Mississippi is the most obese......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:39:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi is the most obese......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mississippi is the most obese......  (Read 2980 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »

Mississippi remains most obese state, CDC reports By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer
2 hours, 55 minutes ago

Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee lead the nation when it comes to obesity, a new government survey reported Thursday.

More than 30 percent of adults in each of the states tipped the scales enough to ensure the South remains the nation's fattest region.

Colorado was the least obese, with about 19 percent fitting that category in a random telephone survey last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The 2007 findings are similar to results from the same survey the three previous years. Mississippi has had the highest obesity rate every year since 2004. But Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia and Louisiana have also clustered near the top of the list, often so close that the difference between their rates and Mississippi's may not be statistically significant.

Why is the South so heavy? The traditional Southern diet — high in fat and fried food — may be part of the answer, said Dr. William Dietz, who heads CDC's nutrition, physical activity and obesity division.

The South also has a large concentration of rural residents and black women — two groups that tend to have higher obesity rates, he said.

Colorado, meanwhile, is a state with a reputation for exercise. It has plentiful biking and hiking trails, and an elevation that causes the body to labor a bit more, Dietz said.

Obesity is based on the body mass index, a calculation using height and weight. A 5-foot, 9-inch adult who weighs 203 pounds would have a BMI of 30, which is considered the threshold for obesity.

CDC officials believe the telephone survey of 350,000 adults offers conservative estimates of obesity rates, because it's based on what respondents said about their height and weight. Men commonly overstate their height and women often lowball their weight, health experts say.

"The heavier you are, the more you underestimate your weight, probably because you don't weigh yourself as often," Dietz said.

Overall, about 26 percent of the respondents were obese, according to the study, published this week in CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

A different CDC survey — a gold-standard project in which researchers actually weigh and measure survey respondents — put the adult obesity rate at 34 percent in 2005 and 2006, the most recent years for which there are data.

Too much good food obviously.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

Dr. William Dietz, who heads CDC's nutrition, physical activity and obesity division.

This guy has known what career he would have since he was in kindergarten.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »

See, Harry was right. Everybody always picks on Mississippi, even the facts. It's simply not fair.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »

lol @ Missisippi
Yay @ my state
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »

See, Harry was right. Everybody always picks on Mississippi, even the facts. It's simply not fair.
Thank our illustrious governor and "Democratic" legislature that only funds education during election years.

Also, when you drop out the Delta (the really sh**tty NW part of the state), Mississippi is not nearly as low on any list.  It's basically all of the horrifically poor black people up there that bring every stat down, and it's on the shoulders of the state government for not helping them out.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:49:21 PM »

Unfortunately, my Oklahoma is ranked 9th on that list.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »

We should have kept Oklahoma as Indian territory.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

Thank our illustrious governor and "Democratic" legislature that only funds education during election years.

Also, when you drop out the Delta (the really sh**tty NW part of the state), Mississippi is not nearly as low on any list.  It's basically all of the horrifically poor black people up there that bring every stat down, and it's on the shoulders of the state government for not helping them out.

Maybe if you treated your blacks like people as opposed to chattel at best or animals you wouldn't be in this situation.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »

Slaves get fed cheap rations. How is this news?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »

Completely missed is any discussion of how weather affects behavior. When the weather is as nasty as it often is in Mississippi, one doesn't want to leave the house.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »

Look at how southern food is 90% lard.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »

Southern food/soul food is good tasting but TERRIBLE for you.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

That seems much more likely to be the culprit.

Given the irony that the poor states have higher obesity rates, it's likely that lifestyle and type of diet are the main causes.

I would also imagine urban areas have lower obesity rates since neighborhoods are more walker friendly.

West Virginia [has] also clustered near the top of the list

While it's poor, I was surprised to see a mountain state with high obesity, especially given that Colorado is the least obese state.

Unfortunately, my Oklahoma is ranked 9th on that list.

link?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 03:55:10 PM »

Completely missed is any discussion of how weather affects behavior. When the weather is as nasty as it often is in Mississippi, one doesn't want to leave the house.

Red herring.  Just look at New England, the Pacific Northwest, and the Midwest.  All of those regions have alarmingly horrendous weather for much longer periods of time than the deep South.  Somehow they manage to resist the urge to overeat.

I think he was talking more about the lack of exercise caused by the heat.

Its true I exercise very little in Thailand due to not wanting to perspire.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »

Red herring.  Just look at New England, the Pacific Northwest, and the Midwest.  All of those regions have alarmingly horrendous weather for much longer periods of time than the deep South.  Somehow they manage to resist the urge to overeat.

Nope not an excuse. I exercise as little as possible when I am India during the summer but I actually lose weight since I just cannot stop perspiring when I step outside. Thus I would think southerners would be the least obese. I think the biggest factor is food and once you realize what kind of lardy crap they eat, the southerners reason for obesity becomes clear.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »

It is possible to exercise in the southern summer (I ran 6 miles this morning in southern Alabama), but it must be done in the early morning.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »

Hell it sucks to exercise in the NJ summer, I usually wait until the sun goes down.  On humid days, sometimes its impossible. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »

Nope not an excuse. I exercise as little as possible when I am India during the summer but I actually lose weight since I just cannot stop perspiring when I step outside. Thus I would think southerners would be the least obese. I think the biggest factor is food and once you realize what kind of lardy crap they eat, the southerners reason for obesity becomes clear.

'Excuse'?  I was merely offering explanation - no need for anyone to feel they need to be excused for their weight.

But perspiring does not cause you to lose weight in any permanent or long term way, you silly chub.  That's just water.  And as for lardy crap, in the first place Indian food is all lardy crap, and in the second place, lard is delicious.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »

I have to say when it is very cold, it is easy to eat like your next bite will lead you to an epiphany... but when it's really hot out, I don't really feel like eating anything at all.. except maybe cold salads.

But who am I kidding?  It never gets really hot here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »

While it's poor, I was surprised to see a mountain state with high obesity, especially given that Colorado is the least obese state.

West Virginia's demographics are much more similar to those of the Deep South than those of the Mountain West.

Not at all. West Virginia is nearly all white.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »

West Virginia's demographics are much more similar to those of the Deep South than those of the Mountain West.

Not at all. West Virginia is nearly all white.

Appalachia does not = Mountain states like Colorado.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 08:56:04 PM »

Ill-health rates of any kind generally follow class and cultural-and-or-(often historical; see high rates of poor health former mining towns) occupational lines. West Virginia is not like Colorado by either yardstick.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »

Obviously what they need to do is get rid of all those damn black people, and Mississippi will be much better off.  Sounds like a plan your state can get behind.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 01:49:05 AM »

'Excuse'?  I was merely offering explanation - no need for anyone to feel they need to be excused for their weight.

But perspiring does not cause you to lose weight in any permanent or long term way, you silly chub.  That's just water.  And as for lardy crap, in the first place Indian food is all lardy crap, and in the second place, lard is delicious.

I admit that Indian food is fatty, especially the punjabi stuff you get at Indian restaurants here. But fried foods just are that little bit worse for you than just putting some ghee into the curry. But regardless people in India are skinny because they walk more in a day than an American does in his life. (ok maybe I am exaggerating)  Also Americans of all classes have more than enough to eat these days. It is just that the cheapest food also tends to be the most unhealthy here in America. It is absolutely different in India with meat and ghee costing more than some good old roti with dal. Also you are right that perspiration does not cause weight loss but I am sure going for a walk around the block in 90 degree weather will cause  your body to use more energy than in 70 degrees.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 04:00:06 AM »

I love Indian food, but the Southern style is somehow more appealing and healthier seeming than the northing (Punjabi).  I'm curious, are there many other varieties that we don't see in the US?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies