WTF is a "family value?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:13:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  WTF is a "family value?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WTF is a "family value?"  (Read 1693 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »

The term "family values" is a code for conservative Christian values. Many liberal values (helping the poor, anti-war, equal pay for equal work, free speech, etc.) could also be seen as values issues.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »

I would say that "keeping the house" is a family value.  "Having a secure job with a steady paycheck to support the kids" is a family value.  "Good paying jobs with good benefits such as paid vacations so families can spend quality time together" is a family value...

You don't create family values by legislating out of Leviticus... you do so by fostering an environment where families can be secure and out of poverty..

It never has escaped me that the states that vote "family values" are the ones with the most broken families... and also the ones with the most poverty.  Hmmm....
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »

I would say that "keeping the house" is a family value.  "Having a secure job with a steady paycheck to support the kids" is a family value.  "Good paying jobs with good benefits such as paid vacations so families can spend quality time together" is a family value...

You don't create family values by legislating out of Leviticus... you do so by fostering an environment where families can be secure and out of poverty..

It never has escaped me that the states that vote "family values" are the ones with the most broken families... and also the ones with the most poverty.  Hmmm....

Very well said. I don't think I can add much more.

Universal health care, improving access to and the quality of public education, researching and developing alternative energy sources, protecting the environment, ending senseless wars etc. are certainly all family values. And the irony of it all is that doing all of the above things would do a much better job of solving the problems that "values voters" want solved than doing things like throwing people in jail for having an abortion, banning any talk of sex in school, or making it illegal for people who love each other and want to form a family to do so would ever do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 11:57:06 PM »

In america, fascist/religious code word. 

In Sweden, it means that families and children are supplied with every possible need and their health, well being, and development assured by the government, paid for through taxation, primarily, of the parasitic class.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »

My definition of family values:

People living together with other people who love them and will take care of them.

that sounds pretty gay
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 12:25:20 AM »

It's a term like "patriotism" or "conservatism" that has lost all of its original meaning.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 12:25:48 AM »

Helping families out of poverty. To me, at least.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies