Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:10:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'  (Read 1938 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:59:02 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/education/2261307/Toddlers-who-dislike-spicy-food-racist%2C-say-report.html?service=print

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent
Last updated: 9:29 AM BST 08/07/2008
Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:51:46 AM »

Thats right bitches if you do not like Indian food you are a racist. MUAWAHAHAHAHAHAH
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:41:43 AM »

It came from the Telegraph so there is no way this is true.  We can all ignore it.  The UK is not a Nanny State.  Move along, nothing to see here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »

Thats right bitches if you do not like Indian food you are a racist. MUAWAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh no! I'm a self-hating racist!
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »

Could someone with more information verify this. It sounds rather shocking.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »

Could someone with more information verify this. It sounds rather shocking predictable.

Corrected.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »

Indian food sucks, except for north indian non vegetarian stuff
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »

Could someone with more information verify this. It sounds rather shocking.

Here's the charity's website: http://www.ncb.org.uk/Page.asp Not sure whether it'll have anything about this on there, but it might.

This, if you're interested, is the newswire report that most coverage of this has been based on:

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gW078Iyxc7kcTobdvhRbisC1gTZg
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »

Clearly living in Amerikkka has destroyed your tastebuds
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »

Clearly living in Britain has made your perception of Indian food drastically different from reality. My uncle is the proprietor of an eatery in Kensington. What I ate there is drastically different from what I ate at their home.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

Clearly living in Britain has made your perception of Indian food drastically different from reality. My uncle is the proprietor of an eatery in Kensington. What I ate there is drastically different from what I ate at their home.
I've eaten pretty damn good home-cooked Indian food...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »

I had always been adverse to Indian food, as I had the common complaint of "I don't like curry."

Of course, once I sat down at an authentic Indian eatery and tried Chicken Korma with Naan and some Basmati Rice, I've been hooked.  It is absolutely amazing what they can do with those Tandoori ovens.  Melt-in-your-mouth incredible.

I now make Indian food at home regularly.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »

Really dawg? I think you need to hit up some good south indian joints. Uthapam and Dosa are so bomb. That being said I cannot live without some good chicken tandoori... living in Delhi spoiled me.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »

I am guessing they do not make Bengali food? Probably just vats and vats of chicken tikka masala, the national food of Britain.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »

A friend of mine who has been everywhere in the world, informs me that if God has a cook, he is beyond per adventure a Tamil.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »

Really dawg? I think you need to hit up some good south indian joints. Uthapam and Dosa are so bomb. That being said I cannot live without some good chicken tandoori... living in Delhi spoiled me.

I haven't really found a decent Indian restaurant in Orange County, much less a Tamil one.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 03:32:03 PM »

I like spicy food (Mexican, Cajun, Thai, Szechuan Chinese, etc.), but I've never like Indian food very much, especially curry.  It and I don't get along very well.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 03:34:02 PM »

I haven't really found a decent Indian restaurant in Orange County, much less a Tamil one.

Yeah they are mostly crap when they do exist. Southern California in general seems to have a dearth of good Indian food. Artesia is also not as good as its made out to be. BTW if you are looking for some good Tamil food in CA, no place is better than Saravana Bhavan in San Jose.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »

I am guessing they do not make Bengali food? Probably just vats and vats of chicken tikka masala, the national food of Britain.

It certainly is! Tongue

But they make standard British fare, which is a corruption of Bengali food.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »

Curry is excellent.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 12:31:53 PM »

Indian food is the best. You guys are nuts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies