Rate the Zel Miller Speech!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:12:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rate the Zel Miller Speech!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rate the Zel Miller Speech!  (Read 2666 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2004, 09:45:04 PM »

its your choose.......... Smiley Wink
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:48:02 PM »

I didn't see it, just heard some of the thing he had to say, and he just sounds like a bitter old turd.  "Things isn't like back in my day!" please....he sounds like my frickin grandfather.  
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 09:50:31 PM »

Trying to stay away from partisanship I give it a B.  At least his attacks on Kerry were factual unlike Rudy.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 09:58:10 PM »

A+ all the way!
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 10:01:34 PM »

A+, that was very good. I agree with everything he said and I don't blame him for being frustrated with a party that wants to think 9/11 never happened and with a candidate who has proven he is astoundingly weak on defense and foreign policy. He conveyed the frustration wonderfully and with firm tact.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 10:10:59 PM »

I vote a B.  A little too much praise God and pass the ammunition.  I like it but....
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 10:24:42 PM »

it was a good speech.

he seemed rushed.  he didnt break enough for applause.

he appeared too angry and too grumpy.

it was red meat for the partisans.  most normal people were probably watching something entertaining on tv.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 10:37:47 PM »

I gave him a B. Good and concise, but there were a few things he could have thrown in there to strengthen his points. Some anger is OK, but he should have mixed it up more (like Guiliani).

This is important more for two reasons:

1) This race has to be Bush v Kerry, not Bush v no Bush.

2) Kerry is going to be mercilessly attacked on his Senate record. This was the first major strike after months of steady bombardment, and soon that will become a focal point of the campaign.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »

A-, but one of the best speeches so far.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 12:09:01 AM »

I give it an F.

Still it's the best speech I've seen so far at this convention.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 12:11:23 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2004, 12:11:38 AM by Gov. NickG »

I also give it an F. Miller's attacks will definitely turn mainstream Republicans like me away from George Bush and his dirty campaign.   I'm glad Miller never switched to the Republicans...I would be embarassed to have him in my party.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 12:16:43 AM »

C-

I think the speeches that the Republicans do the best in are positive sunshine speeches, not bitter attacks.  I also find a lot of Miller's complaints loaded with hypocrisy, but that's another issue.
raggage

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 06:14:32 AM »

Too much Kerry bashing. Otherwise an alright speech C+.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 07:11:16 AM »

The speech was powerful and very well delivered.  I can find plenty of fault with its content though.

B+

Dave
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 07:27:12 AM »

On delivery it was excellent.  He had lots of fire and energy.

On content, it was ridiculous.  He was way off on many points (for example, he criticized Kerry for refering to Iraq as an "occupation" but meanwhile Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld have all used the same term repeatedly).  In his post-speech interview on CNN (after Cheney's speech), when they questioned him he floundered and looked like not only an idiot but a nutcase as well.  Then he went on MSNBC and threatened Chris Matthews.

So ... while Zell is good at delivering firery orations, he's also a complete nutcase.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 08:13:54 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2004, 08:17:14 AM by LucysBeau »

Thoughts on Zell's speech:

Zell's speech was an attempt to blow sunshine, frankly, where the sun don't shine.

It was a disgrace that he seemed to refer to the great presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S Truman to justify his support for George W Bush.

Well Zell, unlike GWB, neither FDR nor HST neglected domestic issues to the extent that your chosen one has.

In America, FDR's 'New Deal' made a difference in the lives of millions of American. It was both progressive and visionary, and, arguably, the greatest single achievement in US domestic policy of the last century.

Both FDR and HST were internationally acclaimed statesmen at a time when America commanded respect.

In Europe, the Marshall Plan made a difference to the lives of millions of Europeans. It, too, was both visionary and progressive, and, arguably, the greatest single achievement in US foreign policy of the last century.

George W Bush is NO Franklin D. Roosevelt or a Harry S. Truman by any stretch, who were great and near great, respectively AND nor will he ever be. And don't get me started on Giuliani likening Bush with Sir Winston Churchill.

Zell's aggressive tone was polarising and frankly, does nothing to acheive his cherised aim for bi-partisanship. This will only lead to a hardening of attitudes at a time when a consensus is much needed in the 'War against Terror'.

Dave
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 08:19:18 AM »

I also give it an F. Miller's attacks will definitely turn mainstream Republicans like me away from George Bush and his dirty campaign.   I'm glad Miller never switched to the Republicans...I would be embarassed to have him in my party.

Your post is one of the funniest ones I have seen one the forum in months.

You, a 'Republican'?!?!

ROTFLMAO
nomorelies

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 10:16:06 AM »

Miller made Kerry a plausible alternative to women.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2004, 10:21:51 AM »

If you want to explain Zell Miller's speech to someone who missed it, these Democrat posts will tell them nothing.

But if you tell that person they're Democrat posts, they'll explain everything.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 10:22:52 AM »

I gave the speech a B+.  I really thought he looked rushed and flustered. Not a very polished performance overall. However, I think it was outstanding otherwise. Zell Miller delivered exactly what was expected and more. There were some great soundbites.

Kerry and Co. better learn to play or this is going to hurt.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2004, 10:25:29 AM »

A++

I knew what to expect and I was still amazed.  Apparently, in focus groups being conducted during the speech, Kerry's favorability rating went down substansially.

As a side note, the Dems wasted no time attacking him, calling him "egotistical", "a liar", etc.  Notice, however, that the Kerry people did not respond to the charges.  Just as with the Swift Boat Vets, Kerry neglects to do the obvious thing, which is defend himself, and instead, attacks those leveling the charges.  Why doesn't Kerry defend himself?  Is it possibly because he can't?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 10:27:10 AM »

he seemed rushed.  he didnt break enough for applause.

Because, he was trying to keep the anger up.  He felt it, you could read it all over his face.  It wasn't put on in anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 10:27:41 AM »

As a side note, the Dems wasted no time attacking him, calling him "egotistical", "a liar", etc.  

Ha! Miller is egotistical? Wow that is funny. Last time I checked, he wasn't the one putting out commercials saying how great a war hero he is.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2004, 10:30:14 AM »

A++

I knew what to expect and I was still amazed.  Apparently, in focus groups being conducted during the speech, Kerry's favorability rating went down substansially.

As a side note, the Dems wasted no time attacking him, calling him "egotistical", "a liar", etc.  Notice, however, that the Kerry people did not respond to the charges.  Just as with the Swift Boat Vets, Kerry neglects to do the obvious thing, which is defend himself, and instead, attacks those leveling the charges.  Why doesn't Kerry defend himself?  Is it possibly because he can't?
He does not defend his positions because Clinton proved to all lefties that attacking the others character is far more affective then stand up for bankrupt ideology.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2004, 10:31:19 AM »

A++

Absolutely. It's been said all along that Kerry can't hide from his dismal Senate record.  I loved when Miller pounded, "Against, against, against!" I watched Tad Devine and just laughed.  Kerry is in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies