RNC begins hexagonal attack on Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:30:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  RNC begins hexagonal attack on Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: RNC begins hexagonal attack on Obama  (Read 3917 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
« edited: July 06, 2008, 04:54:58 PM by MarkWarner08 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OMCI_AWxU&eurl

This ad will be backed by a $3 million RNC expenditure. Is it effective, or not? I give it an A- for  effectiveness.

The McCain plan:               
Gas tax holiday
Alternative energy
Conservation
More production

The ad claims Obama opposes nuclear energy, lower gas taxes, new production, and new energy solutions.

Interestingly, the RNC ad twice highlights John McCain's efforts to raise awareness of the "climate crisis." The originator of that phrase is Al Gore.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »

The ad doesn't make sense. First, the ad talks about how awesome McCain is for going against his own party on climate change. Then, the ad attacks Obama for, by voting with his party 97% of the time, essentially doing the same thing. Not only is it pathetic that the Republican National Committee is now advertising against itself, but they are attacking Obama for doing what they are praising McCain for.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »

The ad doesn't make sense. First, the ad talks about how awesome McCain is for going against his own party on climate change. Then, the ad attacks Obama for, by voting with his party 97% of the time, essentially doing the same thing. Not only is it pathetic that the Republican National Committee is now advertising against itself, but they are attacking Obama for doing what they are praising McCain for.
Yes, the content is quite suspect. When has Obama opposed "new solutions"?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

The people they are trying to get votes from will not realize it.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »

It tries to fit too much into 32 second ad. It won't sway many people.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 05:16:45 PM »

What are the six sides of this alleged "hexagonal?"
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 05:28:26 PM by MarkWarner08 »

What are the six sides of this alleged "hexagonal?"
I inserted the suffix "al"  to use the word "hexagon" as an adjective.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 05:33:32 PM by Torie »

Well, unless stripped down to a mere hex, it still has six sides, whatever the merits of the grammar thing.  What  are the constituents of the "sextant?"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »

The problem with attacking Obama on a liberal issue like this is the people likely to be persuaded aren't going to vote for a Republican. McCain isn't going to make massive inroads among environmentalists.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »

BEAUTIFUL AD! I want that ad to air in all 50 states every five minutes for the next 4 months.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 09:47:01 PM »

BEAUTIFUL AD! I want that ad to air in all 50 states every five minutes for the next 4 months.

Too bad your hero and the GOP doesn't have the money for that and Obama's going to spend your fascist ass into the ground.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »

Why do you like this ad? Do you realize that Obama has never opposed "new solutions" tour energy problems.  Even Hillary couldn't find one economist to support the gas tax idea.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »

The problem with attacking Obama on a liberal issue like this is the people likely to be persuaded aren't going to vote for a Republican. McCain isn't going to make massive inroads among environmentalists.

I think it is more directed to folks who are scared sh**tless about their gas prices. I suspect this issue will become dominate. A large host of swing voters are deeply affected by this price change in their basket of goods. Heck, it shocks me when a tank of gas costs me close to a hundred bucks. I wonder how others cope.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »

I think it is more directed to folks who are scared sh**tless about their gas prices. I suspect this issue will become dominate. A large host of swing voters are deeply affected by this price change in their basket of goods. Heck, it shocks me when a tank of gas costs me close to a hundred bucks. I wonder how others cope.
So we should all support McCain's reprehensible gas holiday plan (Torie, that creates a HUGE externality costs in lost jobs and work on our crumbling roads) or his ineffectual offshore drilling plans instead? Why won't he support legislation to crack down on the speculation that drove up oil prices in the first place?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

Why do you like this ad? Do you realize that Obama has never opposed "new solutions" tour energy problems.  Even Hillary couldn't find one economist to support the gas tax idea.

This is why democrats lose elections. People in Ohio and Missouri and Florida don't wanna hear "blah blah blah". They want simple 30 seconds...to the point.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »

This is why democrats lose elections. People in Ohio and Missouri and Florida don't wanna hear "blah blah blah". They want simple 30 seconds...to the point.
Naso, this ad tries to do too many things in a short span. First, it give McCain credit for chastising the folks in his party who don't believe in the "climate crisis." Then, it lauds McCain's unsound policy solutions that won't solve anything. After that,  it portrays Obama as Senator No. The final frame of the ad says Obama voted the party-line 97% of the time. The ad never explains why that is bad or how that affected energy policy.

Only a genius could comprehend the message -- unfortunately for the RNC, a genius would be smart enough to reject the obtuse gas tax holiday idea.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 10:09:58 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 10:11:45 PM by Torie »

So we should all support McCain's reprehensible gas holiday plan (Torie, that creates a HUGE externality costs in lost jobs and work on our crumbling roads) or his ineffectual offshore drilling plans instead? Why won't he support legislation to crack down on the speculation that drove up oil prices in the first place?

The speculation thing is BS. Would that that be true, but it isn't. The gas tax holiday is ludicrous. Offshore drilling, on onshore drilling, and nuke plants, and more fuel efficient cars, and shale exploitation, and ending the ethanol scam, and so much more, is part of the solution. Energy is going to remain very expensive, vis a vis the past - forever.  And the standard of living for the young will be degraded over time, no matter what. Suck it up. Deal with it. We Boomers had it just so good. It was and is a grand ride. Generations to follow will not have it so good, at least for awhile. Sad, but real.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »

So what you are saying is that Republicans win elections by appealing to the lowest common denominator?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »

The speculation thing is BS. Would that that be true, but it isn't. The gas tax holiday is ludicrous. Offshore drilling, on onshore drilling, and nuke plants, and more fuel efficient cars, and shale exploitation, and ending the ethanol scam, and so much more, is part of the solution. Energy is going to remain very expensive, vis a vis the past - forever.  And the standard of living for the young will be degraded over time, no matter what. Suck it up. Deal with it. We Boomers had it just so good. It was and is a grand ride.
Bravo, Torie! Plaudits for saying would few will admit. The days of cheap fossil fuel driving every increasing standards of living the developed world are numbered. I'm especially pleased that we agree on ethanol; Obama's support of more federal subsides for corn-based ethanol really frightens me.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

The speculation thing is BS. Would that that be true, but it isn't. The gas tax holiday is ludicrous. Offshore drilling, on onshore drilling, and nuke plants, and more fuel efficient cars, and shale exploitation, and ending the ethanol scam, and so much more, is part of the solution. Energy is going to remain very expensive, vis a vis the past - forever.  And the standard of living for the young will be degraded over time, no matter what. Suck it up. Deal with it. We Boomers had it just so good. It was and is a grand ride. Generations to follow will not have it so good, at least for awhile. Sad, but real.

It's just too bad that what you said in your post is true.  It's okay... we'll just save money by having a 25 year "Social Security Holiday" beginning in 2012.. and once you get to the raisin ranch, we'll only change your diaper once a day to save money.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 10:22:21 PM »

The trick of my generation, is to be a lot richer than most of my peers. I am quite serious. It is going to get very rough for seniors (American, and even more so, European), when the cheap labor in China and India disappears, and China becomes a geriatric ward. At that point, the ratio of producers to geezers is going to get very ugly, planet wide. In about 10-15 years, maybe 20 years, there is going to be a real crisis. Even the Hispanics have stopped breeding. Look up the fertility rates in Mexico, Brazil et al.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »

Great ad and he uses "bi-partisan" in it.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »

Pretty good ad but it won't do anything for McCain
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »

Too bad your hero and the GOP doesn't have the money for that and Obama's going to spend your fascist ass into the ground.

McCain$+RNC$ > Obama$+DNC$

Sorry.

Doubtful after June comes in
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 03:57:32 AM »

The trick of my generation, is to be a lot richer than most of my peers. I am quite serious. It is going to get very rough for seniors (American, and even more so, European), when the cheap labor in China and India disappears, and China becomes a geriatric ward. At that point, the ratio of producers to geezers is going to get very ugly, planet wide. In about 10-15 years, maybe 20 years, there is going to be a real crisis. Even the Hispanics have stopped breeding. Look up the fertility rates in Mexico, Brazil et al.

To a large extent I agree with you - certainly the lack of births is a big problem, though slightly less severe than the lack of transport fuel.  Here in Thailand the last large generation is currently around 20-25.  The ensuing ones are much smaller relatively.. I always tell my friends THAT's what'll kill the fun, more than anti-sex governments.

However I think it will be easy enough to simply improve the productivity of these smaller generations.  After all the productivity of american workers has been shooting up 2-3% per annum for 25 years, though they have seen absolutely none of the gain.  Simply redirecting some of these gains to elderlies rather than 100% to the owning class would solve the problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies