Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008 (At Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:37:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008 (At Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008 (At Final Vote)  (Read 5633 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:58:22 AM »
« edited: July 29, 2008, 11:14:42 AM by PPT Colin Wixted »

Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008

Whereas the revenue expected from the FY 2009 component ($5 per metric tonne of a total $10 per metric tonne tax) of the domestic Carbon Tax is expected to be an estimated $30 billion, and;

Whereas the Atlasian Senate finds that this environmental-based impact fee is best spent through investment in new mass transit options and research into alternative energy,

Therefore be it resolved that:

1. Funding Allocation. Atlasia shall dedicate 50% of the FY2009 carbon tax component ($2.5 per metric tonne or $15 billion in total), as a one time grant towards the new construction, upgrade, and maintenance of mass transit options.
Said funds shall be apportioned based on Atlasia’s regional population figures as of July 4, 2008:
  • Northeast Region, $4.77 billion (31.8%)
  • Southeast Region, $3.585 billion (23.9%)
  • Mideast Region, $2.73 billion (18.2%)
  • Pacific Region, $2.55 billion (17.0%)
  • Midwest Region, $1.365 billion (9.1%)

2. Funding Earmarks. The funds outlined in Section 1 shall be earmarked towards the planning and completion of the following proposed mass transportation projects:
Northeast Region
  • SEPTA (Pennsylvania): Plan and construct a SEPTA extension from Philadelphia to Allentown on existing tracks via Bethlehem, Quakertown, and Lansdale.
  • SEPTA (Pennsylvania): Plan and construct an extension of the Route 100 light rail service (Norristown High-Speed Line) to King of Prussia.
  • NJ Transit (New Jersey): Plan and construct an extension of the Raritan Valley Line on existing tracks past the High Bridge, NJ terminus to Phillipsburg, NJ; Easton, PA; Bethlehem, PA; and Allentown, PA.
  • MBTA (Massachusetts): Construct an extension of the Green Line MBTA service past the Lechmere terminus to include new stops in Somerville, MA at Washington St., Union Square, Gilman Square, Lowell St., and Ball Square; and new stops in Medford at College Avenue (Tufts), Winthrop St., and West Medford. (Estimated cost: $0.39 billion.)
  • Metro North (Connecticut): Plan and construct commuter rail service between New Haven, CT and Springfield, MA via Hartford, including seven new rail stations with upgraded platforms (“max build” scenario as defined by the September 2004 Transportation Strategy Board proposal). (Estimated cost: $0.558 billion.)
Southeast Region
To be determined.
Mideast Region
To be determined.
Pacific Region
To be determined.
Midwest Region
To be determined.

3. Matching Funds Requirement. To be eligible for the mass transit grants outlined in Section 1, participating regional legislatures must agree to a minimum 25% match of these funds. “Matching funds” will be defined as the amount in excess of the regional FY 2008 mass transportation budget as adjusted for inflation.

Sponsor: Conor Flynn
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »

I want more money. Angry

But seriously, I'll try to write something up soon for my region.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »

I would like to see the money adjusted per year based on population.  I will also attempt to draw up earmarks, but I must admit I know little about Southeast transportation services
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:29:09 PM »

I would like to see the money adjusted per year based on population.  I will also attempt to draw up earmarks, but I must admit I know little about Southeast transportation services

This bill is a major investment set up as a one-time investment devoted to specific pieces of infrastructure.  If you want this to be recurring, it would need significant changes: I recommend a separate bill.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »

Damn me for not reading the bill.  I don't know if I like the idea of this at all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »

Pork. Pork. All I see is pork.

I've no problem with the Executive spending money on projects like this or on the Regions doing the same, but this is not what a Legislature is supposed to be for. This is an abuse of the legislative process in a way so very like what happens in the United States.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »

Pork. Pork. All I see is pork.

I've no problem with the Executive spending money on projects like this or on the Regions doing the same, but this is not what a Legislature is supposed to be for. This is an abuse of the legislative process in a way so very like what happens in the United States.

With respect, your post isn't very coherent, Al. Money is appropriate by some sort of legislature, before it can be spent by the "Executive." Perhaps you would like to revise and extend your remarks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »

With respect, your post isn't very coherent, Al.

Eh, it's a little late here so...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The problem isn't the money raising aspect, the problem is with the legislature determining (and actually determining not determing-in-theory) all the little details of government policy. It's an open invite for pork-barrel politics and thus corruption. It's also an appalling way of running a transport policy; instead of the places that need money getting it, the places that have people shouting for them the loudest that get it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »

So Al your point is that it should be block grant federal transportation money to the regions for them to spend as they see fit, or block grants period (for anything), or the Feds should not spend any money on this issue, or what? What is the fix? I like to clearly understand a point of view before commenting upon it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

So Al your point is that it should be block grant federal transportation money to the regions for them to spend as they see fit, or block grants period (for anything), or the Feds should not spend any money on this issue, or what? What is the fix? I like to clearly understand a point of view before commenting upon it.

The money raised from this tax should be given to the regions to spend on whatever mass-transit policies they feel like. No earmarks. Earmarks Bad. Bah.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2008, 08:53:30 PM by Torie »

The money raised from this tax should be given to the regions to spend on whatever mass-transit policies they feel like. No earmarks. Earmarks Bad. Bah.

Thanks. How much confidence do you repose in the Regional governments to deal with this money chunk? If you lack some reasonable modicum of confidence, then what? How much money goes to each region by the way, and on what basis? How is the pie to be split? Does the current split strike you as reasonable?

You know, given our current "population figures" (which is how the pie is to be currently split) mass transit is ludicrous. It is odd that I "see' more folks on my block than purportedly  live in the entire swath of my region. Maybe we have an undercount problem. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »

With respect, your post isn't very coherent, Al.

Eh, it's a little late here so...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The problem isn't the money raising aspect, the problem is with the legislature determining (and actually determining not determing-in-theory) all the little details of government policy. It's an open invite for pork-barrel politics and thus corruption. It's also an appalling way of running a transport policy; instead of the places that need money getting it, the places that have people shouting for them the loudest that get it.

In this case, it is the areas that need it the most (at least from the Northeastern part of the bill, all that has yet to be worked out). While I might not normally have confidence in such measures, I do have confidence that Atlasia will reach practical solutions--after all, there is no political advantage to pork here.

Frankly, I have much less confidence in the Regions, which never actively debate anything.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »

I have no idea about transit systems outside of Virginia, but as far as my own backyard is concerned, I would like to offer the following suggestions:

1. WMATA: construct Metrorail extension to Dulles International Airport, with planning for a future extension to Leesburg.

2. WMATA: build underground Metrorail line connecting Georgetown with the rest of the Metrorail system, between the Foggy Bottom-GWU and Tenleytown-AU Metrorail stations.

3. WMATA: extend Metrorail from the Huntington station down the Route 1 corridor to Fort Belvoir, along with another Metrorail extension from the Franconia-Springfield station alongside the VRE line to Lorton station.  Planning for future extensions of both lines down I-95 to a future Woodbridge-Occoquan station should also be funded.

4. Expand upon the Anacostia streetcar, with potential streetcar corridors being identified on K Street, Georgia Avenue/7th Street NW, H Street/Benning Road NE, Minnesota Avenue NE & SE,  Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Martin Luther King, Jr. SE/South Capitol Street, and Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue NE. 

5. Build the Columbia Pike streetcar in Arlington County.

6. Planning should be funded for a possible streetcar route in old-town Alexandria. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »

Upon further thought, I will not be proposing any ideas for the Southeast.  We simply will accept the money, and if the bill is passed, have an intiative to deal with it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »

I don't like it (see what Al said), but if it passes, Torie, I want a coherent public transit system here in the Bay Area.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 01:43:34 AM »

Well, the desire here was to sort of get us all thinking about mass transit and to get us trying to think up solutions to specifically benefit our regions...and throw out there some kind of reason to actually have Senators elected from regions.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 03:03:07 AM »

I refuse to support this bill until a different type of apportionment system is put into place. While I agree that population is a large part of the process other considerations should also be taken into consideration, for example the current status of transportation in each of the regions or cities if you want to look even closer. The Pacific for example has huge problems, especially in Los Angelas. Also with the regions of larger land area transportation links to connect different areas becomes very costly.

Overall though I am fine with this bill, we do need to upgrade the transit system, it just needs to be done in a fair way.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »

I know what I'll be recommending for Belle Fourche!

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »

and throw out there some kind of reason to actually have Senators elected from regions.
Okay then, I'll oppose this legislation on the grounds that it might provide a reason to have Senators elected from regions. Grin
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »

and throw out there some kind of reason to actually have Senators elected from regions.
Okay then, I'll oppose this legislation on the grounds that it might provide a reason to have Senators elected from regions. Grin

You want to get rid of me already eh?  Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »

No, I want us to be elected by the people like the other five Senators. Grin
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »

Heeeey, no fair handing the president his first defeat on an issue we agree on!  Wink
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »

I'm inclined to agree, but mass transit is important enough that I'll support it anyway. But, if the invalidly elected DWTL wants to shirk his duties, it won't matter. I will not support any legislation that simply gives unmandated money to the Southeast (or any other Region).
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 04:40:10 PM »

Why shouldn't the people decide what the money should go to?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »

Why shouldn't the people decide what the money should go to?

Because the people are, as a rule, even worse at debate and decision-making than their representation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies