The man who should be McCain's running mate...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:20:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The man who should be McCain's running mate...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The man who should be McCain's running mate...  (Read 1249 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »

U.S. Senator John Ensign of Nevada

He's young (despite the hair), conservative, not controversial and from a swing state yet he's never mentioned. Why isn't this guy on the short list? Oh, because he's running the NRSC this year? Good reason.  Roll Eyes

Perfect together.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »

Eh...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »

he is a metrosexual!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

See! The Obama fanatics can't even find something wrong with the guy!  Tongue

Oh, come on. We could just dress him up (I guess he'd like that stuff...) like we did for the NRSC YouTube header...

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »

Is it just me, or does John Ensign look disturbingly like the bastard lovechild of Charlie Crist and Mitt Romney?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

What about Susan Collins?

Doesn't she look great with McCain?

Her hair is nice, too. LOLZ
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:12 PM »

I will say that I just noticed his slight "gay" lisp.

Is it just me, or does John Ensign look disturbingly like the bastard lovechild of Charlie Crist and Mitt Romney?

Oh, Christ. He does.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »

phil, if ensign were arrested tomorrow for tapping some guys foot in an airport bathroom, i would not be surprised.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »

Well, for Republicans, at least the gambling scions who run Nevada would guarantee the state for McCain.  Although I tend to agree with everything else that's been said.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »

phil, if ensign were arrested tomorrow for tapping some guys foot in an airport bathroom, i would not be surprised.

Funny enough, he called for Craig's resignation after that whole ordeal.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »

Did he call for Vitter's resignation after prostitute-gate?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

I think Ensign would be a good choice, unless there's some nasty details about him that I don't know about. He would be preferable to the other names mentioned.

I can see him running in '12 either way.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »

Oh, I can find plenty wrong with him... his comments on the Iraq war have irked me some...

Saying that people like Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid 'undermine' our troops when they speak up against the Iraq occupation angers me some.

...That's standard GOP play-book material though....so, oh well.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 01:52:09 PM »

Oh, I can find plenty wrong with him... his comments on the Iraq war have irked me some...

Saying that people like Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid 'undermine' our troops when they speak up against the Iraq occupation angers me some.

Well I wouldn't expect McCain's running mate choice to swing your vote either way.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »

Well I wouldn't expect McCain's running mate choice to swing your vote either way.

True that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »

Did he call for Vitter's resignation after prostitute-gate?

I don't know. This wasn't meant to be a debate over what he should have done though.

Well, that's simply ideological and strategic differences. I was talking about major problems with him as a candidate.

I can see him running in '12 either way.

He would be at the top of my list of candidates to support if we lose in 2008. Right up there with Pawlenty and Santorum, of course.  Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:03 PM »

I am shocked, just shocked at some of these homophobic responses in this thread. Ensign is a very attractive man, and he could help McCain out. Some of you are just intimidated by his boyish good looks.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:33 PM »

I am shocked, just shocked at some of these homophobic responses in this thread. Ensign is a very attractive man, and he could help McCain out. Some of you are just intimidated by his boyish good looks.

Is there something you want to tell us?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »

Well, that's simply ideological and strategic differences. I was talking about major problems with him as a candidate.

[/quote]

Well, um....

He, um....

He's got....

Damn! There's just nothing exciting or interesting about this guy!

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »

Sure, if you like 50 year old men. Tongue

I'm also beginning to wonder.....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Ensign lives in a DC townhouse subsidized by a religious organization called "The Family":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_%28Christian_political_organization%29

Sounds like something out of a John Grisham novel.  Would that go over well with voters?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Ensign lives in a DC townhouse subsidized by a religious organization called "The Family":

Sounds like something out of a John Grisham novel.  Would that go over well with voters?

I thought that "The Family" sounded suspiciously familiar, so I consulted my national security advisor, Google. He told me that they were the organization of mutants from The Omega Man.

Do you want a vice-president who is housed by folks like THESE Tongue:

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

I thought that "The Family" sounded suspiciously familiar, so I consulted my national security advisor, Google. He told me that they were the organization of mutants from The Omega Man.

Do you want a vice-president who is housed by folks like THESE Tongue:

No.  And Hillary Clinton has ties to The Family as well, one reason I was uncomfortable with her.

But there would be other problems with McCain choosing Ensign. 

1.  As chairman of the NRSCC, he has failed miserably.  If his inability to attract quality candidates to Senate races in any indication of how he would function as Vice-President or President (and it may not be at all -- I don't know), then Republicans would be wise to steer clear.  But if he couldn't convince fellow conservative Mike Rounds to challenge an extremely vulnerable Tim Johnson, he may not be able to convince voters of much either.

2.  Ensign has made animal rights a concern and, while I might actually agree with him, would the Republican base find that a bit of an odd thing?  To me, it's kind of cool -- it shows that conservatives can work with liberals on some things (He worked with Cantwell and Feinstein on this.)

3.  His opposition to stem cell research is problematic.  There are plenty of anti-choice Republicans who still support stem cell, including Orrin Hatch.  While McCain would be wise to choose a solid abortion rights foe, he could probably find one who did the right thing on stem cell research or who would have done the right thing.

4.  He voted against a bill spending a half billion dollars to beef up port security.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

obviously most republicans support animal cruelty.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »

1.  As chairman of the NRSCC, he has failed miserably.  If his inability to attract quality candidates to Senate races in any indication of how he would function as Vice-President or President (and it may not be at all -- I don't know), then Republicans would be wise to steer clear.  But if he couldn't convince fellow conservative Mike Rounds to challenge an extremely vulnerable Tim Johnson, he may not be able to convince voters of much either.

He hasn't failed. He is dealing with a bad year and very good Democratic candidates. You have to be careful about criticizing when it comes to recruitment. Some people just don't want to run. How can you get on his case for not getting Rounds to run against a man who had a stroke (gets a lot of sympathy votes)? I can't stand Dole. She was a disaster as NRSC chair. However, I don't go crazy because she didn't convince Tommy Thompson to run against Kohl in WI. I go crazy because of her decisions during the campaigns. Ensign is doing the best with what he has been dealt.

Not an issue at all. Santorum gained the praise and support of PETA over some puppy mill issue. Would he be abandoned by conservatives because of that? No, not really.

Oh, and spare us the "Santorum and puppies" jokes.  Tongue

I don't think that that's a big deal especially now.

Now that could be a problem.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies