Question for pro-gun people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:32:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Question for pro-gun people
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the 2nd Amendment give you the right to keep and bear arms?
Yes

No

Not a Pro-Gunner

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Question for pro-gun people  (Read 2643 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »

Question mainly aimed at conservatives, but anyone who considers themselves pro-gun in free to vote. Voting will end one week from today, where I will assess the results.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:21:42 PM »

I'm not comfortable with the use of the word "give." But certainly, the Amendment creates a constitutional barrier to its denial by the federal government.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »

I believe the first part of the 2nd amendment establishes that the second part is meant to keep a well regulated militia.  Even so, it doesn't say "unless" anywhere in that clause... thus, well regulated militia, military, or none of the above, your right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed upon.

But I guess you could also read it like "A well regulated militia (emphasis on regulating the militia which are not necessarily the people), necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Which is interesting because the founding fathers were very wary of government military and could have thus given the right to bear arms to the people in order to keep that militia "regular".. and it would then fit in better with the 3rd amendment, which is almost entirely forgotten these days.

I'm so confused... I just say to use common sense... yes, you can have your rifles to go hunting and you can even have guns to play with or for defense in a needed situation...

But there is NEVER a reason that you should be toting an assault weapon around in the name of self defense or the 2nd amendment because you think you can.  That is just your insecurity hiding behind a gun.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »

I'm confused to why anyone who is pro-gun would vote it doesn't mean that, it would seem quite contradictory
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »

I'm confused to why anyone who is pro-gun would vote it doesn't mean that, it would seem quite contradictory

Same here. Though the question itself is strange. After all, the 2nd Amendment directly says that "the right of the People, to bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:50:16 AM »

Right, it doesn't give us anything we didn't have already.  It's just, in theory at least, a right the govt choses to let you enjoy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:12 PM »

Right, it doesn't give us anything we didn't have already.  It's just, in theory at least, a right the govt choses to let you enjoy.

A "right" must be three things to be a right-
- A guarantee from or to a certain thing
- Can be individually waived
- Government must enforce that right unless it meets the proper constitutional burden for infringing on that right.

I believe the Second Amdendment "creates" the "right" for a individual to bear arms.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »

- Government must enforce that right unless it meets the proper constitutional burden for infringing on that right.

I believe the Second Amdendment "creates" the "right" for a individual to bear arms.

I wouldn't say it creates it - rights are ideas, and the idea existed before the Second Amendment. The ideas of freedom of speech, religion, and assembly existed before the First Amendment as well, right? So, I would say that the Second Amendment indicates government recognition of the validity of a right to bear arms.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:46:31 PM »

Then again, are we talking about legal rights or natural rights or perhaps common-law rights?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »

I wouldn't say it creates it - rights are ideas, and the idea existed before the Second Amendment. The ideas of freedom of speech, religion, and assembly existed before the First Amendment as well, right? So, I would say that the Second Amendment indicates government recognition of the validity of a right to bear arms.

Or for that matter, a guarantee of the continued right to bear arms. We have to consider that the original intent of the 2nd Amendment was most likely to afford the public self-protection against a tyrannical government. With the amendment in place, if said tyrannical government tried to take people's guns away, they would have no legal basis to do so. In that case, they would have to do it by force, which would mean almost certainly invoking a massive public uprising.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »

Then again, could a "well regulated militia" be used for things other than mounting insurgencies or defenses against alien states?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:41:22 PM »

The Second Amendment does NOT give (or grant) the right to keep and bear arms, but rather was put into the constitution to recognize that natural right, and offset the propensity of the Hamiltonian's to argue that the government could do anything not specifically prohibited to it by the constitution. 

It also specified "the people," to make it clear that the "select militia" argued for by Hamilton and his gang was NOT what was meant.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »

This was a trick question, and it appears that only 2 people didn't see through it, based on the poll results. The 2nd Amendment doesn't give you any rights, it merely prevents those rights from being infringed.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 11:24:08 PM »

The Second Amendment does NOT give (or grant) the right to keep and bear arms, but rather was put into the constitution to recognize that natural right, and offset the propensity of the Hamiltonian's to argue that the government could do anything not specifically prohibited to it by the constitution. 

It also specified "the people," to make it clear that the "select militia" argued for by Hamilton and his gang was NOT what was meant.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »

This was a trick question, and it appears that only 2 people didn't see through it, based on the poll results. The 2nd Amendment doesn't give you any rights, it merely prevents those rights from being infringed.

Actually a good question.

Too few people have even a basic understanding of the legal structure.

Keep up the good posting!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »

Thank you. I had a feeling many conservatives would not analyze the question carefully and choose the first option.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »

Thank you. I had a feeling many conservatives would not analyze the question carefully and choose the first option.

The difference is between positive and negative rights. To a big-government liberal like me, that is not much of a difference at all. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 02:35:10 PM »

Yes, it does.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »

Yes, though of course like all rights it has its limits.....you can't shout fire in a crowded theatre, and you can't own your own bazooka or AK-47. Both seem reasonable to me.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »

Yes, though of course like all rights it has its limits.....you can't shout fire in a crowded theatre, and you can't own your own bazooka or AK-47. Both seem reasonable to me.

Whether or not someone has the right to shout fire in a crowded theatre is up to the theatre-owner. If the theatre-owner wants to lose customers and allow the audience to be constantly disrupted, that is his choice. Likewise, I don't see why AK-47s or bazookas shoiuld be banned, since no law is going to prevent criminals from obtaining the weapon of their choice.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies