Suffolk NY GOP Legis switches to Independence Party due to national GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:59:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Suffolk NY GOP Legis switches to Independence Party due to national GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Suffolk NY GOP Legis switches to Independence Party due to national GOP  (Read 3471 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »

The GOP woes it Suffolk Co NY, where they were once dominant continues.  Republican Suffolk County Legislator Jay Schneiderman is now a member of the Independence Party, he made the switched because of the national GOP and its ties to the religious right.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-popols065753931jul06,0,1868508.column
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »

I'm sure this one had Smash changing the sheets
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »

I'm sure this one had Smash changing the sheets
I live in Nassau....
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »

I'm laughing at the comparison of the Republicans to the Whigs. Although on Long Island it might well be apt.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:40:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure if this happened anywhere in NJ I'd be excited.  This guy seems like the Dems enticed him over, a lot like what happened in Lyndhurst, NJ.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure if this happened anywhere in NJ I'd be excited.  This guy seems like the Dems enticed him over, a lot like what happened in Lyndhurst, NJ.

Well I can't say I'm dissapointed at the GOP's continued implosion on Long Island Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:05:51 AM »

Well I can't say I'm dissapointed at the GOP's continued implosion on Long Island Smiley

The end of one party control=good thing.

On the other hand, the implosion of the majority party to set up a long period of one party rule by the former opposition=not very desireable.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:50:58 AM »

At this rate, the NYGOP may as well disband, with all its members going to the Independence Party. They may encounter more success that way. Wink

On the other hand, the implosion of the majority party to set up a long period of one party rule by the former opposition=not very desireable.

I agree with Bullmoose here. One party control means less legislative accountability (a well-connected politician could force out any primary opposition while not fearing a general election opponent). Just look at Massachusetts, where the legislature said they would ignore a yes vote on the income tax referendum.

On a related note, this is why I generally support a partisan split between the legislature & the Governor's mansion (as we have now in California). It can help keep the legislature in check, as seen in Gov. Schwarzenegger's veto of California's entry into the National Popular Vote compact.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »

It can help keep the legislature in check, as seen in Gov. Schwarzenegger's veto of California's entry into the National Popular Vote compact.

On ridiculous reasoning. But I digress.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure if this happened anywhere in NJ I'd be excited.  This guy seems like the Dems enticed him over, a lot like what happened in Lyndhurst, NJ.

All it just means is that Sheldon Silver controls NY, which means, for all intents and purposes, the citizenry of NY is f***ed beyond belief.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »

There was a time when I cared about local politics...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »

There was a time when I cared about local politics...

I'm assuming that was prior to the state GOP throwing themselves off a cliff by copying the national GOP??
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »

It can help keep the legislature in check, as seen in Gov. Schwarzenegger's veto of California's entry into the National Popular Vote compact.

On ridiculous reasoning. But I digress.

Still, his decision helps keep the world of presidential elections a more interesting place, regardless of his reasoning. I just wish he would have offered that as his reason instead. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies