Religion and national loyalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:26:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Religion and national loyalty
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religion and national loyalty  (Read 2701 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:28:22 PM »

Is the US obligated to allow those who practice religions which more or less mandate for doctrinal/cultural reasons that they not be loyal to America but instead their homeland to enjoy the same rights and priviliges of everyone else? The last time I checked, the constitution didn't have exemptions for national loyalty based on religion. Not naming any actual religions but raising a hypothetical question here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »

Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution doesn't have provisions to ensure national loyalty.  What the hell is "national loyalty" anyway?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution doesn't have provisions to ensure national loyalty.  What the hell is "national loyalty" anyway?
1 Weird. Not even in the parts regarding citizenship? Huh

2 Being loyal to the US first and foremost. Basically if it came down to war between the US/your ancestral homeland and you get drafted you fight for the US.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »

The last time I checked, the constitution didn't have exemptions for national loyalty based on religion.

Last time I checked, it didn't require it either. In fact a requirement of loyalty is not present as well. So, since it does give freedom of religion (thus not allowing the government to punish members of any particular religion) I would say the answer is yes.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

Ah, but how about in wartime? There's no constitutional provision allowing internment of Japanese-Americans so hypothetically, if their support for their homeland was seen to be causing a security risk and we had an FDR/Bush/LBJ style militarist in power would they be able to come up with some sort of concocted legalism to justify repression?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »

1 Weird. Not even in the parts regarding citizenship? Huh

Can you provide a citation?

2 Being loyal to the US first and foremost. Basically if it came down to war between the US/your ancestral homeland and you get drafted you fight for the US.

How do you plan on enforcing that?

Personally, I wouldn't fight for any country just because I live in it.  Living in a country does not make it right in whatever war it enters.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »

1 I would if there was a part saying such but apparentl there isn't so I can't provide one.

2 Simple. End dual citizenship and step up efforts to turn immigrants into americans/integrate them. That solves the dual loyalties issues.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:43:20 PM »

Ah, but how about in wartime? There's no constitutional provision allowing internment of Japanese-Americans so hypothetically, if their support for their homeland was seen to be causing a security risk and we had an FDR/Bush/LBJ style militarist in power would they be able to come up with some sort of concocted legalism to justify repression?

The internment of Japanese-Americans was blatantly unconstitutional, and they only got away with it because it was after an attack by the Japanese and public sentiment was such that they could get away with it. Yes, our constitutional rights are that fragile.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »

2 Simple. End dual citizenship and step up efforts to turn immigrants into americans/integrate them. That solves the dual loyalties issues.

The first is symbolic and isn't going to change anyone's loyalties.

The second isn't specific enough policy to comment on.

I've also lost the religious connection.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »

The question is would you support equal treatment for members of a religious minority where the VAST majority(as in almost all) are provably working against US interests/aren't loyal to the US?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »

Being loyal to the US first and foremost. Basically if it came down to war between the US/your ancestral homeland and you get drafted you fight for the US.

I think there are very few US Jews (and those are the people you're thinking of) who would have any trouble going to war against Israel on the US side, especially considering the odds of us ever going to war with Israel.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »

I said hypothetically not naming any actual examples. <_<
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »

Being loyal to the US first and foremost. Basically if it came down to war between the US/your ancestral homeland and you get drafted you fight for the US.

I think there are very few US Jews (and those are the people you're thinking of) who would have any trouble going to war against Israel on the US side, especially considering the odds of us ever going to war with Israel.

AFAIK, all Orthodox and some Conservative Jews would, forming a substantial fifth column.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »

LMAO. Jews are 1% of the US population and orthodox/conservatives are a minority so not substantial.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

No, there isn't a part of the Constitution that would force us to deport the Jehovah's Witnesses and Quakers.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »

LMAO. Jews are 1% of the US population and orthodox/conservatives are a minority so not substantial.

One in a few thousand is quite substantial in such a large country.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »

Is the US obligated to allow those who practice religions which more or less mandate for doctrinal/cultural reasons that they not be loyal to America but instead their homeland to enjoy the same rights and priviliges of everyone else? The last time I checked, the constitution didn't have exemptions for national loyalty based on religion. Not naming any actual religions but raising a hypothetical question here.

The law is focused on acts, not ideas or thoughts. Yes, the US is so obligated short of acts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies