Wow: Even the Associated Press is saying that Iraq has been won
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:08:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Wow: Even the Associated Press is saying that Iraq has been won
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wow: Even the Associated Press is saying that Iraq has been won  (Read 5848 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »

Check out these excerpts from the usually negative Associated Press:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Something's in the air"...?

The AP turns lyrical?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »

Oh good. Then I'm sure you'll be fine if we start to leave. Now.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »

Nope, we need bases for 100 years at least. The bigger project of Iran is next door.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »

Nope, we need bases for 100 years at least. The bigger project of Iran is next door.
lol I hope you aren't serious. If you are then you obiously understand very little about foriegn policy.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »

I have a better idea phknrocket, let us bomb the sh**t out of Pakistan. That is where the real terrorists are anyways.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

Now that's just tempting fate that is. Indeed just look what the BBCs top headline is right now:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »

lol I hope you aren't serious. If you are then you obiously understand very little about foriegn policy.

Obviously you don't understand what the whole goal of taking out Iraq really was.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »

In facts, US won Irak more than less, didn't it?

I think the point is, until when...?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »

Until the insane religion (religion of "peace") takes hold of the government again.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »

Until the insane religion (religion of "peace") takes hold of the government again.

That's what I think too.

Except one thing, which is important. I don't consider this religion as insane, but those who are trying to spread their interpretation of it, who are totally insane.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »

That's what I think too.

Except one thing, which is important. I don't consider this religion as insane, but those who are trying to spread their interpretation of it, who are totally insane.

Yes, but the moderates are doing little if anything to change that thought process. Therefore "moderates" are as good as worthless. I hate to even make this comparison because all the jokers on this board will scream "godwin" but it's like saying that in 1938 German moderates would be able to change Nazi Germany. Sorry, their may have been moderate Germans but they had no political influence at all and while there, were really irrelevant. I feel the exact same way about "moderation" in the Middle East.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »

That's what I think too.

Yes, but the moderates are doing little if anything to change that thought process. Therefore "moderates" are as good as worthless. I hate to even make this comparison because all the jokers on this board will scream "godwin" but it's like saying that in 1938 German moderates would be able to change Nazi Germany. Sorry, their may have been moderate Germans but they had no political influence at all and while there, were really irrelevant. I feel the exact same way about "moderation" in the Middle East.

Well, I don't say the opposite. I just say there is here no reason to qualify Islam an insane religion. We are just at an epoch where this religion is being gained by insane peoples who spread on profiting of the headaches of Muslim population. This is not the only religion to currently drive insane by such ways...
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »

How about we withdraw every single soldier from overseas and never both with the rest of the planet again? The middle east is in Europe's geographical zone anyways so...
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »

The surge has been an amazing success...

Which is why levels of violence and murder are only slightly higher than they were in 2006.  If that's success, I would hate to see their idea of defeat.  Perhaps we should find more local bottom feeders to bribe into not killing our soldiers...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:43:17 AM »

You mean the Provisional Iraqi Government with the Pro-Iran faction in (and Iraqi Hezbollah)?

As opposed to the Secular dictatorship of Saddam Hussein who despite feeble attempts of conservatives to prove opposite only adopted an islamist veneer post-gulf war.

Anyway according to this it took five years for America to defeat Iraq, which let us recall:

1) Had factions and ethnic groups which were sympathetic towards the invasion, mainly the Kurds and possibly some of the Shi'ite Muslims aswell.
2) Was a country economically and socially crippled by economic sanctions and decaying, ancient infrastructure
3) An outdated, tiny and pathetic military made from archaic technology from the earliest the 80s. And of course no WMD.
4) Led by a dictator who rather spend his money on palaces than on the above military and had no legitimacy among the vast majority of Iraqi minority, Sunni upper class and Tikriti\Tribal loyalists excepted
5) Had for the Middle East very little history of religious inspired violence. Being against the "Religion of Peace" as you call it was why people like States cheered on Iraq during the Iran-Iraq war. How many of the 9/11 Hijackers were Iraqis again?

On this performance taking on a most better organized state, military and economy with 2.5 times the population and with a terrain in areas seemingly designed for guerilla warfare would clearly be huge success.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

No WMDs? Please tell me why we've found hundreds of pounds of yellowcake as well as nerve gas. And why trucks were seen exiting Iraq into Syria right before the invasion.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2008, 11:01:17 AM by 我寻找感觉和方向 »

If they had, why didn't they use it?

Saddam wanted to be nice with the US coalition?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »

If they had, why didn't they use it?

Saddam wanted to be nice with the US coalition?

Lack of unit cohesion, confusion, fog of war. Any range of reasonable explanations. Or, they wanted to do what they are doing now. Let the army get rolled over and fight a guerrilla war which would be far more successful against the largest army in the world. You must remember, the Iraqi army was the fifth largest army in the world at the time of the invasion. If they really wanted to fight that kind of war, while they wouldn't have won, they would have put up a much greater fight.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »

Oh, they would have given up WMDs against a victory by guerilla?!?

And of course that would have been the great military Saddam who would have decided a strategy wich would have given so much chances to win...

Sorry but I think that Jas well described what was Irak before US army to go in, they lost because they could just lost against US, and far, because of the society and of the military.

Hmm, that's just an advice but I really think you should give up ways which drives you to the kind of arguments you've just had...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »

Hmm, that's just an advice but I really think you should give up ways which drives you to the kind of arguments you've just had...

My bad..I should have gotten in line by now, right?

OMG BUSH LIED PEOPLE DIED, ImPeaCH BUsh , BuSH is SATAN@@@#!@!!
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 11:48:19 AM »

OMG BUSH LIED PEOPLE DIED, ImPeaCH BUsh , BuSH is SATAN@@@#!@!!

Didn't Bush say once that Jesus gave him advices?

Could Satan take advices from Jesus?!? ;-)

Well, we never know, with him everything is possible...!

Sorry, highjack
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »

The surge has been an amazing success...

Which is why levels of violence and murder are only slightly higher than they were in 2006.  If that's success, I would hate to see their idea of defeat.  Perhaps we should find more local bottom feeders to bribe into not killing our soldiers...

Yeah, Iraq and Afghanistan are being managed like Vietnam. Basically the military is being told what not to do. They're being handcuffed cause our politicians don't want to step on anyone's toes. Meanwhile, our soldiers are being murdered while our high-and-mighty politicians sit on the other side of the planet, tucked away behind thousands of body guards. Not only that, them and their friends have been raking in the cash, thanks to this war. Even the holier-than-thou anti war Democrats are profiting from it.

I must confess that is why I really don't like McCain. He'd be a four extension of the current train wreck we already have.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »

Obviously you don't understand what the whole goal of taking out Iraq really was.
Read any books about it that are actually balanced? You know the whole reason we got into this mess was because of Wolfowitz and his ilk.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »

No WMDs? Please tell me why we've found hundreds of pounds of yellowcake as well as nerve gas.
We found hundreds of chemical weapons munitions in the desert that were degraded. The pentagon went on record as saying that those were from 1991 or earlier and essentially useless. There's no proof that Iraq had a serious nuclear program or anything along those lines.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »

That's what I think too.

Once again, what the hell do you propose we do?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies