What do you think of this community?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:12:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What do you think of this community?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you think of this community?  (Read 1125 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:51:18 AM »

It's a village in central China that decided not to go capitalist in the 1980s and is still run on real communist lines. Ironically it survives by selling goods to the outside world.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rStFovpAY54
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:36:55 AM »

Well, you see some of how perfect it is on paper, but then the corruption starts playing a role and the commune is doomed to fail.

It just isn't human nature to have this kind of thing be successful, because if it was, the whole world would be one big commune and everyone would skip along the streets happy, but it doesn't work that way.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »

Well, you see some of how perfect it is on paper, but then the corruption starts playing a role and the commune is doomed to fail.

It just isn't human nature to have this kind of thing be successful, because if it was, the whole world would be one big commune and everyone would skip along the streets happy, but it doesn't work that way.

Agreed.  I think the best way to do something is along the lines of a cooperative in a capitalist society... or employee owned businesses, where you, as a worker, have a direct say in what goes on in the business.

This helps to week out corruption, because you still have market forces in the background that tend to stifle corruption if there is healthy competition.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »

I like the idea of collective businesses owned by workers, who then elect management and such. I actually have a bunch of ideas regarding this but a whole village being run collectivley seems very stupid to me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »

I like the idea of collective businesses owned by workers, who then elect management and such. I actually have a bunch of ideas regarding this but a whole village being run collectivley seems very stupid to me.

Yes, there's definitely merits to co-ops and whatnot, but the larger the number of people you get involved the more problems you're going to have. A very tiny village with maybe a hundred people could run collectively without too many problems if they go for a self-sufficient agricultural model and sacrifice many modern day technologies, but the one shown here looks like it has a few thousand people and requires many of those technologies to keep running.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies