The why Elizabeth Dole is an awful pol thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:57:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The why Elizabeth Dole is an awful pol thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The why Elizabeth Dole is an awful pol thread  (Read 2639 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »

Q2 fundraising:

Elizabeth Dole (R-inc): $2.7M CoH
Mark Kirk (R-inc): $2.85M CoH

Population of North Carolina (2000 estimate): 8,049,313
Population of Illinois' 10th Congressional District (2000 estimate): 653,647

While Kirk is a prodigious fundraiser, he shouldn't have more money on hand than an incumbent Senator in heated reelection campaign. Dole has just over half the CoH of John Sununu, who occupies a much smaller state than North Carolina.

Some savvy politicos may remember that near the end of her dismal run as head of the NRSC, Dole decided Michigan was a pickup opportunity. This was two months after the NRSC pulled out of Montana, only to make a half-hearted ad buy, which they terminated right before the race tightened the final weeks. Dole's NRSC expended $1 million in MI and cut off funds for MT.

Michigan (upset-central according to Dole):
Stabenow (D-inc.)2,151,278 (56.91%)    
Bouchard (R)       1,559,597 (41.26%)

Montana (a lost cause according to Dole):
Tester (D)        199,795 (49.16%)    
Burns  (R-inc.) 196,283 (48.29%)

Dole was out-raised by Schumer, out-strategized in the final weeks of the '06 campaign, and now she's been out-raised by a lowly Congressman!

The most amusing part of this is that she'll probably win again by 52%-54%, the standard GOP margins in NC Senate races.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »

I don't think I'd jump from the same conclusion due to one CoH comparison to an Illinois Representative.  Also remember that Senator Dole has already been running ads to prop up her ailing approval ratings, so she has already had a major campaign expense.

Although I do agree whole-heartedly that she was an awful head of the NRSC.  That was a major train-wreck.  I really can't imagine that she is a very competent Senator either.  I hope she loses.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:03:21 AM »

I don't think I'd jump from the same conclusion due to one CoH comparison to an Illinois Representative.  Also remember that Senator Dole has already been running ads to prop up her ailing approval ratings, so she has already had a major campaign expense.
Don't ruin my fun.Wink
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »

And the ads worked fantastically.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:07:36 AM »

Yeah, this woman is a joke.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »

So, you expect her to throw away NC somehow?  Highly unlikely.

Note that this doesn't mean I disagree with a lot of what you say.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »

So, you expect her to throw away NC somehow?  Highly unlikely.

Note that this doesn't mean I disagree with a lot of what you say.
No. I expect her to win by 52%-54%, like every other North Carolina Senator over the past quarter of a century. Tongue
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »

Unfortunately no one in the Republican Party in North Carolina decided to challenge her as a candidate for Senate.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »

Did she really think Bouchard had a shot? She's an idiot. Pure and simple.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

The respective Senatorial campaign chairs have to have their upset race but when you're in the final weeks of the campaign, you can't divert a million to that upset race when your candidate is still way behind. It's even worse when you consider the fact that the pulled out of Montana when polls showed it narrowing!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »

The respective Senatorial campaign chairs have to have their upset race but when you're in the final weeks of the campaign, you can't divert a million to that upset race when your candidate is still way behind. It's even worse when you consider the fact that the pulled out of Montana when polls showed it narrowing!

I agree. She single handily blew the chance for the GOP to hold the Senate. I'm glad she's incompetent, though. I mean, who actually liked Burns?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »

I agree. She single handily blew the chance for the GOP to hold the Senate. I'm glad she's incompetent, though. I mean, who actually liked Burns?

I didn't but I liked having the Senate.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »

I didn't but I liked having the Senate.

With Reid, it's like you do have the Senate. He's getting utterly routed by McConnell in procedure.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »

She is not an idiot actually, She just seems like one.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »

She is not an idiot actually, She just seems like one.

Well, she's displaying all the symptoms.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »

Well, I could think of far worse things to say about someone than "they are a bad politician" and only a few nicer compliments.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »

Quite frankly, I think Burns' chances were blown when Bush made the appearance out there, rather than the NRSC not spending money for advertising.  Otherwise, he might have eeked through, but I can't say I'm unhappy the opposite happened.

Strangely enough, Burns' strategy of attacking Tester on taxes was highly effective using his own money.  I doubt the NRSC would have spent it as wisely.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 07:25:54 AM »

I wonder if she views women like Debbie Stabenow as an alien species and can't conceive of how they get votes.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 09:41:28 PM »

Well, I could think of far worse things to say about someone than "they are a bad politician" and only a few nicer compliments.

Let's phrase it this way:

"They are bad at their job."
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »

Quite frankly, I think Burns' chances were blown when Bush made the appearance out there, rather than the NRSC not spending money for advertising.  Otherwise, he might have eeked through, but I can't say I'm unhappy the opposite happened.

Strangely enough, Burns' strategy of attacking Tester on taxes was highly effective using his own money.  I doubt the NRSC would have spent it as wisely.

It could have been a conjunction of the two. Plus, I'm sure Burns' "comments" on out-of-state firefighters didn't help his cause, either. It was a horrible campaign on all ends, I guess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies