Mehico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mehico
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mehico  (Read 1988 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »

Yes by the way that is a joke and this a thread where we can discuss Mexico.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »

It'd be 220+ electoral votes for the US if it were states. 220+ solid democrat electoral votes that is.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24:45 AM »

It'd be 220+ electoral votes for the US if it were states. 220+ solid democrat electoral votes that is.
History would have gone quite differently if Mexico had joined the US, making such assumptions rather doubtful
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »

Obviously it would have but I'm talking about adding it now.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »

How are Calderon's approval ratings btw?
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

Quite good. The latest poll I can find (May 25) gives him an approval of 64% and a disapproval of 26%.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »

I don't think some of the northern PAN-voting states would be solid Democrat.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »

The GOP is currently the party of protestant supremacy so not even the north would vote GOP under current coalitions. Course, adding in Mexico would break the current coalitions so... things get interesting.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »

The GOP is currently the party of protestant supremacy so not even the north would vote GOP under current coalitions. Course, adding in Mexico would break the current coalitions so... things get interesting.
For example a "Kick out Mexico" party will likely develop and gain a significant following soon.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »

Care to substantiate that statement?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »

Quite good. The latest poll I can find (May 25) gives him an approval of 64% and a disapproval of 26%.

Interesting. I would've thought they would be a bit lower.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »

Interesting. I would've thought they would be a bit lower.
Most people in Mexico like his attitudes against the drug cartels and he hasn't done anything controversial so it makes sense.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »

Gladly. The GOP's social policy is based on protestant supremacy hence their following the religious right line. They'll either start to drop the policy of attacking non-protestants or see electoral irrelevance in the long run.

For example a "Kick out Mexico" party will likely develop and gain a significant following soon.
Disagree. The GOP's slow move towards populism will make them more appealing to socially conservative mexicans in the long run. The democrats, of course will appeal to the more liberal mexicans. Not much room for a 'kick out mexico' party to be anything but a tiny fringe movement only notable in 1-2 elections.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 06:55:08 PM »

Gladly. The GOP's social policy is based on protestant supremacy hence their following the religious right line. They'll either start to drop the policy of attacking non-protestants or see electoral irrelevance in the long run.
Considering that modern American conservatism was basically founded by a Roman Catholic (William F. Buckley), I find that statement rather ironic and deeply ignorant. The social ideals of conservative Catholics and the Protestants you label the "religious right" are virtually identical. As a Catholic, I have yet to feel "attacked" by any current non-fringe GOP politican.

And regarding the fortunes of the Republican Party in Mexico, I think if they emphasized social issues in the Mexican north, they could win a few states. Are there significant differences in social issues betwixt mainstream Republicans and the PAN?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:50 PM »

US catholics are culturally more or less protestant in their norms and values so my point still  stands. You want real catholics look at latin america or at western Europe(for examples of actual lapsed catholics Tongue).
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »

Northern mexican conservatism is I believe more economic than social so I'm not entirely sure the current GOP strategy of focusing on social issues('All White jesus all the time!') is going to help there.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »

US catholics are culturally more or less protestant in their norms and values so my point still  stands. You want real catholics look at latin america or at western Europe(for examples of actual lapsed catholics Tongue).
What are you Catholic? Being Catholic isn't a good thing by the way and generally protestantism is loads more accepting than Catholics.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »

I'm agnostic but have noticed that catholics are significantly less prone to fundamentalism(in the modern era) than catholics.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2008, 08:51:30 PM by Daniel Adams »

If anything, Latin American Catholics are even more conservative. Abortion and gay marriage, for example, are not even part of the political conciousness in many Latin American nations. Wstern Europe is an entirely different matter, of course.

Northern mexican conservatism is I believe more economic than social so I'm not entirely sure the current GOP strategy of focusing on social issues('All White jesus all the time!') is going to help there.
I do not claim to be a expert on Mexican politics so I'm going out on a limb here, but the PAN is a Christian Democratic party rather than a conservative one in the American sense. As I understand it, Christian Democrats are much more populistic economically and skeptical of classical liberalism then it "hurts the poor" (reminds me somewhat of the Huckabee wing of the GOP). In fact, the Wikipedia article (not a reliable source, I know, but still) puts a lot more emphasis on the social conservatism of the PAN than on their economic policy.

I'm agnostic but have noticed that catholics are significantly less prone to fundamentalism(in the modern era) than catholics.
Assuming you meant to type than Protestants, certainly not in rural Latin America...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 07:23:33 PM »

heh?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »

No
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies