City Hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  City Hall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: City Hall  (Read 76287 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »

We are now opening nominations for Mayor. Anyone can nominate a council member. All nominations must be seconded by one person other than the nominee (two, if a self-nomination). This stage shall last 72 hours.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »

Afleitch
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2008, 01:53:30 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2008, 01:56:28 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

We are now opening nominations for Mayor. Anyone can nominate a council member. All nominations must be seconded by one person other than the nominee (two, if a self-nomination). This stage shall last 72 hours.

Uhh...Xahar. At least two people, myself and someone else, have already stated that they are running for the post about 5 pages ago. Also who died and made you king? Your mommy might tell you you're special but I'd rather have afleitch have the honours of starting this up if he wants, he did create it after all. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »

Uhh...Xahar. At least two people, myself and someone else, have already stated that they are running for the post about 5 pages ago. Also who died and made you king? Your mommy might tell you you're special but I'd rather have afleitch have the honours of starting this up if he wants, he did create it after all. Wink

That was the reason I waited so long. But nothing's happened, so I figured I might as well get it moving.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »

Andrew's awau for the week.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #305 on: July 10, 2008, 03:13:06 PM »

OK. (A thread would've been nice.)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #306 on: July 10, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

Should we migrate of an offsite forum? It will get very confusing if we have one thread.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2008, 01:13:24 AM »

Should we migrate of an offsite forum? It will get very confusing if we have one thread.

We could start multiple threads.  I would rather keep everything on this site.  I would feel less motivated to show up at another forum.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2008, 07:26:53 AM »

We could start multiple threads.  I would rather keep everything on this site.  I would feel less motivated to show up at another forum.

^^^
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #309 on: July 11, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »

I, aussieboy, announce my candidacy for Mayor under the Katholieke Unie banner.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #310 on: July 22, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »

Cric... no. actually. don't mention cricket. bad. bad. bad. Sad Sad Sad all is pain...
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »

C'mon people. Let's get this party STARTED! Especially my political party...Smiley

(No. I'm not running for mayor. Can we just be a bit more active than the dinosaurs?)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »

C'mon people. Let's get this party STARTED! Especially my political party...Smiley

(No. I'm not running for mayor. Can we just be a bit more active than the dinosaurs?)

Agreed.

But I wasn't aware of any parties of yours. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »

Crickets continue to chirp. A shame really.

Andrew; be this dead? Because if it is, I'll setup something else based on the same general idea though in a different imagined city.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2008, 01:38:41 PM »

Crickets continue to chirp. A shame really.

Andrew; be this dead? Because if it is, I'll setup something else based on the same general idea though in a different imagined city.

I hope not. But the truth is I hit a brick wall as so often happens when I let things go and try to let them sail under their own steam. It just seems to work on paper only. Sad Any ideas would be helpful. What's your idea Al? I certainly wouldn't mind cannibalising this...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #315 on: August 11, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »

What's your idea Al? I certainly wouldn't mind cannibalising this...

The city itself would be quite different (based very loosely around Birmingham and the western half of "Sandwell"... perhaps Solihull as well), though with interesting elements from other cities also) and the starting point of the game would be a large (and resented by the places being absorbed) expansion of city limits. So you'd have a (at least) three-way conflict of interest on the council between the inner city, the better off suburbs and the old manufacturing towns (with none of the three strong enough to totally dominate). An ethnic element could be added as well. I'd also head down the route of making people adopt or invent characters, while also having various NPC roles. Various forms of corruption would be endemic, obviously, though the sort of corruption would depend on the sort of character. And so on.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #316 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »

What's your idea Al? I certainly wouldn't mind cannibalising this...

The city itself would be quite different (based very loosely around Birmingham and the western half of "Sandwell"... perhaps Solihull as well), though with interesting elements from other cities also) and the starting point of the game would be a large (and resented by the places being absorbed) expansion of city limits. So you'd have a (at least) three-way conflict of interest on the council between the inner city, the better off suburbs and the old manufacturing towns (with none of the three strong enough to totally dominate). An ethnic element could be added as well. I'd also head down the route of making people adopt or invent characters, while also having various NPC roles. Various forms of corruption would be endemic, obviously, though the sort of corruption would depend on the sort of character. And so on.

Interesting (sees potential to ram the Glasgow experience into that) You could rewind the clock a bit to the 50's/60's and have the old Victorian city the subject of the great post-war planning experiment, Though it would mean people having to intentionally make what would later be mistakes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #317 on: August 11, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

You could rewind the clock a bit to the 50's/60's and have the old Victorian city the subject of the great post-war planning experiment,

Tempting. Yes. Very tempting. And, of course, doing that means that the ethnic element can be suddenly injected into the game, upsetting the balance of things in the way it did (and does in real life).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes... but I think that that should be fairly easy when issues are presented in a certain way (ie; building houses quickly = vote winner).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »

You could rewind the clock a bit to the 50's/60's and have the old Victorian city the subject of the great post-war planning experiment,

Tempting. Yes. Very tempting. And, of course, doing that means that the ethnic element can be suddenly injected into the game, upsetting the balance of things in the way it did (and does in real life).

Yes... but I think that that should be fairly easy when issues are presented in a certain way (ie; building houses quickly = vote winner).

In Glasgow it has emerged that some councillors of a certain political persuasion Wink were able to manipulate planning laws and build say 2 stonking working class tower blocs on spare land in Glasgow suburbia. Their marginal ward became safer..and safer still as suburbia uprooted and moved away (read - Cathcart) That would be an interesting angle.

As for the race issue, most forumites are sound enough to 'play' petty racists in a game like this. Besides decisions made based on race were rarely in public or on paper recorded as such. And of course if you're basing it on Birmingham expect little Powellites to pop up at some point...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »

In Glasgow it has emerged that some councillors of a certain political persuasion Wink were able to manipulate planning laws and build say 2 stonking working class tower blocs on spare land in Glasgow suburbia. Their marginal ward became safer..and safer still as suburbia uprooted and moved away (read - Cathcart)

lol

Not surprising at all, but amusing despite that.

Yes... yes... it would...

The curious thing about Brum is that many of those people were members of the Liberal Party (grouped around "Governor" Wallace Lawler).

Anyway, I might go off and doodle a few test maps or something now.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »

Have you settled on a name? That's what stalled mine from the start Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »

Tempted to go with Chamberlain, but I'm not sure if everyone would get the joke... Arden seems possible though. Could add a generic place name ending to that; Ardensley, Ardenby, Ardenham, Ardenton, etc.

A (very) rough map of the city just to get a feel for things...

Map just shows the boundaries of the city, plus those of the boroughs that it's about to swallow up (much to the anger of people in those three boroughs). It also shows the location of the CBD and the "inner city". It's obviously like Brum, but isn't quite...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2008, 05:44:33 PM »

Tempted to go with Chamberlain, but I'm not sure if everyone would get the joke... Arden seems possible though. Could add a generic place name ending to that; Ardensley, Ardenby, Ardenham, Ardenton, etc.

A (very) rough map of the city just to get a feel for things...

Map just shows the boundaries of the city, plus those of the boroughs that it's about to swallow up (much to the anger of people in those three boroughs). It also shows the location of the CBD and the "inner city". It's obviously like Brum, but isn't quite...

Yeah, I can see the resemblance Smiley And Chamberlain would be a good name though it may prompt the need for say Gisella Park or something Wink It makes it easier of course when it comes to the feel of the city. If it's the same layout as Birmingham, I could live in the blue bit, but that might be too much even for me. The south part of the city proper would probably be more to my liking.

There's something, stable about Birmingham style politics (stable is really not the right word but I think you know what I'm getting at) I notice it doesn't have a 'Solihull' - it might be worthwhile addition, unless that can be included elsewhere within the map.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #323 on: August 12, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »

Yeah, I can see the resemblance Smiley And Chamberlain would be a good name though it may prompt the need for say Gisella Park or something Wink It makes it easier of course when it comes to the feel of the city. If it's the same layout as Birmingham, I could live in the blue bit, but that might be too much even for me. The south part of the city proper would probably be more to my liking.

I would have thought more inner south, than outer south. Outer south is mostly white flight suburbia.

There's a curious stability that comes from instability. A certain party is in power most of the time, but always loses office when it happens to be in power nationally. And most wards are competitive except in exceptional years (a '68 or a '95). And the main strongholds of the respective parties tend to stay the same for ages.

It will be included it's just a matter of working out where to draw the line, so to speak. I'm not sure how far out into darkest suburbia the boundary should go, and I'm not sure whether to include a "Chelmsley Wood" or not... no... that's stupid. Chelmsley Wood is a '60's estate. Aha...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #324 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

One does wonder if people in the 1950's honestly didn't think that rapid exodus from the cities wasn't going to cause a whole host of problems for everyone.  Did they honestly think it was going to make things better? (Clearly they did, but I wonder how this logic came about)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies