were your great grandparents educated? (formally)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:17:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  were your great grandparents educated? (formally)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: were your great grandparents educated? (formally)  (Read 2953 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »

no.  not a single one of mine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »

I don't think any of them went to college, but all were very literate. One was an engineer, working in Norfolk for the Confederacy machining munitions until he got bagged as a POW. My dad's mother was this simple women who I guess did high school in Brooklyn, but her prose and poetry was really very good, excellent in fact. Almost nobody went to college in the 19th century, but a lot of folks, particularly in the Yankee cohort were very educated and literate. My grandmother in the early 20th century taught Latin as a school teacher before she got married. She went to a college in Iowa, where she met her husband, sometime around 1908 maybe. My Dad never went to college. He was one of the most educated and literate men I have ever known.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:54:46 PM »

The maternal side was very well off for someone in China. The grandfather grew up in a wealthy tradesmen household with many servants and where girls had their feet bound. Then their land was seized by the Communists. The grandmother was somehow able to go to a boarding school run by the Anglican Church of Canada.

My paternal side were all rural peasants.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »

all of my great grandfathers went to college
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:32:56 AM »

Nope.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 12:41:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure my great-grandfathers got some, dunno about my great-grandmothers.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:48:57 AM »

Grandmother on mom's side went to college.  Her family and her eventual husband's family were farming class - owned substantial farms.  I think he went to a sort of 'business college' for two years. 

Dad's side did own small farms but very small ones, but were very working class and could not afford education.  Oddly enough however it was dad's family's smaller peices of land which happened to be in the path of development and eventually led to the beginnings of his (small) fortune.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »

I think the best was my german great-grandmother -she came from a comfortable jewish family, and was considered highly educated for her time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »

8 years of Volksschule. After that, teacher-training college for my father's grandfathers (and one grandmother too, though she stopped working when she got married), apprenticeships as a scribe (those were the days when typing machines existed but weren't being mass-produced yet. Grin ) and as a printer for my mom's grandfathers, and presumably nothing much of anything for the remaining women, at least one of whom would have headed straight into domestic service.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »

I don't think any of mine were, no.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »

I am not sure if maternal grandfather could read either English or French.

My paternal grandfather graduated from high school, I think as did my maternal grandmother.

My paternal grandmother had a "teaching certificate," which indicated at the time that she had completed HS and was certified as being a "good enough" student to teach in the public schools in the early 1900's.

None had a college degree.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 02:51:40 PM »

No, I don't believe any of them were.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

My paternal grandmother went to Nipissing University after she retired. I don't think any of my other grandparents attended university.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 12:43:04 PM »

They all graduated high school.. I know some had apprenticeships, but I don't think any of them went to university.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 01:18:12 AM »

Oh you said Great grandparents!  Christ who knows, so long ago.  I guess they were taught how to plow and evaluate livestock.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:35:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure my great-grandfathers got some, dunno about my great-grandmothers.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I would say no for great-grandmothers.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 06:40:56 AM »

On my father's side, probably the tiny bit which I believe was mandatory for all children at the time in Sweden. They were peasants so not really educated. On my maternal grandmother's side, probably to some extent since they were Jewish...though they were also painters so they probably were bohemian rebels. Wink

On my maternal grandfather's side I'm pretty sure there was education, given that he was from the Swedish upper class. He didn't work in an academic field though, I think.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:21:42 AM »

They all graduated high school.. I know some had apprenticeships, but I don't think any of them went to university.

To follow up, all of my maternal great grandparents graduated high school.  Only my great-grandfathers on my dad's side of the family graduated high school.  My great grandmothers both went through the 8th grade.

In my area, the city schools weren't unlike the schools today in the way they were set up.  The elementary schools (of which there were 2 or 3) were 1st-6th grade and the high school was 7th-12th.  Most of the country schools surrounding my city were 1st-8th grade, and then students had to either take a bus into town for high school or many that lived far out in the country would live in boarding houses in town to go to high school.

By the time my grandparents were in school, nearly all kids went through high school, though I think some farm kids only went through the 8th grade when my great grandparents were going to school.

Education was always important in this area as it was full of relatively new Scandinavian immigrants that left oppression in Europe... so the idea of educating their children was a very exciting concept.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:39:32 AM »

Not even grammar school?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »

One of my great-grandmothers actually had a doctorate (in music). I'm pretty sure all of my great-grandfathers went to college, and I think one of my other great-grandmothers went to college, too, in addition to the one with a doctorate. Of the remaining two great-grandmothers, one had a homeschooled education (wealthy Southern aristocrat) and the other went to school through high school (parents were Swedish immigrants).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »

Three of them had high school.  As for the rest, they got as much as ilikeverin.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »

Maternal grandfather: NYU before the war, Columbia after
Maternal grandmother: Hunter College (free college in NY)
Paternal grandfather: only made it to the 9th grade in a poor coal mining town in SW PA
Paternal grandmother: Graduated high school, not sure which one, but lived in Braddock, PA
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »

pics please
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

The basics and that's it as far as I know. Most probably learned more in Sunday School.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »

Not that I'm aware of. My ggrandfather on my fathers side was a master carpenter however.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies