City Hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 02:58:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  City Hall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: City Hall  (Read 76393 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2008, 12:29:43 AM »

Just a note:

According to my history, Mayor Jan Janszoon built the cathedral in 1715 after razing the old one in Twee Banken.

Wait, I thought the old one was destroyed in the war... still, what's your point?

Just the date 1715.

*Scratches head*

Oooookay... aaaannnnd?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2008, 12:33:11 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2008, 12:35:15 AM by Supersoulty »

The Cathedral I chose is actually the Cathedral Church of the Archdiocese of Melbourne, Australia... its done in a fairly generic Gothic revival style.  Which is why I picked it, I thought it was "plain" enough to pass as a Dutch church from that period... or really almost any period.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »

I mean, I could have picked St. Peter's in Erie, PA, or St. Paul's in Pittsburgh and it still would have been the same story.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:48 AM »

Just a note:

According to my history, Mayor Jan Janszoon built the cathedral in 1715 after razing the old one in Twee Banken.

Wait, I thought the old one was destroyed in the war... still, what's your point?

Just the date 1715.

*Scratches head*

Oooookay... aaaannnnd?

For the ward history.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:01 AM »

Just a note:

Just the date 1715.

*Scratches head*

Oooookay... aaaannnnd?

For the ward history.

Oh, I see.  I thought you were pointing out a mistake I made of some kind.  My bad.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »

any chance I can join this?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2008, 01:27:08 PM »

Yes, but it'll have to be in some other position.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »

Can someone show me how it works?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »

Most info is on the first page of this thread. If you really want to, read through the whole thread for extra stuff.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »

Is XIV - GOP taken?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »

All are taken, but TN2024 who took XIV hasn't posted the required information yet and failed to show more interest afterwards. I suppose you could take it if he doesn't come back to claim it and takes interest in this.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #286 on: July 05, 2008, 04:27:17 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2008, 06:13:33 PM by aussieboy »

Is this OK?

XIV – Alexandradorp (If I can rename it)

Formerly a small farming village annexed in the 1930’s, the area was lightly suburbanized after the Second World War, providing affordable housing to upper-working class families, though most of the area remained rural until the 1980’s, when local officials allowed private developers to build some middle-class suburban tracts, in a very controversial move. The area captures a sense of petty-bourgeois conservatism and sleepiness – as some from deeper within the city note jocularly, Alexandradorp is “the place where dreams go to die”. The area sports a small immigrant community, mostly South-East Asians of the middle classes.

Notable landmarks include the Ooitmuurskerk, a small church which was known for changing hands between denominations frequently over the centuries (it is currently a Catholic parish church), and the Huisen Palace, towards the southern boundary of the ward, which served until 1900 as the country estate of the Royal Family.

A picture of the newer post 1980 suburban area, from the north.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2008, 04:56:52 PM »

Is this OK?

Formerly a small farming village annexed in the 1930’s, the area was lightly suburbanized after the Second World War, providing affordable housing to upper-working class families, though most of the area remained rural until the 1980’s, when local officials allowed private developers to build some middle-class suburban tracts, in a very controversial move. The area captures a sense of petty-bourgeois conservatism and sleepiness – as some from deeper within the city note jocularly, Alexandradorp is “the place where dreams go to die”. The area sports a small immigrant community, mostly South-East Asians of the middle classes.

Notable landmarks include the Ooitmuurskerk, a small church which was known for changing hands between denominations frequently (it is currently a Catholic parish church), and the Huisen Palace, towards the southern boundary of the ward, which served until 1900 as the country estate of the Royal Family.

I see no problem.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2008, 05:07:55 PM »

Transportation
Public Works (Catch all - also deals with the mundane, like refuse collection)
Planning and Development
Welfare and Housing
Business and Enterprise (working closely with Planning and Development)

I'll sign up for Transportation, Planning/Development, and Business/Enterprise
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »

Supersoulty. one of your pics looks like it's in Amsterdam. It's interesting your district has a Dutch theme park in it, surrounded by things that look just so British. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »

Supersoulty. one of your pics looks like it's in Amsterdam. It's interesting your district has a Dutch theme park in it, surrounded by things that look just so British. Smiley

Quiet, you....
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2008, 05:36:50 PM »

Is this OK?

Notable landmarks include the Ooitmuurskerk, a small church which was known for changing hands between denominations frequently over the centuries (it is currently a Catholic parish church), and the Huisen Palace, towards the southern boundary of the ward, which served until 1900 as the country estate of the Royal Family.

Hot, damn.  Those are some of the tallest mountains I have ever seen in the Netherlands.

Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »

BTW, I think only one of those photos, the one of the Georgian Row houses, is actually British.

As I said earlier, the Cathedral is in Australia, and that could really be a Gothic style Cathedral from anywhere.

The "Central Library" is actually the Landmark Center in St. Paul Minnesota, and it really has a kinda standard northern European renaissance design.

The "Huber Art Museum" is really the Second National Bank, in Philadelphia... I can see how it might look vaguely British, but again, you could see a building like that in France or Germany as well.

The more recent housing photo is from Frankfurt, Germany.

The one of the Victorian housing and shops is actually the South Side, in Pittsburgh.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »

Is this OK?

Hot, damn.  Those are some of the tallest mountains I have ever seen in the Netherlands.

Wink

I'm trying to go for an Americanized look, so I picked my own home town. Is it my fault if God Almighty put the San Bernardino Mountains? Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »

This city won't be American looking, atleast from what I think.
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »

This city won't be American looking, atleast from what I think.

Is the new one better?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »

yes
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #297 on: July 05, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

Let's get this started.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »

Yeah... so what's up guys?  Are we gonna get this thing moving?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »

Yeah - what's the go?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to: