Will gay marriage be a major issue in the 2008 presidential election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:46:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Will gay marriage be a major issue in the 2008 presidential election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: How big an issue will gay marriage be in the 2008 presidential election?
yes, a major issue

a minor issue

not an issue

don't know/not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Will gay marriage be a major issue in the 2008 presidential election?  (Read 8549 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »

In 2004, many were surprised by the degree of backlash against gay marriage. It may indeed have been the final nail in the coffin of the kerry campaign. Across the country, voters turned out to vote for Republicans because they percieved them to be superior on "moral values."

In 2006 however, gay marriage was a minor issue, and in Arizona, an anti-gay marriage ballot initiative actually failed. In Virginia, the gay marriage referendum was supposed to be George Allen's insurance policy, and we all know how that turned out.

In 2006, the Foley Scandal neutralized the GOP's ability to use gay panic to scare up votes. Also, the war in Iraq was widely seen as a failure and Bush's approval ratings had plummeted to below 30%, whereas in 2004 the economy was fairly good, the War in Iraq was seen as a success or at least "worth it" by most people, so people felt free to vote based on moral issues.

However, California legalized gay marriage this year. While that will have no actual implications outside of that state, as the judges arrived at their decision using the California consitution, the conservative bogeymen of activist judges and radical gay activists might again be used to motivate social conservatives to vote. However, gay marriage isn't seen as extreme or out there as it was in the 90s and early 2000s. So I ask, will gay marriage be a major issue in this campaign?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »

Republicans will try using it to mobilize people but it won't work quite as well as it did in 2004.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »

A very minor issue, and McCain cannot exploit it nearly as well as a Bush or a Huckabee could have.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:04:21 PM »

A very minor issue, and McCain cannot exploit it nearly as well as a Bush or a Huckabee could have.

Agree....although a smile still comes to my face when I think of how hugely it was shot down in 2004.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »

Agree....although a smile still comes to my face when I think of how hugely it was shot down in 2004.

Why do you oppose equal rights for gays?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »

Marriage isn't a right. I do, however, support civil unions so don't tell me I'm not for "equal rights" for gays.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »

Marriage isn't a right. I do, however, support civil unions so don't tell me I'm not for "equal rights" for gays.

Unless you support everyone getting civil unions(and leaving marriage soley for churches to handle with no state presence), your position still opposes gay rights. It may be more moderate and a good start but it's still anti-gay rights.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

Unless you support everyone getting civil unions(and leaving marriage soley for churches to handle with no state presence), your position still opposes gay rights. It may be more moderate and a good start but it's still anti-gay rights.

Oh darn. I guess I'm against gay rights then.

By the way, marriage still isn't a right.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »

Oh darn. I guess I'm against gay rights then.

By the way, marriage still isn't a right.

The constitution guarentees equal rights for citizens. If heterosexuals can get marriage benefits why not homosexuals?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »

The constitution guarentees equal rights for citizens. If heterosexuals can get marriage benefits why not homosexuals?

That's why I support civil unions. I don't want and we shouldn't expect to make the institution itself a right just because the government recognizes it.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:34:30 PM »

Would you be okay with leaving marriage entirely for churches to handle and having everyone get civil unions via the state(they can get a church ceremony afterwards)?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

Would you be okay with leaving marriage entirely for churches to handle and having everyone get civil unions via the state(they can get a church ceremony afterwards)?

I still don't have a problem with the government recognizing marriage. I guess this is the "anti gay equality" in me.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 08:37:39 PM »

So you're against a simple reform which would more or less end political bickering over gay marriage by moving the question of recognizing gay marriage to the churches?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »

I still don't have a problem with the government recognizing marriage. I guess this is the "anti gay equality" in me.

Sounds like it.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:36 PM »

Sounds like it.

He needs to realize that America isn't only a christian nation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »

So you're against a simple reform which would more or less end political bickering over gay marriage by moving the question of recognizing gay marriage to the churches?

Uh, I want to end it by favoring civil unions.

Sounds like it.

He needs to realize that America isn't only a christian nation.

Give me a break. Seriously. If I thought that was the case then I wouldn't even support civil unions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »

How would civil unions end this issue where the government is still explicitly identifying one type of relationship as "superior"?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

How would civil unions end this issue where the government is still explicitly identifying one type of relationship as "superior"?

So you're not even happy with extending every other marriage benefit to gays? Unbelievable. It's not a matter of "superiority."
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:37 PM »

It wouldn't.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »

So you're not even happy with extending every other marriage benefit to gays? Unbelievable. It's not a matter of "superiority."

What is it a matter of? The "game" of capture the word?  Why is that important?  Some say it is important precisely because it does serve as a little dig at "the other." If it is not that, than what is it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

It wouldn't.

Oh, ok. You win!

Only on this forum can someone be in support of civil unions and still be considered "anti gay." Nothing is good enough.

What is it a matter of? The "game" of capture the word?  Why is that important?  Some say it is important precisely because it does serve as a little dig at "the other." If it is not that, than what is it?

It's a matter of respecting the institutions that have traditionally decided marriage. I'm not comfortable with the government deciding to expand the boundaries of marriage. If my support for civil unions isn't good enough, whatever.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »

Note how my proposal involved having the churches decide what marriage is and left all the administrative/benefits related to it to civil unions.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2008, 09:14:26 PM by Torie »

I am not sure you have answered my question. If all substance has been drained out of the matter, other than the use of the word "marriage," as nomenclature that is used in the civil law, why is that so important? Tradition? And why if that is the case, why should that in and of itself be the policy trump card here?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »

Give it 10 or so years and the debate will be civil unions vs gay marriage.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »

Give it 10 or so years and the debate will be civil unions vs gay marriage.

Civil unions are pretty accepted now, although the issue of extending federal benefits to those bound by a "mere" civil union, will be a firefight. But that is not Phil's point here. He's "conceding" the fiscal issue. It is the use of the term, in and of itself, without more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies