Will US Catholics be almost exclusively Hispanic in 30 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Will US Catholics be almost exclusively Hispanic in 30 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will US Catholics be almost exclusively Hispanic in 30 years?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Will US Catholics be almost exclusively Hispanic in 30 years?  (Read 4615 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:01:07 AM »

Yes, due to the rate of whites rejecting the church most likely. Hispanic immigration is the only reason the Catholic percentage in the US is stable.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:25:16 AM »

if it's comforting to you, BRTD, I and many of my close friends are Hispanics who have rejected Catholicism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »

if it's comforting to you, BRTD, I and many of my close friends are Hispanics who have rejected Catholicism.

Also nice. Anyone who has rejected Catholicism is a good thing to me (unless it was for something much worse.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:37:51 AM »

You're a tough nut, BRTD.  My parents rejected Southern Baptism to become Catholic.  Are they FF's or HP's in your book?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:19 AM »

You're a tough nut, BRTD.  My parents rejected Southern Baptism to become Catholic.  Are they FF's or HP's in your book?

Why that and not a liberal Protestant denom?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 03:35:02 AM »

Define "almost exclusively"
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but world wide, not just in the US, Mainline Protestant Churches are declining at a much faster rate.  In England, right now, there are more Catholics than people who claim allegiance to the Church of England.  All over the United States, Mainline Churches are shutting down, many without even enough people left to effect a merger of parishes.

It's sad to think that almost half the Catholic churches in the Pittsburgh diocese had to shut down, until one realizes that close to 75% of all mainline Protestant congregations have shut their doors, and several dozen historic Protestant churches have been torn down in the last decade.  And Pittsburgh is almost devoid of Hispanics.  It's still sad, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, but we aren't as hard up, at least.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2008, 06:24:12 PM by Torie »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but world wide, not just in the US, Mainline Protestant Churches are declining at a much faster rate.  In England, right now, there are more Catholics than people who claim allegiance to the Church of England.  All over the United States, Mainline Churches are shutting down, many without even enough people left to effect a merger of parishes.

It's sad to think that almost half the Catholic churches in the Pittsburgh diocese had to shut down, until one realizes that close to 75% of all mainline Protestant congregations have shut their doors, and several dozen historic Protestant churches have been torn down in the last decade.  And Pittsburgh is almost devoid of Hispanics.  It's still sad, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, but we aren't as hard up, at least.

Most Protestants in the US are not "Mainline" these days. But there are a lot of secular Protestants out there, or some with vague cultural affinities, who never go to church, and many who reject the divinity of Christ, but if forced, would say that they are WASP. Mainline is a way station to "Torieville" in many cases, I suspect. Mainline is just too cerebral, and well, fails to put on good entertainment all too often (although the Methodists tend to have excellent hymns and good choirs; Episcopal hymns tend to be basically un-singable for the average Joe without much musical talent or voice, and that includes moi).  The Catholic Church has many of the same issues, including lousy music.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 05:53:09 PM »

No.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »

In England, right now, there are more Catholics than people who claim allegiance to the Church of England.

False. But more people go to regular services in RC churches than CofE ones (but that's been true for at least a decade now. More people go regular services in non-Anglican Protestant churches than CofE churches also). But that's probably what you were thinking of anyway.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »

This thread sucks and no.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »

Let's bring some logic into this as opposed to BRTD's delusional anti-catholic bigotry.

1 The current wave of fundamentalism/devout protestantism is petering out and with the aging of the baby boomers the group keeping the number of protestants as a percentage of the population so high is going to be gone.
2 What does this mean? It's simple. The same thing will happen here as is in the UK. Protestantism will hollow out leading to an increasingly catholic US by virtue of demographic replacement/converts. Give it 30-50 years and protestants will be a minority of 15-25% concentrated in the south.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »

Let's bring some logic into this as opposed to BRTD's delusional anti-catholic bigotry.

1 The current wave of fundamentalism/devout protestantism is petering out and with the aging of the baby boomers the group keeping the number of protestants as a percentage of the population so high is going to be gone.
2 What does this mean? It's simple. The same thing will happen here as is in the UK. Protestantism will hollow out leading to an increasingly catholic US by virtue of demographic replacement/converts. Give it 30-50 years and protestants will be a minority of 15-25% concentrated in the south.

Uh, Minnesota or the rest of the Midwest certainly isn't turning away from Protestantism anytime soon.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »

That part of the country is aging rapidly AND it's getting more and latin immigration along with the sorry state of many protestant churche. I wouldn't count on that if I were you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »

That part of the country is aging rapidly AND it's getting more and latin immigration along with the sorry state of many protestant churche. I wouldn't count on that if I were you.

Hispanics are going to take over here? Ha.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »

US is over 15% latin counting only citizens and immigrants both legal/illegal it's more like 25-30%. The US is well on the road to being a mostly catholic anglo-latin fusion country and parts of the country are already there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

US is over 15% latin counting only citizens and immigrants both legal/illegal it's more like 25-30%. The US is well on the road to being a mostly catholic anglo-latin fusion country and parts of the country are already there.

Yes, and Minnesota is not one of those parts. Nor is it exactly booming with Hispanics now (or any non-whites.)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »

Minnesota will age into oblivion and become a ghost state more or less then. The future is in the coasts/the sunbelt.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »

Assuming current trends will continue indefinitely is pretty arrogant.  History has plenty of tricks up her skirts for us.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »

Assuming current trends will continue indefinitely is pretty arrogant.  History has plenty of tricks up her skirts for us.
Stop bringing logic into a BRTD thread.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »

Stop bringing logic into a BRTD thread.

Oops, you're right, forgot where we were.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »

We are in some kind of twilight zone.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »

US is 15% Hispanic.
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/011910.html
Census people don't care if you are legal or not.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »

US is 15% Hispanic.
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/011910.html
Census people don't care if you are legal or not.

Although illegals may think the Census does...but, yeah, 25-30 percent is probably a gross overestimation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »

We are in some kind of twilight zone.

Do you think America could have more in common with Mexico than Canada by 2050- That is a great question.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies