Forum Obama favorability rating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 11:34:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Forum Obama favorability rating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Barack Obama
(D) favorable

(D) unfavorable

(D) no opinion

(R) favorable

(R) unfavorable

(R) no opinion

(I/O) favorable

(I/O) unfavorable

(I/O) no opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Forum Obama favorability rating  (Read 5080 times)
NDN
Uganda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »

Regarding guns, I don't recall Obama ever stating that he supported the DC gun ban. He taught constitutional law before he ran for Senate, so I'd assume that, as something of a constitutional scholar, he would have a greater respect for gun rights than some liberals and he would be aware of the fact that the president really has very little to do with gun rights issues.
Unfortunately not. He supported the Illinois Hand Gun Ban, lawsuits for Gun Manufacturers, and (if you read between the lines) voiced his support in the Philadelphia Debate when he gave his non-answer on that issue. His record has been pretty hard-line anti-gun ownership, all rhetoric aside.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »

What has actually changed about Obama's Iraq policy? Nothing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2008, 11:41:15 PM by Torie »

I don't care much about guns either, but Obama never suggested before he thought gun ownership was an individual right, and the laws in Chicago are certainly inimical to that. Maybe he wants them revised now.

Iraq is more important. He once said out in 16 months period (well leaving some folks behind in unspecified numbers), and then he said well of course consistent with maintaining stability (hey, that is the McCain position, everyone's position, if Iraq can be stable without US troops, well "mission accomplished,"), and now he is backtracking from that, and back to a muddle somewhere out there over the rainbow.

To suggest that Obama has not become a major trimmer, of late, is well, in my opinion, just hackish really. He is not yet in Mitt territory, but he's in a neighborhood adjacent now.

I also expect him to back off his insane idea of lifting  the SS tax caps in due course by the way. You can mark that one down, too.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 11:40:54 PM »

I also expect him to back off his insane idea of lifting  the SS tax caps in due course by the way. You can mark that one down, too.
Doubt it. It plays well to the base and the general public isn't anymore hostile to that than simply cutting benefits. And really, if people aren't willing to cut benefits doesn't it make sense to at least raise taxes to pay for them?

Other than that I agree with your analysis. He is waffling now at the very least. I can't say I'm terribly surprised but it's still very disappointing.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »

Doubt it. It plays well to the base and the general public isn't anymore hostile to that than simply cutting benefits. And really, if people aren't willing to cut benefits doesn't it make sense to at least raise taxes to pay for them?

Other than that I agree with your analysis. He is waffling now at the very least. I can't say I'm terribly surprised but it's still very disappointing.
I wonder why. It constitute the largest tax increase in American history. There's little chance Congress will pass a huge tax increase in the midst of a recession.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 11:45:54 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2008, 11:48:36 PM by Torie »

You think lifting the federal marginal tax rate to 55% for wage earners over 200K, while those who clip coupons pay a 40% marginal rate, will sell? You know, polls show that folk think anyone paying much more than of a third of their income in taxes is unfair. We are not a soak the rich nation. In any event, economists will blow Obama away on this one. You don't have a much higher tax rate for income of those who sweat for it, over those who do not. That is ass backwards. Back when, we did have a marginal tax rate of 50% for sweat, and 70% for clippers. Slashing the rates didn't lose much revenue. A lot of "income' suddenly appeared on tax returns.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 11:49:57 PM »

You think lifting the federal marginal tax rate to 55% for wage earners over 200K, while those who clip coupons pay a 40% marginal rate, will sell? You know, polls show that folk think anyone paying much more than of a third of their income in taxes is unfair. We are not a soak the rich nation. In any event, economists will blow Obama away on this one.
Just like they did McCain on his inane gas tax pander. Also, are these the same economists that McCain claimed supported him even though they didn't?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »

Unfavorable, and in January it was favorable.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »

(D) Favorable
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »

I didn't know McCain claimed "economists" supported his gas tax holiday foolery. Hillary who supported it  too, said she said she didn't give a damn what economists thought.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »

I didn't know McCain claimed "economists" supported his gas tax holiday foolery. Hillary who supported it  too, said she said she didn't give a damn what economists thought.
Good point. The economists whose support he misidentified didn't back his gas tax plan. Although most economists can't agree on whether to order Coke or Pepsi, they do all agree that McCain is a naked political panderer on the gas tax.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2008, 12:04:25 AM by Blue Dog »

You think lifting the federal marginal tax rate to 55% for wage earners over 200K, while those who clip coupons pay a 40% marginal rate, will sell?
Most of the general public is uneasy about cutting benefits and not terribly interested in taxes so long as they don't pay more, so yes. I never said that was ideal mind you, I'd prefer to just stop spending so much. In any case the logic here is obvious. It makes no sense for the upper class to collect benefits they are not fully paying for.

You know, polls show that folk think anyone paying much more than of a third of their income in taxes is unfair. We are not a soak the rich nation.

Polls also showed that the public didn't support the Bush tax cuts and would be willing to have higher taxes for things like, say, universal healthcare. The public is very fickle/contradictory in what it thinks but has generally tended to favor the Democrats more on the economy.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »

Overall unfavorable, but he gives me more to root for than McCain does.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 04:01:13 AM »

Favorable. Still wish my first choice would have done better though :/
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 04:04:23 AM »

(I) Unfavorable (ignore the R avatar, that's just temporary)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 06:11:15 AM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 06:19:35 AM »

Favourable, just.

He's moving positions and it's rapidly clear he's just another politician. Amazing what people will do for the Gold Codes.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »

ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »

Favorable (D), but would have prefered Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

Favorable (O/I).  I think he's a good guy, but I just don't think he's ready to serve as President given the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

Favorable (D) as far as politicians go. I never supported him because of the hope and change bullshіt, but rather because he was the leftmost viable candidate.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »

(D) Favorable
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »

(D) Favorable. I also agree that the majority of Obama's "shift" is over exaggerated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »

I don't like him. If I were an American I'd vote for him, of course (none of the protest candidates look both interesting and not totally crazed) but I'd be under no illusions as to what he'll be like when he gets in power. I've not yet moved to actively disliking him though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies