What mainly caused the Civil War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:20:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What mainly caused the Civil War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: What mainly caused the Civil War?
Slavery

State's Rights

Tarrifs

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: What mainly caused the Civil War?  (Read 30648 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

This is in response towards DWTL saying that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, when its main cause dealed with the divisions slavery caused in our country and this led to the South crying out about "state's rights".
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:29:32 PM »

Slavery, without it there wouldn't have been anything big enough to cause a civil war though "state's rights".
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »

Slavery, without it there wouldn't have been anything big enough to cause a civil war though "state's rights".
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:33:12 PM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »

The Civil War had many causes... but one catalyst.

Due to the bloody-minded attitude of the Sthn states - they did without the technological advancements that made the North so much economically stronger. They found themselves in a situation where they had nothing but cotton, and could not survive without slavery.

There's a great saying about the Confederacy and State's rights... "died of a theory".
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:32 PM »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »

Slavery itself was not the cause.  Three slave states, acting solely through their legislatures and without coercion by troops,  did not secede; the fourth, TN, arguably had an element of force.  In all, slavery had limited, not by law, but by economic factors.

What caused the Civil War was the failure of the second and third generation of American politicians to deal with the issue, permanently.  I'd really say the leadership between 1825 and 1861 John Quincy Adams to James Buchanan, along with the Congressional leadership were at fault.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:33:46 AM »

I am so far the lone vote for State's Rights, but just to clarify, I thought it was referring to the Atlas poster.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:02 AM »

Anyone who thinks that slavery was the majority cause is brainwashed.  As J.J. points out, slavery was quite popular in many areas that didn't secede, and it was not hugely popular in some places that did (North Carolina being a prime example).  Add to that the fact that 3 out of the 4 most important states in the Confederate war effort (Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina) didn't secede until after Lincoln called for troops.

Was slavery a cause?  Sure.  Was it the cause?  No.  Slavery was just one issue out of many that contributed to the animosity between North and South that had existed since 1775.  Of course, PC history, enforced by the Ivory Tower in the Northeast, tells us that slavery was basically the only cause and it was good vs evil, etc, etc.  Usually, anytime history is taught that way, it should cause you to raise an eyebrow.  Almost nothing is that simple.  The war became about slavery, but only after the fact.  As Grant himself said, "If I thought this war was about freeing the slaves, I would resign my commission right now." 

Were some people fighting for that?  Sure.  But don't forget, the South was willing to sacrafice slavery, in the end, to gain Independence.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 03:56:16 AM »

The Civil War had many causes... but one catalyst.

Due to the bloody-minded attitude of the Sthn states - they did without the technological advancements that made the North so much economically stronger. They found themselves in a situation where they had nothing but cotton, and could not survive without slavery.

There's a great saying about the Confederacy and State's rights... "died of a theory".

Actually, tax revenues from the south were much higher then the north. The south was paying the largest majority of the federal tax bill and getting very little in return. The idea that slavery solely revolved around the south is fiction and the proponents of that lie are those who want to sell Yankee propaganda. Northerners, especially Mass. and NY, were raking in huge amounts of profits from slave trading, etc. The belief that abolition was popular in the Northeast is complete bunk and the only ones who even teach that are the liars in the public screwl system.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 04:58:19 AM »

Other: All of the Above

All of those options contributed to the American Civil War, though slavery wouldn't be considered that of a great cause of the War, only a minor, minor cause compared to those other options. President Lincoln didn't bring slavery into the War until he announced the Emancipation Declaration in 1862 (I think) and since 1862 people have come to believe that the War was fought due to slavery.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »

Capitalist greed and jealousy of southern agrarianism.  There's a reason we call it "The War of Northern Aggression."
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:08:32 AM »

Why would we be jealous of your slave system?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »

Slavery in the context of state's rights was the primary reason for the Southern secession, but there were certainly other factors that contributed to it.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:16:44 AM »

Northern industry wanted to capitalize it in order to dominate the southern economy for their own interest.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »

I am now convinced that EMD is more clueless than Gporter or Benconstine, to think slavery was the main cause of the Civil War is incredibly naive.  It may have been a rallying cry, but the only reason it became a major issue was later to keep Great Britain out of the war.  It does not take a scholar to tell you that the Brits were close to supporting the South but the North making it a moral crusade against slavery prevented it.

EMD, this thread only makes you look more ill-informed, go start a band or something and leave debate to the grown-up table
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

slavery was certainly the cause of the spat.

but any good war needs propaganda.

imagine youre a peckerwood yeoman southern farmer. a planter comes to you and says,'you know i really like haviing my slaves. i enjoy free labor.  id like to keep my slaves. so id like for you to go off to war so i can keep them."

what would have been the response? most likely f' you.

imagine you are a young man in boston.  someone comes and tells you, 'id really like you to fight in a bitch of a war because there are some negros in bondage down south'

again,  not likely to get an enthusiastic response.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »

slavery was certainly the cause of the spat.

but any good war needs propaganda.

imagine youre a peckerwood yeoman southern farmer. a planter comes to you and says,'you know i really like haviing my slaves. i enjoy free labor.  id like to keep my slaves. so id like for you to go off to war so i can keep them."

what would have been the response? most likely f' you.

imagine you are a young man in boston.  someone comes and tells you, 'id really like you to fight in a bitch of a war because there are some negros in bondage down south'

again,  not likely to get an enthusiastic response.
Yeah of course, I do not want to dishonor southerners who were obiously not fighting because they hated black men but because they had a sense of patriotism for their state and their family and of course most northerners fought against the south because they were traitors or even because they needed something to do.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »

I am now convinced that EMD is more clueless than Gporter or Benconstine, to think slavery was the main cause of the Civil War is incredibly naive.  It may have been a rallying cry, but the only reason it became a major issue was later to keep Great Britain out of the war.  It does not take a scholar to tell you that the Brits were close to supporting the South but the North making it a moral crusade against slavery prevented it.

EMD, this thread only makes you look more ill-informed, go start a band or something and leave debate to the grown-up table
Christ you are stupid. Almost everyone on Atlas said that was its main cause and yet you pick on me. Shut up, you are now on ignore.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »

Slavery, primary issue, followed by racism;  all presented in a sloppy, intellectually dishonest facade of "states' rights".

Why else would Southern Democrats and the Copperheads wage propoganda campaigns that claimed Abe Lincoln was half-negro?

CSA = Evil.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »

Preston is somewhat close to the truth.

Northern politicians wanted to reduce the south to a vassal area.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »

Northern industry wanted to capitalize it in order to dominate the southern economy for their own interest.
Capitalism > slavery
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:21 AM »

Alas, how many people are historically ignorant.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 01:26:39 AM »

Alas, how many people are historically ignorant.
Yes, there's people who ignore the fact that the presence of slavery caused many of the other differences people cite for the ACW.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »

Christ you are stupid. Almost everyone on Atlas said that was its main cause and yet you pick on me. Shut up, you are now on ignore.
LOL you had a few people agree that slavery may have been a main cause, certainly no one but you had that blind opinion that slavery was the only cause.  And while slavery may have caused secession, Ft. Sumter was the catalyst for the actual war.  Thank you for putting me on ignore and leaving the grown-up table, enjoy your chicken fingers and freedom fries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies