Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium  (Read 32711 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »

No, I only live 15 minutes away from a city that is 43% African American.

You state that Obama is a unknown quantity then you state that people view him as elitist. All I'm saying is that most Americans seem to disagree with you that Obama comes off as an elitist. That may be your perception of him, but It definitely isn't with a lot of Americans.

15 minutes is a light year, in your case (and frankly the bulk of white people that I know).

The impression that os being created is that of an elitist; it is not a good move in American politics.

Except the fact that I used to work in a 90% black neighborhood and my next door neighbor is black. I get plenty of interaction with the African American Community, thank you very much.

I still don't get how giving a big speech elitist but whatever.

Like I said, a light year.  I had a friend raise it just last night after a visit to Myersdale, PA.  She was expecting to be lynched at the local fast food place.

Giving a big speech isn't.  Doing it in a stadium looks like it is elitist.  It plays to chanting crowd of which most people in the US are not part.  It's spectacle, Nurembergesque, but not reaching to the average voter.

Obama (and McCain) has to sit down at the kitchen table with the voter.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »

The thing that bothers me the most about Obama is his tendency to disregard his friends and supporters so blatantly when they become inconvenient, specifically because that is so contrary to his public image which he himself so carefully crafts.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Remember how Obama threw away his first wife away like a piece of garbage after she was in a car accident? She simply wasn't good enough anymore, so he married some rich heiress beauty queen. Typical Obama.

McCain's first wife was a model, jackass.

Ross Perot, who paid for Carol McCain's expensive medical bills while John was in Vietnam said this:
"‘After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history.’"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html

Carol's wikipedia page covers all this.

I don't bag McCain much because of this, but certainly the guy has some ambition (he told his college roommate he wanted to do something so that he would be remembered in the history books and Carol early on that he wanted to be president).

H. Ross Perot is not a valid source for anything... and I'm not saying that because I am trying to cover McCain's ass... I'm saying it because it is H. Ross Perot.

That being said, as I said, I don't think McCain is perfect.  I respect him, but he has made his share of mistakes.

So you can dismiss source's just like that but use small instances in Obama's life to put together a fully-fledged analysis of his mind-state?

Perot in particular is known to have a nack for exaggeration, if not outright confabulation.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »

Perot would have been the best president of the 20th century had he even 10% more mental stability.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

You state that Obama is a unknown quantity then you state that people view him as elitist. All I'm saying is that most Americans seem to disagree with you that Obama comes off as an elitist. That may be your perception of him, but It definitely isn't with a lot of Americans.

15 minutes is a light year, in your case (and frankly the bulk of white people that I know).

The impression that os being created is that of an elitist; it is not a good move in American politics.

Except the fact that I used to work in a 90% black neighborhood and my next door neighbor is black. I get plenty of interaction with the African American Community, thank you very much.

Like I said, a light year.  I had a friend raise it just last night after a visit to Myersdale, PA.  She was expecting to be lynched at the local fast food place.
Whatever, you seem to know more about my life than I but it matters not.

Giving a big speech isn't.  Doing it in a stadium looks like it is elitist.  It plays to chanting crowd of which most people in the US are not part.  It's spectacle, Nurembergesque, but not reaching to the average voter.
That's total bull and you know it. The average voter isn't going to see his acceptance speech and think "Wow, there's a lot of people there. How elitist of Obama to hold his acceptance speech in a stadium!" Listen to how ridiculous your sounding right now.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »

Did you see McCain's cozy speech in New Orleans with a crowd of a few hundred? It diminished him, and not in a good "jus folks" way.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

Did you see McCain's cozy speech in New Orleans with a crowd of a few hundred? It diminished him, and not in a good "jus folks" way.

That speech was a wreck... let us never mention it again.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2008, 07:36:21 PM »

I keep seeing it on The Colbert Report. I think I've memorized it:

"...job loss, failing schools, pensions at risk..."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »

No, but I obviously know more about the Black urban community than you do.  You may drive through it, with your doors locked, but I live in it, by choice and I'm part of it.  That might explain why I've been a bit more sympathetic to Obama's membership in Trinity and his support of Faith Based Initiatives.

Again you missed it.  Obama has to connect with the voter, directly.  Putting in a setting that makes him surrounded by a chanting crowd, even if properly implemented, does not do that.  The problem for Obama is that he doesn't understand that.  One of the most famous (and re-used) lines from any presidential campaign was "A you better off than you were ... ."  It was a direct appeal to the individual.  Nuremberg doesn't do that.

Obama has to connect, but he's failed so far.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »

"...and that's not change you can believe in. Hahaha..." (forced smile/confused applause)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »

No, but I obviously know more about the Black urban community than you do.  You may drive through it, with your doors locked, but I live in it, by choice and I'm part of it.  That might explain why I've been a bit more sympathetic to Obama's membership in Trinity and his support of Faith Based Initiatives.

Again you missed it.  Obama has to connect with the voter, directly.  Putting in a setting that makes him surrounded by a chanting crowd, even if properly implemented, does not do that.  The problem for Obama is that he doesn't understand that.  One of the most famous (and re-used) lines from any presidential campaign was "A you better off than you were ... ."  It was a direct appeal to the individual.  Nuremberg doesn't do that.

Obama has to connect, but he's failed so far.

Do you follow me around, are you a creeper or somethin'? Wink

I can't believe you don't know how arrogant you are sounding right now. I lived in Saginaw for half my life, moving out when I was 9. I went to a Catholic elementary school that was half AA. Heck, we practically lived almost in the ghetto. (We moved when it got bad.) I've been there when racist cops arrested my friends for wearing their pants to low. I've been there when my neighbor was shot for trying to make the community better. I was there when my former Bishop got robbed in the middle of a parking lot when he was trying to better the lives of the poor. So don't tell me that I don't know what a black urban community is like.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »

"...and that's not change you can believe in. Hahaha..." (forced smile/confused applause)

That line was like an icepick through my temple.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »

That line was like an icepick through my temple.
Yeah, it was pretty bad, wasn't it? He's much better in the town-hall style rather than against his nemesis: The Teleprompter.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:16 PM »

I can't believe you don't know how arrogant you are sounding right now. I lived in Saginaw for half my life, moving out when I was 9. I went to a Catholic elementary school that was half AA. Heck, we practically lived almost in the ghetto. (We moved when it got bad.) I've been there when racist cops arrested my friends for wearing their pants to low. I've been there when my neighbor was shot for trying to make the community better. I was there when my former Bishop got robbed in the middle of a parking lot when he was trying to better the lives of the poor. So don't tell me that I don't know what a black urban community is like.

I live in North Philadelphia, with a white population of three percent, and I know most of my neighbors, and attend their weddings and family funerals.  My priest is Black, as is 2/3 of my church.  My most recent girlfriend was Black and from the neighborhood (Sissy doesn't count).

Please don't think you understand understand the Black community anymore than Obama understands the those white small town people that he calls "bitter."
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »

I live in North Philadelphia, with a white population of three percent, and I know most of my neighbors, and attend their weddings and family funerals.  My priest is Black, as is 2/3 of my church.  My most recent girlfriend was Black and from the neighborhood (Sissy doesn't count).

Please don't think you understand understand the Black community anymore than Obama understands the those white small town people that he calls "bitter."

Fine. I just don't want you saying I'm a light year away from them and you know them better than I. I don't want to have to play the "I'm more black than you!" game.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2008, 09:42:32 PM »

Do folks in your hood know your politics, and to the extent they do, do you get any reaction, and if so what?  Just curious.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »

Fine. I just don't want you saying I'm a light year away from them and you know them better than I. I don't want to have to play the "I'm more black than you!" game.

It is true, however.  You think that because you are "fifteen minutes away" from a black neighborhood, you have special insight.  In actuality, Keystone Phil and Ice Hockey live 15 minutes away from a Black inner city neighborhood; I don't see either one claiming this.

Your problem is one that you share with Obama, and you've just illustrated the point.

We live in a culturally segregated society by race.  It's not legal thing, it's not enforced, it isn't even economic, but the outlook is different.  Some of it is urban versus nonurban.  Neither culture is superior to the other, but they are different.  In many cases, both cultures are interested in the other culture.

It happens both ways.  A lot of I was hoping that someone that represented both cultures, politically, like Obama, could relate to both.  His remark shows he doesn't.  His rally in a stadium has the same effect; it doesn't reach that segment that he doesn't relate to.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »

I really have had no interest in posting in this silly thread, but I do want to comment that I think moving the speech to a large stadium with 75,000 people is a bad idea, considering the people that I think Obama wants to go after.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »

It is true, however.  You think that because you are "fifteen minutes away" from a black neighborhood, you have special insight.  In actuality, Keystone Phil and Ice Hockey live 15 minutes away from a Black inner city neighborhood; I don't see either one claiming this.

Yes, I do now live in an 90% white neighborhood, but I used to live in a mixed neighborhood in Saginaw where neither race was dominate. It was about 60-40 white with very little segregation given the city. Though racial tensions where high and are high now for numerous reasons, I learned a lot even though I was young from having 7 AA families on my street and 13 or 14 white families on the street. You may live in an area where one race is dominate but have you lived in one where it's split 47-43?

Your problem is one that you share with Obama, and you've just illustrated the point.

We live in a culturally segregated society by race.  It's not legal thing, it's not enforced, it isn't even economic, but the outlook is different.  Some of it is urban versus nonurban.  Neither culture is superior to the other, but they are different.  In many cases, both cultures are interested in the other culture.

It happens both ways.  A lot of I was hoping that someone that represented both cultures, politically, like Obama, could relate to both.  His remark shows he doesn't.  His rally in a stadium has the same effect; it doesn't reach that segment that he doesn't relate to.

So how would a regular conventions speech that hold 20,000 people look so different? How would that reach people more than the stadium speech?

Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:01 AM »

The Obamajugend are of course busy preparing for the rally by shining their boots and getting their truncheons out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »

Yes, I do now live in an 90% white neighborhood, but I used to live in a mixed neighborhood in Saginaw where neither race was dominate. It was about 60-40 white with very little segregation given the city. Though racial tensions where high and are high now for numerous reasons, I learned a lot even though I was young from having 7 AA families on my street and 13 or 14 white families on the street. You may live in an area where one race is dominate but have you lived in one where it's split 47-43?

Yes, or close too it, and in areas with less than a 1% Black population as well.  It's clear you just don't get it.  Sorry, but Saginaw isn't exactly North Phila. 

Because the bigness itself hurts, in increases the gulf between Obama and the voter.  This makes him look like he's setting himself apart.

BTW, I finally heard Jesse Jackson's remarks.  Yes, he's right about the appearance of talking down, but just not to Black people.  So now you have it in black and (semi) white.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »

Yes, or close too it, and in areas with less than a 1% Black population as well.  It's clear you just don't get it.  Sorry, but Saginaw isn't exactly North Phila. 

Because the bigness itself hurts, in increases the gulf between Obama and the voter.  This makes him look like he's setting himself apart.

BTW, I finally heard Jesse Jackson's remarks.  Yes, he's right about the appearance of talking down, but just not to Black people.  So now you have it in black and (semi) white.

Clearly, your correct. Saginaw isn't North Philadelphia.  However, was Philadelphia ranked the 14th most dangerous Metro area in the nation? Come to Saginaw, Detroit or Flint to see what poor economic conditions can do to race relations.

You're over analyzing the impact the Convention speech is going to have. If Obama is seen as elitist, it won't be because of the convention speech. Opening the Convention isn't going to hurt Obama. I don't think there will be any effect either way, However, I could easily make the counter-argument that the speech will likely help him because he's opening it up to non-party insiders. I think it is inconsequential either way though. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2008, 04:58:23 PM »

Clearly, your correct. Saginaw isn't North Philadelphia.  However, was Philadelphia ranked the 14th most dangerous Metro area in the nation? Come to Saginaw, Detroit or Flint to see what poor economic conditions can do to race relations.

You're over analyzing the impact the Convention speech is going to have. If Obama is seen as elitist, it won't be because of the convention speech. Opening the Convention isn't going to hurt Obama. I don't think there will be any effect either way, However, I could easily make the counter-argument that the speech will likely help him because he's opening it up to non-party insiders. I think it is inconsequential either way though. 

Philadelphia was supposedly the murder capitol of the US.  No, you can come to North Philadelphia, but stay a while.  Don't drive through with your doors locked.

No, I am saying that doing the speech this way reinforces the idea that Obama is an elitist, and that is not good.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »

Philadelphia was supposedly the murder capitol of the US.  No, you can come to North Philadelphia, but stay a while.  Don't drive through with your doors locked.

No, I am saying that doing the speech this way reinforces the idea that Obama is an elitist, and that is not good.

That'd be Detroit. Whatever though, you can think I haven't been in those situations when I have. I have nothing to prove to you.

It reinforces the idea for people who want to believe it. (i.e. you)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

Will the Obamajugend execute dissenters at the convention?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2008, 08:45:43 PM »

Will the Obamajugend execute dissenters at the convention?

Only you
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies