Gay marriage comes to California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:30:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage comes to California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay marriage comes to California  (Read 1450 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:55:48 PM »

It started at 5pm Pacific Time in a few counties.

Marrying after 55 years together:
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »

Smiley
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »

I am very happy to see this.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2008, 09:57:20 PM by Reluctant Republican »

How many straight marriages have fallen apart so far because of this?

All kidding aside though, great news. And nice to see people as committed as those women finally being able to take that final step in commitment in there relationship. But I'm a hopeless romantic, as I've said before.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »

Excellent.  We need them in Mississippi too though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »

Harry, when this happens, you'll be as old as the couple above. Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:27:42 PM »

Here comes the neighborhood. Smiley
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »

So what will be the next states to legalize gay marriage? Vermont? Rhode Island? Washington?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »

Harry, when this happens, you'll be as old as the couple above. Wink

Probably true, though I'm sure 50 years ago people would have said the same thing about civil rights for blacks in Mississippi.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:41:20 AM »

So what will be the next states to legalize gay marriage? Vermont? Rhode Island? Washington?

I doubt it'll be here, we just passed a compromise in the Legislature. My suspicion is that it's going to be another case of a court ordering it, and who knows where that'll come from. There's yet to be a case of the Legislature of a state doing it.

Random question I've been wondering for a while to those smarter than me on these matters: Can a portion of a state constitution be overturned by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »

Random question I've been wondering for a while to those smarter than me on these matters: Can a portion of a state constitution be overturned by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional?

Yes, provided it violates the federal Constitution, either explicitly or is in violation of a federal law where the Constitution grants the federal government supreme authority on the matter. (in the latter case you could enhance such a federal law at a state level, but you couldn't make a law that is contrary to it)

This would mean that an amendment to the federal constitution that legalizes same-sex marriages would overturn all state constitutional amendments that ban it, or alternatively one that bans it would overturn rulings regarding their own constitutions that end up legalizing it.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »

Wonderful news.  I wish them all the best of luck.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »

This really doesn't bother me a bit......but it's a divisive issue in general, and it's "game on" for those who want to turn this into a fight.

My opinion is - if no one else is being hurt by it - let it be done.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »

Now it's come to every county. The first gay marriage at the Contra Costa clerk's office was the clerk's.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:45:04 AM »

Some of you guys are way too attached to your ideology.  The picture above is SICK and looks like something you would see in the Pyramids.  Barf.  It's a good thing that gays don't reproduce.

Good Christ, you are a fracking idiot.  Like most of your posts, I can't quite make heads or tales of the above, other than a bunch of regurgitated, right-wing, lunatic radio talking points.  Also, gays don't need to reproduce--we are made through good, old-fashioned, heterosexual intercourse.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:12 AM »

Some of you guys are way too attached to your ideology.  The picture above is SICK and looks like something you would see in the Pyramids.  Barf.  It's a good thing that gays don't reproduce.

Good Christ, you are a fracking idiot.  Like most of your posts, I can't quite make heads or tales of the above, other than a bunch of regurgitated, right-wing, lunatic radio talking points.  Also, gays don't need to reproduce--we are made through good, old-fashioned, heterosexual intercourse.

Good heavens, a Utah gay!  I never knew one existed.  You must live in the remote mountains, preying on wounded cowboys and the like.  You sick bastard.

Anyway, back to gays.  Nothing against them, but I hate them.  I mean seriously.  You see homosexuality in the animal kingdom, but only when there's no mates around or when the animal is so pathetic that it can't get anything else.  Come on, a good Utah girl can't be hard to find.  Now why don't you stop playing your silly grab-ass games and go settle down?
That was probably the hardest I ever laughed reading something on the forum.  I saw "Gay Marriage Comes to CA" and last post by Vander Blubb and knew something hilarious was coming
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 08:24:23 AM »

Good heavens, a Utah gay!  I never knew one existed.  You must live in the remote mountains, preying on wounded cowboys and the like.  You sick bastard.

Anyway, back to gays.  Nothing against them, but I hate them.  I mean seriously.  You see homosexuality in the animal kingdom, but only when there's no mates around or when the animal is so pathetic that it can't get anything else.  Come on, a good Utah girl can't be hard to find.  Now why don't you stop playing your silly grab-ass games and go settle down?
That was probably the hardest I ever laughed reading something on the forum.  I saw "Gay Marriage Comes to CA" and last post by Vander Blubb and knew something hilarious was coming

Well looky here!  The forum trash dun come out of the woodwork!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »

Rhode Island, New Mexico or New York are IMO the most likely. All three recognize out-of-state marriages but have no civil union provisions of their own. Hawaii (where the legal debate started in 1996) is also possible, as they grant some rights but not equal rights.

Other than those, states with statutes similar to the one in California which could have a court ruling overturn them include Illinois, Florida, Maryland, Delaware, Minnesota, Iowa and Arizona. Plus some states where I think such a ruling would be highly unlikely (or else would be likely to be overturned by an amendment to the state constitution).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies