican party.

Blacks jumping the GOP ship goes back way before Nixon to before the Great Depression. But I already stated that and told you were to look earlier.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 05:23:05 AM »

Kerry got about 90% of the black vote in 2004 but I forget was he black or white? As for Blacks not voting republican....read up about Nixon's southern strategy. People usually do not like political parties that pander to their sworn enemy( in this case southern racists). Also a reason why the hispanic vote will swing strongly towards the democrats this year. You can blame it on the nativist wing of the republican party.

Blacks jumping the GOP ship goes back way before Nixon to before the Great Depression. But I already stated that and told you were to look earlier.

Yes I will not deny that democrats have been the natural choice for blacks considering their social position in America for most of its history. At least since FDR the democrats have always been the party of the working class and blacks have been in that category for a long time. It is changing now but perhaps voting patterns take time to change. Actually if Obama does become president I predict the black middle class will start voting a little bit more like their white and latino counterparts.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »

They went Democratic with FDR, but Republicans were making big inroads in the black vote in the 50's. That shift stopped dead with the civil rights act and the southern strategy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »

McCain will win well over 80% of the white vote in states like MS and AL. I suppose we should call them out for being sheep as well, right?
Also a big difference between 80% in a few states, and 90-95% in every state.  The nationwide white vote for McCain probably won't reach 60%
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »

Uh... no. Both are massive majorites. He'll get around 86% or 87% anyway. I said "well over 80%".
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 09:47:34 AM »

Also a big difference between 80% in a few states, and 90-95% in every state.  The nationwide white vote for McCain probably won't reach 60%

Still to call out blacks out on this, you must also call out southern whites. That is if you're being even handed about it anyway.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

Still to call out blacks out on this, you must also call out southern whites. That is if you're being even handed about it anyway.
That really has to do religious ideals rather than race though.  There is a difference between voting in large masses because of a set of beliefs, and voting in large mass simply because you want someone who looks like you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »

Uh... no. Both are massive majorites. He'll get around 86% or 87% anyway. I said "well over 80%".

Perhaps, but it won't be at a national level as compared to the black vote.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »

That really has to do religious ideals rather than race though.  There is a difference between voting in large masses because of a set of beliefs, and voting in large mass simply because you want someone who looks like you.
No. Even if McCain was an athiest for gay marriage and constantly bashed Evangelicals he would still do well with southern whites.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »

So? Blacks would still vote for Obama as a white Democrat so it doesn't matter. Do you think if Obama was a conservative that he would be doing good among Blacks? Hell no...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »

So? Blacks would still vote for Obama as a white Democrat so it doesn't matter. Do you think if Obama was a conservative that he would be doing good among Blacks? Hell no...

You're not disproving my point. The majority of black voters aren't thinking for themselves and they are being led around by the nose by their leaders.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »

And that is why they voted en masse for Al Gore, right? He was black, as this photo clearly shows.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »

I think I saw a poll where John McCain would get 5% of the vote in Canada. I suppose all Canadians are racist too.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:22 PM »

I think I saw a poll where John McCain would get 5% of the vote in Canada. I suppose all Canadians are racist too.

Dude, they're Canadian. We already understand they're "special".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »

Explain.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »

Explain.

My point exactly.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 01:41:34 PM »

You're not disproving my point. The majority of black voters aren't thinking for themselves and they are being led around by the nose by their leaders.
No they aren't, they vote for Democrats because they want welfare and other goodies from the government. Essentially they are like all other poor voters.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »

I think the point is being a little bit lost here...which is that blacks vote alike to an extreme degree that is weird given how it's a racial group, not bound together by beliefs or socio-economic position. But yes, Southern whites are almost as bad, even though that isn't really much of an excuse for blacks outside of the South.

I think part of the explanatino is that blacks, being a long-persecuted group, still has a group mentality where they want to band together against percieved enemies, preferably behind a leader of some sort. This leads to bloc voting for the "black" candidate, "black" here meaning whatever candidate is said by the leaders of the black community to be favourable to their community (or perhaps, gasp, themselves). This is perfectly understandable but I doubt it is a very fruitful or constructive approach for the black community in the long term.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »

This is a race issue, logic should have no part in it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 09:52:21 AM »

I think the point is being a little bit lost here...which is that blacks vote alike to an extreme degree that is weird given how it's a racial group, not bound together by beliefs or socio-economic position. But yes, Southern whites are almost as bad, even though that isn't really much of an excuse for blacks outside of the South.

I think part of the explanatino is that blacks, being a long-persecuted group, still has a group mentality where they want to band together against percieved enemies, preferably behind a leader of some sort. This leads to bloc voting for the "black" candidate, "black" here meaning whatever candidate is said by the leaders of the black community to be favourable to their community (or perhaps, gasp, themselves). This is perfectly understandable but I doubt it is a very fruitful or constructive approach for the black community in the long term.

Thank you Gustaf (the normal voice of reason here), you're the first one to finally give me an answer that's somewhere close.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies