School uniforms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:41:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  School uniforms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: School uniforms  (Read 14198 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »

What a horrible idea. The only good argument I've ever heard is that the girls get to wear skirts. That's it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »

Yes, I'm against it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »

I'm totally against it.  It has no redeeming qualities.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »

The private school I went to for most of my formative years adopted school uniforms about halfway through my time there (I was there from K-10). There was a big backlash in how it stymied self-expression which lead to students paying closer attention to socks, shoes, ties, and other stuff. During those rebellious years, it was an annoyance. Plus the faculty, especially certain members, were especially anal about how closely it was followed - handing out detentions for not wearing a belt, not having your shirt tucked in, wearing colourful socks, not having your hair cut properly, etc. I even got a couple detentions for wearing pants that weren't bought from the school endorsed uniform company because the bloody seam was in the wrong place (oh heavens!) On the other hand, it was kind of nice not having to worry about what you wore every day. It was always the same sh**t. There was still plenty of judgment going on, it just got moved into other areas than clothes.

But overall, I don't see it as a very big deal. I lean against it, but it's not that important.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 01:31:05 PM »

Against in the Public School system.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »

I am strongly in favour of school uniforms.

They are a great 'leveller' in a school erasing class and income differences. In the long term they are cheaper and less inclined to changes in fashion trends that can often stretch low income families.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »

They are a great 'leveller' in a school erasing class and income differences. In the long term they are cheaper and less inclined to changes in fashion trends that can often stretch low income families.

Except it's pretty easy to tell when someone can't afford brand new/ fitting/ appropriate school stuff anyway. Forcing everyone to be the same doesn't "erase" anything. 
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »

Flashy clothes and looks are a distraction to concentration on academic endeavors. Distractions exist in enough abundance in the young, without adding ones that can be excised. Clothing affects behavior! Book it.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »

Flashy clothes and looks are a distraction to concentration on academic endeavors. Distractions exist in enough abundance in the young, without adding ones that can be excised. Clothing affects behavior! Book it.
Ever been a kid Torie Tongue? School uniforms cause problems among many and are a product of fascist countries. Besides those who focus on clothes don't focus on academics because they don't care in the first place not because of clothes.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »

Except it's pretty easy to tell when someone can't afford brand new/ fitting/ appropriate school stuff anyway. Forcing everyone to be the same doesn't "erase" anything. 
I agree with Aizen. Although, I do support dress codes.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 11:56:45 PM »

I agree with Aizen. Although, I do support dress codes.

I agree with you guys.

We have enough conformity in society as it is.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 01:24:22 AM »

Strongly approve for homeschooling only.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »

That's why I support the idea. ^^^
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »

For private schools, I like 'em.  For public schools, I know I would have fought it like crazy if they had them.  But as a parent now, it would make clothes shopping easier, and you don't have to fight with your kid on what they are going to wear.  "your choices are green polo and khakis, green polo and khakis, or...  green polo and khakis."
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »

Ever been a kid Torie Tongue? School uniforms cause problems among many and are a product of fascist countries. Besides those who focus on clothes don't focus on academics because they don't care in the first place not because of clothes.

I wore a school uniform in grammar school actually. It worked out very well. Laying the fascist rap on uniforms is a bit thick.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »

I certainly don't think clothing provides a big distraction; nor do I buy into the argument that they cloud the line between rich and poor.  At my school, at least, most people dressed the same way, whatever their financial status was.  All uniforms will do is make the students look for other ways to rebel, and it will backfire.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

Plus the faculty, especially certain members, were especially anal about how closely it was followed - handing out detentions for not wearing a belt, not having your shirt tucked in, wearing colourful socks, not having your hair cut properly, etc.

stupid victimless crimes such as these should be disposed of as soon as possible and in as much volume as possible.  which is why I oppose school uniforms, among other issues.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »

I've never seen a properly-conducted study on the matter that concludes it has a positive effect, just school district evaluations (useless) and other anecdotal evidence.  Before someone makes me wear a polo shirt, I demand some damned science.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »

I've never seen a properly-conducted study on the matter that concludes it has a positive effect, just school district evaluations (useless) and other anecdotal evidence.  Before someone makes me wear a polo shirt, I demand some damned science.
exactly
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »

Waste of time enforcing them and waste of money subsidizing them, and that's all there is to be said about uniforms, really.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »

My school has a dress code. Can't wear any items deemed 'inappropriate' by the staff and all shorts/skirts have to be at or below the knee-caps. You also can't have your shoulders exposed or really low-cut shirts.

So basically it all affects the girls, not the guys.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »

My school has a dress code. Can't wear any items deemed 'inappropriate' by the staff and all shorts/skirts have to be at or below the kneecaps. You also can't have your shoulders exposed or really low-cut shirts.

That's what we have, although the only people who really pay attention are the Principal and Vice Principals.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

My school has a dress code. Can't wear any items deemed 'inappropriate' by the staff and all shorts/skirts have to be at or below the kneecaps. You also can't have your shoulders exposed or really low-cut shirts.

That's what we have, although the only people who really pay attention are the Principal and Vice Principals.

Yeah, it really depends on the staff-member if the dress code is enforced or not. Some staff could care less, while others are borderline Nazi on the enforcement.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »

It is good because people can't pick on others cause of what they wear. It definitely lowers that. Bad is that I love to have my own style and wear tight clothes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 01:24:59 AM »

Yeah, it really depends on the staff-member if the dress code is enforced or not. Some staff could care less, while others are borderline Nazi on the enforcement.

I don't really like the idea of school uniforms, though a dress code like that would be ideal. Kids shouldn't be allowed to wear distracting clothes, but they also should not be forced to wear fascist uniforms.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies