AK: Rasmussen: Obama within 4 points of McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:05:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  AK: Rasmussen: Obama within 4 points of McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AK: Rasmussen: Obama within 4 points of McCain  (Read 4120 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:31:56 AM »

New Poll: Alaska President by Rasmussen on 2008-06-22

Summary: D: 41%, R: 45%, U: 7%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

doesn't bode all too well for Begich (is that the name of the guy who's running against Stevens?) as he's barely running ahead of Obama in the same poll.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:47:08 AM »

Isn't Maine supposed to be out too?
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »

Might be worth it  for Obama to show a little bit of effort in Alaska.  WHen I lived there, everyone would freak out if anyone paid us any attention whatsoever, be it Metallica or the Pope.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »

Might be worth it  for Obama to show a little bit of effort in Alaska.  WHen I lived there, everyone would freak out if anyone paid us any attention whatsoever, be it Metallica or the Pope.

How much could advertising possibly cost here too. Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau are the only real media markets. 100 Grand in TV and radio, maybe a VP visit in the late summer. At least make McCain work for it.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »

I would LOVE to win Alaska for some reason. 
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »

Whats also good about AK, is that most of the population is in the Anchorage.  Like I said earlier, it's not worth it to really target the state, but just a minimal showing I think would do a lot to get people excited.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »

Smiley
kevinatcausa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

What's also good about Alaska is that it has a Senate race that seems to be  a near tossup. 

I don't think the state will be competitive in the Presidential race, but if Obama can manage to increase turnout it could make the difference in the Senate race.   
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »

Obama should spend money in Alaska. Alaska being called for Obama at 3 in the morning would be the best thing ever.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »

hey it'd worth worth staying up for one more drink eh?
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 04:08:36 PM »

Obama should spend money in Alaska. Alaska being called for Obama at 3 in the morning would be the best thing ever.

The best thing ever would be the pundits projecting the election as a 269-269 tie, with Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico, and New Hampshire flipping, then all of a sudden Alaska comes in for Obama and he wins the election 272-266. Cheesy
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »

I have always thought that Alaska really is more moderate than it shows. Perhaps as oil declines in importance Alaska will begin to look more like its Pacific peers.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »

Please correct the data.  The 7% is "Other" NOT unsure or undecided..  There is also 6% "Not sure."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »

Please correct the data.  The 7% is "Other" NOT unsure or undecided..  There is also 6% "Not sure."

He entered it correctly.  The "U" is for "undecided."  If you click on the polling link, it shows 7% Other, 7% Undecided.  The latter is rounded up from 6% by Dave's software so that everything adds to 100%.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

He entered it correctly.  The "U" is for "undecided."  If you click on the polling link, it shows 7% Other, 7% Undecided.  The latter is rounded up from 6% by Dave's software so that everything adds to 100%.

Typical Alcon.

The figures I quoted are correct, and you are incorrect.

I realize that lefties like you have difficulty comprehending the difference between "Not sure" (the definition used by Rasmussen) and "Other" (the definition used by Rasmussen for candidates other than the Democrat or Republican).

Now, a little simple math:

D     41
R     45
O       7
N       6
T     99

Oh, and what you are implying is that its both acceptable to leave out the "other" vote as well as both round up and change the definition of the "not sure" vote vote to "Undecided."

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2008, 07:09:13 PM by Alcon »

No, CARL.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  When we enter a poll into Dave's database, it automatically creates these topics.  Tender did not write the post himself; a computer did.

Tender entered the poll as:

Democrat: 41%
Republican: 45%
Other: 7%
Undecided: 6%

Do you dispute that this conforms with Rasmussen's findings?

Dave's software noticed that this adds up to 99%, and thus tacked on another 1% to undecided. If you click the link, you'll see it displays as:

Undecided: 7% (with the other tacked on to round to 100%)

The "other" votes are included in the link I gave you to the poll database.  The software that adds polls as posts to the Forum does not show "Other" in the auto-generated forum post.  However, it is included in the poll entry -- again, that's the link I gave you.

As far as I know, "undecided" is not a poll option, but a volunteered (vol.) response, so distinguishing between "undecided" and "not sure" is pointless, especially since Dave's software does not allow for that.

But, really, you wouldn't know all of this, since you devote your time to inaccurately complaining instead of entering polls.  Smiley
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »

I have always thought that Alaska really is more moderate than it shows. Perhaps as oil declines in importance Alaska will begin to look more like its Pacific peers.
I don't think it has to do with oil, Anchorage also has a lot of suburbs that cancel out the liberalness of the city.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »

Obama's popularity in this ultra Republican state is.. freakish to say the least.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »

It's like when Obama went to Grand Forks, North Dakota.. people were blown away by the fact that a presidential contender was coming to their little state that everybody forgot about.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »

Anchorage doesn't have many suburbs at all.  The city itself is kind of one huge suburb.  Annexation has made it a geographically enormous city, in any other city where I lived would have been a suburb, but there was still part of the city.  Anchorage is not really liberal, trust me, Begich had some skill to get in and faced horrible opposition.  He's really the first Democrat to have nay success in the city for a long time. For his re-election campaign he even got to be the no new taxes candidate, because his Republican opponent wanted to create a sales tax to eventually replace property taxes, but the message didn't get through and everyone hated him anyway for being the voice of every freakin' annoying commercial in Anchorage.  So it was Begich vs the "seafood commercial guy" who wants a sales tax. 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

No, CARL.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  When we enter a poll into Dave's database, it automatically creates these topics.  Tender did not write the post himself; a computer did.

Tender entered the poll as:

Undecided: 6%

Do you dispute that this conforms with Rasmussen's findings?

Dave's software noticed that this adds up to 99%, and thus tacked on another 1% to undecided. If you click the link, you'll see it displays as:

Undecided: 7% (with the other tacked on to round to 100%)

The "other" votes are included in the link I gave you to the poll database.  The software that adds polls as posts to the Forum does not show "Other" in the auto-generated forum post.  However, it is included in the poll entry -- again, that's the link I gave you.

As far as I know, "undecided" is not a poll option, but a volunteered (vol.) response, so distinguishing between "undecided" and "not sure" is pointless, especially since Dave's software does not allow for that.

But, really, you wouldn't know all of this, since you devote your time to inaccurately complaining instead of entering polls.  Smiley

So, you are contending that Dave's sofware automatically eliminates support for candidates other than Democrats and Republicans?

If so, then the software, in addition to rounding, excludes relevant information.

Yeah, excluding information, changing definitions, rounding numbers, etc. is the way Alcon likes things.

For Alcon, its better than being accurate.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:30:30 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2008, 09:35:12 PM by Alcon »

So, you are contending that Dave's sofware automatically eliminates support for candidates other than Democrats and Republicans?

If so, then the software, in addition to rounding, excludes relevant information.

No, "Other" is there in the poll database entry (are you incapable of clicking links?)  The software has options for:

Democrat
Republican
Other
Undecided

If those don't add up to 100, Dave's software (for whatever reason) rounds up by adding to Undecided.  The "Other" option is there in the poll database, but isn't reflected in the automatically-generated post.

Here's a simple way of calculating it:

100-Democrats-Republicans-Undecideds

...or, alternatively, clicking the database entry link I provided (and the original post did too).  Or, alternatively, you could click the link to the poll itself.

This is the third time I've had to explain to you what anyone could see by clicking the link I provided.  I thought I was supposed to be the slow one.

Yeah, excluding information, changing definitions, rounding numbers, etc. is the way Alcon likes things.

For Alcon, its better than being accurate.

You're the only one who could turn not understanding Dave's poll entry system to an attack on me.  Kudos.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »

Here's the exact posting.

Now, when you check the link you find that the data is a little different.

In the posting, there is NO mention whatsoever of "Other" support (even though it exceeds the "Not sure/Unsure" level in the poll), but the "Not sure/Unsure" is shown, abeit rounded up!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »

I love how everyone in here is fantasizing about the moment when Obama is declared the winner in Alaska. "I guess I could stay up to see them call it for Obama at 3 am!!!!"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies