Intercessory Prayer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:48:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Intercessory Prayer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Intercessory Prayer  (Read 4366 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2008, 01:17:07 PM »

Well, I'll let the non-Catholics start the discussion, and, as is my custom, I will job in and counter their thoughts.  So... discuss.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »

??

Do I need to give a Pagan prayer, to start the discussion or what?  I am still relatively new here.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »

??

Do I need to give a Pagan prayer, to start the discussion or what?  I am still relatively new here.

No, I am talking about the general topic of intercessory prayer.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »

I certainly pray for the welfare of others, although not as often as I should.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »

??

No, I am talking about the general topic of intercessory prayer.

What does it mean? Asking "God" to help out on micro matters?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:22:34 PM »

I imagine the topic is about the idea of a living person praying on a deceased person's behalf, that God would show them mercy, or the idea of appealing to dead Christian saints. I imagine Soulty is waiting for a hyper protestant to come in and decry it as evil, misrepresenting the idea of intercessory prayer. Then we'll get a wearisome back and forth for our entertainment Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »

I imagine Soulty is waiting for a hyper protestant to come in and decry it as evil, misrepresenting the idea of intercessory prayer. Then we'll get a wearisome back and forth for our entertainment Smiley

That's pretty much what I thought Smiley
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 05:41:03 PM »

Well, I'll let the non-Catholics start the discussion, and, as is my custom, I will job in and counter their thoughts.  So... discuss.

there are too many examples of person x praying to God for person y in the bible for me to reference in one post. 

James 5:16 "Pray one for another"

what's there to counter?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »

Is that when you pray to (or is it through...) a Saint, rather than directly to God [qm]. Apologies; I'm largely ignorant of internal RC stuff.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »

there are too many examples of person x praying to God for person y in the bible for me to reference in one post. 

James 5:16 "Pray one for another"

what's there to counter?

That James 5:16 has no religious significance, and is just the writings of a 1st century former Jew.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »

Is that when you pray to (or is it through...) a Saint, rather than directly to God [qm]. Apologies; I'm largely ignorant of internal RC stuff.

Theres nothing distinctively Catholic, as jmfcst rightly says (probably my only use of those three words in that order) in praying for either the living or departed.

Intercession through the saints however may be more debatable; that is the 'petitioning' to God through saints, often specific saints on behalf of yourself or others. Often, and this is controversial within some Catholic circles, is praying for intercession through non-canonised people of note or worth. This can all get mixed up in whether or not the dead can infact pray for the living etc.

Many Protestants believe that there is no 'mediator' between man and God (and I think there is something in Timothy about that)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »

Many Protestants believe that there is no 'mediator' between man and God (and I think there is something in Timothy about that)

i have never met a protestant who believes there is no mediator between man and God.

1Tim 2:5 "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 07:25:46 PM »

I have traditionally believed only person can mediate the eternal dispute between imperfect humanity and perfect Deity.  And his name is Jesus Christ.

Do I believe the departed can and do pray for and with us?  I do.  I believe they are as alive as we are.  More so, only in another realm.  I do not believe they are sitting on clouds, plucking harps.

But do we pray TO anyone but God?  There is no scriptural precedent for this whatsoever.  I might, in my prayers, ask the Blessed Virgin Mary to pray for me. Just as I might ask a Christian brother or sister to pray for me.  I would not ask her to mediate for me.  And if I did, I suspect she would point me to her Son.

As to whether another persons prayers, or my own, can change things...I find it is usually the case that prayer changes me, far more often than it changes my circumstances. 

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »

As far as I know, Judaism has nothing close to praying to Saints, the Virgin Mary, etc.  Even the Rabbis aren't necessary in services; any Bar Mitzvahed male can lead a service (or female, if you're not Orthodox).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »

Praying to anything but God is blasphemous in Islam. A pretty straightforward position, IMO.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 09:03:37 PM »

Not all of us are or seek to be muslims, Xahar.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »

And...?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »

You were acting like just because something is blasphemous in islam we should all consider it blasphemous.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

You were acting like just because something is blasphemous in islam we should all consider it blasphemous.

Well, it's assumed that it's my position.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »

Isn't that kind of the idea behind religious belief?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »

In theory yes but in this globalized and relatively secular age you think one would be less willing to try spreading their beliefs but alas I am wrong..
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »

In theory yes but in this globalized and relatively secular age you think one would be less willing to try spreading their beliefs but alas I am wrong..

There's a difference between spreading beliefs and what Xahar is doing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »

There's a difference between spreading beliefs and what Xahar is doing.

Well, I'm certainly spreading knowledge of my beliefs here, as many have acknowledged. But I'm certainly not proselytizing.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »

I imagine the topic is about the idea of a living person praying on a deceased person's behalf, that God would show them mercy, or the idea of appealing to dead Christian saints. I imagine Soulty is waiting for a hyper protestant to come in and decry it as evil, misrepresenting the idea of intercessory prayer. Then we'll get a wearisome back and forth for our entertainment Smiley

Actually, I was thinking about the topic generally, but most specifically in terms of dealing with the saints and such.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »

i have never met a protestant who believes there is no mediator between man and God.

1Tim 2:5 "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"

Fair point. But I was referring to the trinitarian notion of God.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies