With the exception of South Africa (for obvious reasons)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:07:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  With the exception of South Africa (for obvious reasons)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: With the exception of South Africa (for obvious reasons)  (Read 4996 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:14:30 PM »

Which African nation held the last truely free and fair elections for president?

This has been prompted by a BBC report saying that when it comes to democracy in Africa, everyone is as guilty as Muagbe.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »

Liberia I think.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2008, 12:33:35 PM by Jas »

Which African nation held the last truely free and fair elections for president?

Mali (April 2007) ?

I'll also suggest:
Mauritania (March 2007)
Senegal (February 2007)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »

Most recent, or most consistently free and fair? The latter award goes to Mauritania and Botswana.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:10:38 PM »

What are the obvious reasons? Presence of white people in significant numbers?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »

Most recent, or most consistently free and fair? The latter award goes to Mauritania and Botswana.

Mauritania is consistently free and fair? They didn't have a fair election until recently and after their previous President was overthrown in a 2005 military coup.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »

Consistently? Botswana.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2008, 02:41:03 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

Mauritania is consistently free and fair? They didn't have a fair election until recently and after their previous President was overthrown in a 2005 military coup.

I think he means Mali, which has had free and fair elections since 1992. Ghana's elections have been free and fair since about 1988 when Jerry Rawlings allowed free elections, although he won the next two elections they were deemed free and fair. Namibia has also had free and fair elections since its independence, in 1990, however they have only been won by one party, SWAPO, the same goes for Botswana, since 1966. Ghana and Mali are the only countries in Africa that have had a peaceful democratic transition between different parties or candidates of different parties. Although I think that if the Botswanan opposition ever got its act together that would probably happen in that country.

Stable, Democratic African nations (off the top of my head):

Mali (since 1992)
Ghana (since 1988)
Mozambique (since 1992)
Botswana (since 1966)
Namibia (since 1990)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2008, 02:48:15 PM by Bono »

You forgot Poland Benin.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »

Knew I forgot something.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2008, 04:43:42 PM by L. Ron Hubbard was a liar and a false prophet »

Sierra Leone just had a peaceful transfer of power between Presidents of different parties last year, and has been stable and democratic ever since the end of the civil war.

Something I find amusing about that country is a former military dictator now lives at home with his mother, unemployed.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »

Cape Verde is also democratic, since 1991. IIRC, it has a perfect score in the freedom thingee rankings (the only African country, last time I checked).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »

Cape Verde is also democratic, since 1991. IIRC, it has a perfect score in the freedom thingee rankings (the only African country, last time I checked).

Add that elections are free and fair, and that the opposition is not a joke party.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

I think he means Mali, which has had free and fair elections since 1992. Ghana's elections have been free and fair since about 1988 when Jerry Rawlings allowed free elections, although he won the next two elections they were deemed free and fair. Namibia has also had free and fair elections since its independence, in 1990, however they have only been won by one party, SWAPO, the same goes for Botswana, since 1966. Ghana and Mali are the only countries in Africa that have had a peaceful democratic transition between different parties or candidates of different parties. Although I think that if the Botswanan opposition ever got its act together that would probably happen in that country.

Stable, Democratic African nations (off the top of my head):

Mali (since 1992)
Ghana (since 1988)
Mozambique (since 1992)
Botswana (since 1966)
Namibia (since 1990)

You're right, I meant Mali. But Botswana is really the stellar example, at least in terms of long-term democracy. It's only ever been ruled by one party, but that's not for lack of democratic principles. Botswana is really quite remarkable: it's one of the poorest countries in Africa, and a third of the country is HIV-positive, yet it's been democratic almost since independence.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »

Botswana is really quite remarkable: it's one of the poorest countries in Africa, and a third of the country is HIV-positive, yet it's been democratic almost since independence.

No Botswana is one of the richest countries in Africa. It is either the richest, it might have passed South Africa, or the second richest country in continental sub-Saharan Africa. You are right that a quarter to a third of its population is HIV positive though.

Of course in 1966, when it achieved independence, Botswana was a very poor country. However it no longer is.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 01:00:23 AM »

It will take a while for Africa to become democratic although if America sets a good example Africa will look more toward democracy than authoritarianism. Look how long it has taken parts of Europe to become democratic. The main problem, especially in E. Europe was the domination of the USSR. Now China is attempting to dominate Africa, but hopefully the domination of superpowers will end in the "third world" (what do we call it now; no label seems to function) and democracy will reign.

Don't forget Seychelles and Mauritius. Supposedly Lesotho is free.

Liberia, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Mauritania, Tanzania, and Zambia are hopeful nations.  However corruption is the big issue in Africa. Corruption is rampant. Notably, Mali has a considerably high corruption rating, but a democratic government. Similar to Italy, but less extreme.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »

Botswana has 1.6 mio inhabitants and crucially, the government owns a 50% share in the diamond mines that make up 70% of its exports (De Beers owns the other share, needless to say). Its currency is tied to the Rand.
Botswana is, in other words, an example that proves nothing.
Oh yeah, except for one point: That Botswana part-owns its diamond mines is due to the mine deposits being discovered, and that deal being struck, very shortly after independence. By contrast, Zambia's mineral wealth that made it Africa's richest country (excluding South Africa) at the time of independence was wholly under foreign control.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »

Morocco's not bad.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »

Elections seem free, but it's far from a democracy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »

Correction: Counting is fair. "Free elections" entails a wee bit more than that.
Not that it matters. The election law is framed so as to make majorities for any party as impossible as it can, and most real power rests with the monarchy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies