WTF is a "Community Organizer"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:35:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  WTF is a "Community Organizer"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WTF is a "Community Organizer"?  (Read 3439 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »

Does "Community Organizer" > War hero?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »

Sure, in Scrabble.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »

I don't see any relevance. Can somebody explain it to me?

According to your math, does "war hero" automatically = good president?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »

The thread "Isn't it Sad" has been up for more than 12 hours so it was time to post a duplicate.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »

War Hero does not necessarily equal a good President.  However, I'm not sure if being a "Community organizer" could get one a job as an assistant fry cook at McDonalds, let alone President of the United States.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »

War Hero does not necessarily equal a good President.  However, I'm not sure if being a "Community organizer" could get one a job as an assistant fry cook at McDonalds, let alone President of the United States.

To be honest, I don't think McDonalds will care if you fought in a war either.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »

To be honest, I don't think McDonalds will care if you fought in a war either.

They might.  Military service is generally a selling point on a resume.

But seriously, "community organizer" is not a something I'd emphasize.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »

Seven posts on this thread and no one can seem to identify what a Community Organizer is, yet it - along with voting abstaining on loietering laws in the Illinois legislature - is enough to make a man the leader of the free world?

Wow, just wow.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

To be honest I don't really see how being tortured by the Vietcong has anything to do with becoming leader of the free world either.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »

Seven posts on this thread and no one can seem to identify what a Community Organizer is, yet it - along with voting abstaining on loietering laws in the Illinois legislature - is enough to make a man the leader of the free world?

Wow, just wow.

The point of this thread is to make a political point that has been already done to death - that McCain has more experience than Obama does. Everyone here already understands this. If you actually cared about what a community organizer is/does (I honestly don't know), you could easily look it up on Wikipedia where you would receive a far more comprehensive definition than from anyone on here.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »

To be honest I don't really see how being tortured by the Vietcong has anything to do with becoming leader of the free world either.

In and of itself, it doesn't.  When you add it to a long record of service to his country and his record of bipartisan leadership in the Senate, it does.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »

HOLY SH!T

GULLY MAKES A GREAT POINT. IT'S A MIRACLE!
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »

If you actually cared about what a community organizer is/does (I honestly don't know)

+10 points for having the balls to admit you don't know what qualifies Obama to be President.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

A "community activist" focused more on general welfare issues than on a political agenda.  What else would it mean?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 01:24:00 AM by My friends and I, we're all f***ed on the inside »

If you actually cared about what a community organizer is/does (I honestly don't know)

+10 points for having the balls to admit you don't know what qualifies Obama to be President.

He's a great speaker who isn't a warmonger, a murderer, a thug, and a war criminal.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »

Dude, I really don't care who wins this election (nor have I ever defended Obama on the basis of being "experienced"). I follow it mostly for the horse-race. But I'm sure in the near future there will be an election where the GOP nominates an "inexperienced" rising star and the Democrats nominate someone with 20+ years of federal legislative experience (i.e. 2000). Then the Democrats will play the "he's too inexperienced" game and you guys will play the "swiftboating, moral values, etc." game. So, this whole thing is retarded.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »

When I think "community organizer," I think of that annoying girl I used to know who just a little bit too into her condo association.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2008, 01:53:41 PM by Beet »

Community organizing

There are a lot of job titles that most people probably aren't too familiar with. How many people know what a 'consultant', a 'producer' or a 'developer' do? Not everyone can be a firefighter.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »

When I think "community organizer," I think of that annoying girl I used to know who just a little bit too into her condo association.

LOL!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

HOLY SH!T

GULLY MAKES A GREAT POINT. IT'S A MIRACLE!

I aim to please.

Its actually funny to hear Republicans bang on about what a war hero John McCain is and how this automatically should make him president. I think it reminds me of someone.... I can't quite recall...

Oh yes...

Do you think that Obama has someone high up in his campaign ready to dig dirt on McCain's Military history (Did they really torture him? Or maybe they held in a hotel for the entire time so they could train and plant him into his new role of American Politician.. OMG VIETCONG TAKEOVER!!!111 MCCAIN HATES AMERIKKKA!!1111111) should something be "revealed" no doubt the republicans will react as they did during swift boat and admire the democratic system of debate where things are openly discussed in public and where pros and cons can neutrally held on FOX news.

That or they could desperate and hide their political weakness by latching onto inane and silly things which have nothing to do with the election, like the term "Community Organizer". You just never know.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 02:00:02 PM »

So are TBN televangelists... that's what Obama reminds me most of.

No, he's not Bill Clinton.

or John Kerry.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »

Seven posts on this thread and no one can seem to identify what a Community Organizer is, yet it

Oh, that's easy enough. It's someone who mobilizes individuals within a community to engage political institutions to respond to the community's needs. It's done through voter registration, identification, and canvassing, through contacting representatives, and by crafting a targeted media and lobbying message that clearly identifies goals and seeks to have them fulfilled by elected and appointed officials.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »

I think of people who want the government to do something for them, either because it's already doing it for other people, or because there's a problem that needs to be addressed and institutions aren't doing anything about it. It can be about improving mass transit, providing senior housing, improving street lighting, getting traffic patterns fixed to ease traffic, reducing crime, any number of issues. It's bigger in the cities because you have more of a disconnect between people and their government and a lot of externalities that get foisted on communities with little power. You find this out when you are part of gentrifying a community that has massive air pollution from the interstate highway and 8 commuter rail lines running through the city and only one subway station within city limits, everything else requiring bus service.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »

Both are equally irrelevant. It's the issues that matter. Are you upset that McCain is getting his ass kicked in the polls right now? It sure seems like it. Let's not be bitter now. McCain can still turn this around. He'll have to run further away from his party of course though.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »

'community organizer' is just the sanitized term for poverty pimp.

and it has the added benefit of making handwringers feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies