Have the Serbs been on the right side of every war until very recent times?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 08:22:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Have the Serbs been on the right side of every war until very recent times?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have the Serbs been on the right side of every war until very recent times?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Have the Serbs been on the right side of every war until very recent times?  (Read 2830 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »
« edited: July 06, 2008, 10:23:41 PM by L. Ron Hubbard was a liar and a false prophet »

Yes, basically.

Fought the Crusaders, fought the Ottomans, fought the 19th/20th Century European imperalist pigs like that trash Franz Ferdinand and the Nazis.

I'd also argue they were on the right side in Kosovo and largely in Croatia (at least, the Republic of Serbian Krajina was the right side in that war against the Croat state.) So that basically leaves only Bosnia were they were in the wrong.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »

What made the Serbs better than the Ottomans, exactly?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »

That they were the people defending their land against the invading imperialist pigs.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »

That they were the people defending their land against the invading imperialist pigs.

Lands that the Serbs themselves had quite recently (in historical terms) conquered from the Byzantines, making them also imperialist pigs. Your point?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:24 AM »

The Ottomans were Muslims... in BRTD world Muslim = deserving of death.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »

I have several Serbian friends from when I was in Bosnia, and they are nothing like the psychotic fascists portrayed by the media.   Very nice people, as individuals.

Ironically, many of them have a very favorable view of Turks and have a fondness for Turkish food, music, and culture, but at the same time will let you know that Albanians and Bosniaks are scum of the earth.    Go figure.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »

Lands that the Serbs themselves had quite recently (in historical terms) conquered from the Byzantines, making them also imperialist pigs. Your point?

That's like saying the US was a British colony quite recently "in historical terms".

The Ottomans were Muslims... in BRTD world Muslim = deserving of death.

Ah, but then I would support the Crusades, right?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2008, 05:36:46 PM by Verily »

That's like saying the US was a British colony quite recently "in historical terms".

You haven't addressed the point. The land was no more "rightfully" Serb than it was "rightfully" Ottoman. In fact, the Ottomans controlled modern Serbia for centuries longer than the Serbs have controlled it; clearly, Serbia should be annexed to Turkey.

In any case, 1263:

No Serbia.

1355:

Oh, look, Serbia! And it will be conquered three decades later.

You might also want to read about the Serbian Empire, those damned imperial pigs. Also, it lasted for a whole quarter-century before being conquered.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »

Not in the Second Balkan War (Not that there were 'good' sides in that one).
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »

Not in the Second Balkan War (Not that there were 'good' sides in that one).
Though they were certainly on the worse side. They also weren't on the right side in the 1885 war. And it's rather doubtful there was a right side in WW1. And in WW2 they were on the right side only because of a coup.
As for more recent times they were on the right side in the war in Croatia and the Kosovo war.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 03:44:48 PM »

Nope, wrong every time actually. The dream of a Greater Serbia just didn't work out, and now it is the Lesser Serbia, and the poorest country in Europe (well along with Kosovo now I guess).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »

No, of course.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:18 AM »

Nope, wrong every time actually. The dream of a Greater Serbia just didn't work out, and now it is the Lesser Serbia, and the poorest country in Europe (well along with Kosovo now I guess).
So you are saying that the Axis was the right side during WW2?
And Serbia certainly isn't the poorest country in Europe.  Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Moldova, the Transcaucasian republics (if you consider them to be in Europe) are poorer. Even Bulgaria is worse off in most respects.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »

You are right.  Serbia's economy has apparently recovered substantially since I last looked about 3 years ago.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »

Yes, basically.

Fought the Crusaders, fought the Ottomans, fought the 19th/20th Century European imperalist pigs like that trash Franz Ferdinand and the Nazis.

I'd also argue they were on the right side in Kosovo and largely in Croatia (at least, the Republic of Serbian Krajina was the right side in that war against the Croat state.) So that basically leaves only Bosnia were they were in the wrong.

The Crusaders and Franz Ferdinand weren't wrong.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 01:49:30 PM »

Yes, basically.

The Crusaders did things of which even today Western Christians should be ashamed. Franz Ferdinand represented a decrepit state which was one of the main reasons for WW1
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

Yes, basically.

The Crusaders were barbaric invaders.

Hitler described Franz Ferdinand as a "Slav-lover". I'd have agreed with what he was doing.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 02:10:04 PM »

Yes, basically.

The Crusaders did things of which even today Western Christians should be ashamed. Franz Ferdinand represented a decrepit state which was one of the main reasons for WW1

Replying to both you and Xahar. The Crusaders were no different then the invading Muslims of that time period. The Crusaders were simply repelling a foreign invader and reclaiming holy lands and the Muslims wanted to dominate and conquer Europe. As for the second part I support the Austrian empire out of family pride and loyalty.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »

Yes, basically.

Replying to both you and Xahar. The Crusaders were no different then the invading Muslims of that time period. The Crusaders were simply repelling a foreign invader and reclaiming holy lands and the Muslims wanted to dominate and conquer Europe. As for the second part I support the Austrian empire out of family pride and loyalty.
The Crusaders were far worse than the Muslims in terms of atrocities they commited. They also attacked Eastern Orthodox Christians, without provocation because they thought they were heretics. Durings the Crusades Jews were also targeted, as were pagans.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 06:55:46 PM »

I have nothing against Franz Ferdinand himself, and I rather have a high opinion of him.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 04:25:58 AM »

Franz Ferdinand was a (very strong) supporter of the Kaiserreich and a Medievalist in politics, only the obvious need to reform the Habsburg Monarchy to make it a sustainable state and to weaken the influence of the Hungarians did Franz adopt reforming measures. How workable they were we will never know.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 07:20:44 AM »

Franz Ferdinand was a (very strong) supporter of the Kaiserreich and a Medievalist in politics, only the obvious need to reform the Habsburg Monarchy to make it a sustainable state and to weaken the influence of the Hungarians did Franz adopt reforming measures. How workable they were we will never know.

I know, pretty sad that we'll never know. Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies