Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 03:13:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?  (Read 5431 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »

Yes, I know this poll sounds like it's self-parody almost however...

The suburbs immediately bordering Minneapolis are fairly Democratic, but they're not as Democratic as anywhere inside Minneapolis. And there is very little difference between them and the parts of Minneapolis proper they border. If it wasn't for the signs, you couldn't tell the block on one side of the street is a suburb and the one on the other side is part of a major urban area.

So are there many Democrats with my attitude who are refusing to live on the suburban side of the street and living on the Minneapolis side only so they can say they live in Minneapolis?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »

Who cares?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »

I'm not sure.  It also could be Republicans refusing to live within city limits.  Essentially identical, adjacent precincts at the edge of cities tend to be a good few points more GOP on the suburban site.  I'd chalk this up to tax issues.  Maybe some of it is hipness of address, too.  Hard to know how much is which.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »

For those with kids, it's driven by school districts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »

There's a huge difference between the schools in Richfield and the schools in the super-wealthy parts of southwest Minneapolis? I doubt it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2008, 10:31:56 PM by Torie »

There's a huge difference between the schools in Richfield and the schools in the super-wealthy parts of southwest Minneapolis? I doubt it.

Minneapolis is the exception which proves the rule of course, and I give you no small measure of credit in effecting that BRTD. Smiley

Hey, in the LA area, some parts of the City "look" like suburbs, and some of the suburbs "look" like the City. Figure that one out.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »

Minneapolis is the exception which proves the rule of course, and I give you no small measure of credit in effecting that BRTD. Smiley

Hey, in the LA area, some parts of the City "look" like suburbs, and some of the suburbs "look" like the City. Figure that one out.

That still doesn't explain then why said super-wealthy parts are more Democratic than middle-class Richfield, not to mention far more Democratic than comparable wealthy suburbs. I suppose the Jews have a bit to do with it. Though that returns to the original question of why they aren't living in the wealthy suburbs.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:39:03 PM »

In general it is the schools. I grew up in the City of Los Angeles in GOP neighborhoods. None of them are anymore. It's the schools that drove some of the change. The economy also changed, and other stuff, true.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 10:50:57 PM »

Torie is right that here in California, school districts are one of the main things to look at when buying a house. Since property taxes are low schools rely a lot on federal funding( high STAR testing scores) as well as donations from the community. Although you would think this would lead to more republicans in better school districts, the opposite is true here in the bay area. A lot of that has to do with Asians moving in, who will do whatever it takes to get their kids into these schools as well as the highly educated class moving in. Both these demographic changes are driving the rapid "democratization" of the bay area suburbs. Those whites who put a premium on space are rapidly getting priced out of the bay area and those are the people who are likely to vote GOP.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »

So BRTD, any luck on your 1000 your plan to have Atlasia be the site generating 90% of Google's results for suburb/suburban/suburbia?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »

As everyone should know at this point, I live in a super-rich suburb. The reason it's so expensive is because of schools. My school is the sixth-best in the state according to standardized tests, and home prices in the school district are about $300-400K more than equivalent houses right outside the district. Yet I live in San Jose. OMG Shocked Huh
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »

Many Democrats can't afford to live in suburbs.  A big part of the reason cities are so Democratic is the ghetto.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2008, 03:17:31 AM by sbane »

As everyone should know at this point, I live in a super-rich suburb. The reason it's so expensive is because of schools. My school is the sixth-best in the state according to standardized tests, and home prices in the school district are about $300-400K more than equivalent houses right outside the district. Yet I live in San Jose. OMG Shocked Huh

LOL now I know why your football team sucks Tongue.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:44:35 AM »

No. A lot of the Democrats are so poor that they have to live in the ghetto and can't afford to live in safe, clean suburb.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 01:47:34 AM »

Many Democrats can't afford to live in suburbs.  A big part of the reason cities are so Democratic is the ghetto.

That depends a heck of a lot on the city, and is just not true anymore in most of the Northeast and the West...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 01:52:03 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2008, 03:14:10 AM by sbane »

No. A lot of the Democrats are so poor that they have to live in the ghetto and can't afford to live in safe, clean suburb.

Interesting how that has changed out here in the west and the northeast. Well it has a lot to do with your region of the country actually.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »

Did either of you read the post? (Well I guess the answer is Duke's case in obvious since he's an idiot who never reads crap and just got brutally fucking owned by Mikado). I'm talking about suburbs that border the city and are basically indistinguishable from the parts of the city they border. It'd be absolutely impossible to tell what is part of Edina or Richfield and what's part of southwest Minneapolis in that area if it wasn't for the signs labeling when you enter the next city, same with northeast Minneapolis and Columbia Heights. So in other words Duke is just being his usual idiotic braindead self.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 06:08:39 AM »

Okay, originally I was going to say "Define Many", but then I read the past few posts and thus noticed that I'd better read the opening post as well, and indeed it wasn't *quite* about what I thought it was about.

Not everywhere o/c, but yes, certainly a factor.
I'm not sure.  It also could be Republicans refusing to live within city limits. Essentially identical, adjacent precincts at the edge of cities tend to be a good few points more GOP on the suburban site.
Interestingly, you can sometimes find the something of the opposite pattern in Germany.
The suburbs that were eventually incorporated into Hanau vote more conservative than the ones that remain outside the city, but don't feel any richer. (Indeed, excempting the western side Hanau feels very down at heel. Income information for small areas isn't readily available here o/c.) In Hanau's case, it's probably something of a backlash phenomenon - see also urban Republicans in Staten Island or Philly (at state level more than at federal level in the latter case.)
Also, in Germany, for convoluted education politics reasons that it would fill a hundred pages to make you understand, purportedly "better" schools will frequently be situated in the core cities...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 06:40:31 AM »

I doubt many consciously refuse to, but many are probably unable to or find them unappealing due to racial or socio-economic reasons, as opposed to the fact that they´re suburbs. Thus it´s characteristics assoicated with subrubs that make them unappealing to some groups that tend to vote democratic, not the fact that suburbs are suburbs.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »

Hint:

Fair or not, Minneapolis schools are still perceived to be worse than suburban ones.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »

Interesting how that has changed out here in the west and the northeast. Well it has a lot to do with your region of the country actually.

Yup, the south is a big reason why Long Island and other suburbs like it have changed from Republican to Democratic.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »

Did either of you read the post? (Well I guess the answer is Duke's case in obvious since he's an idiot who never reads crap and just got brutally fucking owned by Mikado). I'm talking about suburbs that border the city and are basically indistinguishable from the parts of the city they border. It'd be absolutely impossible to tell what is part of Edina or Richfield and what's part of southwest Minneapolis in that area if it wasn't for the signs labeling when you enter the next city, same with northeast Minneapolis and Columbia Heights. So in other words Duke is just being his usual idiotic braindead self.

Some of the areas in northwest Nassau County are more Democratic than the bordering areas in northeast Queens.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

San Jose is a "super-rich" suburb?  Maybe you meant housing tract or something. Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

I doubt many consciously refuse to, but many are probably unable to or find them unappealing due to racial or socio-economic reasons, as opposed to the fact that they´re suburbs. Thus it´s characteristics assoicated with subrubs that make them unappealing to some groups that tend to vote democratic, not the fact that suburbs are suburbs.

However does that apply to areas where the city and suburbs border and both areas are practically indistinguishable from each other?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »

If they're indistinguisable they're not really suburbs as we know them.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies