Rasmussen Tracking Poll [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:40:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Rasmussen Tracking Poll [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 75
Author Topic: Rasmussen Tracking Poll [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 501621 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 02, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »

While there isn't a weekend Obama bounce in Rasmussen, there might have been something related to Gustav.  You had 4 Republican states (probably close to 10% of the US population) where there was a lot evacuations due to to Gustav; that alone could account for it.

oh thats a relief. glad to see everything is a-okay in mccain land. nothing bad ever happens there.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #551 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:01 AM »

While there isn't a weekend Obama bounce in Rasmussen, there might have been something related to Gustav.  You had 4 Republican states (probably close to 10% of the US population) where there was a lot evacuations due to to Gustav; that alone could account for it.

I doubt more than 1% of the country's population (3 million) evacuated their homes, and certainly no more than 2%.

You also have phone lines down, people away from their phones getting supplies, people not responding because they are watch hurricane coverage.  Part of that is why M-D won't poll FL after a hurricane.  If we should get one in the NE, you might see an Obama drop (and we might).
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #552 on: September 02, 2008, 10:20:33 AM »

I doubt more than 1% of the country's population (3 million) evacuated their homes, and certainly no more than 2%.

You also have phone lines down, people away from their phones getting supplies, people not responding because they are watch hurricane coverage.  Part of that is why M-D won't poll FL after a hurricane.  If we should get one in the NE, you might see an Obama drop (and we might).

I think you're clutching at straws.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #553 on: September 02, 2008, 10:21:33 AM »

I think you're clutching at straws.

I agree.  The reasonable analysis is mine, regardless of which side you take, imho. (not to brag too much  Tongue)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #554 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »

oh thats a relief. glad to see everything is a-okay in mccain land. nothing bad ever happens there.

No, but follows my corolary to JJ's First Rule, never trust one poll.  

One thing that it probably isn't is a weekend bounce for Obama, since that doesn't Occur on Rasmussen.  Do to the timing, it probably isn't a Bristol bounce.

BTW:  I said the same thing after the Biden slump; it took me about 2-4 days of bad polling before I said there was a problem.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #555 on: September 02, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

Palin poll numbers done yesterday.  About what I expected to see - still favorable views of her (52-36), but partisanship growing.  Women less favorable, men about the same, if not more (go figure) - proves my theory again! Tongue

Henceforth, the conclusion can clearly be made that the speech is very important.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/52_still_have_favorable_view_of_palin_but_partisan_gap_widens
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #556 on: September 02, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »

Note that her ready to be President numbers have dropped substantially from Friday. Now its 48%-29% no, a 19 point deficit compared to a 2% one on Friday. That is the number that is going to drive the McCain-Obama numbers, not Palin's favorables. People seem to view her as a nice lady who is maybe a bit too busy to be Vice President.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #557 on: September 02, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »

Note that her ready to be President numbers have dropped substantially from Friday. Now its 48%-29% no, a 19 point deficit compared to a 2% one on Friday. That is the number that is going to drive the McCain-Obama numbers, not Palin's favorables. People seem to view her as a nice lady who is maybe a bit too busy to be Vice President.

Be careful.  It does not necessarily follow that because someone is unready to be president that they are also unready to be vice president.  It would be hard for her favorables to be as high as they are if people didn't want her serving in any capacity.

Count me as one of the 48 percent who doesn't want her as president but thinks she'd do a fine job at being number two.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #558 on: September 02, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »

Be careful.  It does not necessarily follow that because someone is unready to be president that they are also unready to be vice president.  It would be hard for her favorables to be as high as they are if people didn't want her serving in any capacity.

Count me as one of the 48 percent who doesn't want her as president but thinks she'd do a fine job at being number two.

The capcity they may want her serving in is as Governor of Alaska. My parents who were McCain leaning until Friday became solid Obama because the reason they were considering McCain is because they felt Obama was inexperienced. They felt it showed impulsive judgement on his part to pick someone as VP who couldn't serve as President.

The New Republic made an interesting point yesterday. Experience is actually more important for a VP than for a Presidential Candidate. Why? Because its possible to take a risk on a President because they are likely to have at least a degree of time to get the hang of the job and may have other redeeming qualities. A VP does not have this oppurtunity because when a VP becomes President the country is by definition in crisis. The President had died or resigned in disgrace. The nation can afford a well-educated if less experienced President for the first six months of next year if he has other redeeming qualities over his opponent(as Obama may well have in the view of the electorate). If Palin takes office though, it will be because McCain was either shot or died. Is Palin prepared to take over in the middle of crisis if McCain drops dead or is killed. Is Biden? That is the question. And if not, she fails at the most basic requirement of being Vice President no matter how nice she is.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 12:10:02 PM by dantheroman »

The capacity they may want her serving in is as Governor of Alaska. My parents who were McCain leaning until Friday became solid Obama because the reason they were considering McCain is because they felt Obama was inexperienced. They felt it showed impulsive judgment on his part to pick someone as VP who couldn't serve as President. this may well be the equivalent of approve disprove numbers on Bush. Bush's favorables always stayed about ten points above his approval rating for most of his term. I think most people who were already going to vote against McCain are included in the unfavorable numbers. Anyone who otherwise was going to vote McCain but changed is probably in the "Ready to be President" numbers, even if a few are still planning to.

The New Republic made an interesting point yesterday. Experience is actually more important for a VP than for a Presidential Candidate. Why? Because its possible to take a risk on a President because they are likely to have at least a degree of time to get the hang of the job and may have other redeeming qualities. A VP does not have this oppurtunity because when a VP becomes President the country is by definition in crisis. The President had died or resigned in disgrace. The nation can afford a well-educated if less experienced President for the first six months of next year if he has other redeeming qualities over his opponent(as Obama may well have in the view of the electorate). If Palin takes office though, it will be because McCain was either shot or died. Is Palin prepared to take over in the middle of crisis if McCain drops dead or is killed. Is Biden? That is the question. And if not, she fails at the most basic requirement of being Vice President no matter how nice she is.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

Oh, of course.  That's why the VP speech is crucial.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »

Oh No, this is the end for Obama ! Tongue Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2008, 08:30:55 AM »

Wednesday - September 3, 2008:

General: Head-to-Head

Obama: 48% / 50%, including leaners (nc, -1)
McCain: 43% / 45%, including leaners (nc, nc)

Obama currently leads McCain by fourteen points among women but trails by four among men. Obama does better among those who would prefer a glass of wine than he does with beer drinkers. McCain has a huge lead among gun owners while Obama leads among households without a gun.

Favorability

Obama: 59% favorable, 40% unfavorable (+1, -1)
McCain: 56% favorable, 43% unfavorable (nc, nc)
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »

Gov. Palin speech tonight will make or break Sen. McCain.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #564 on: September 03, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »

Gov. Palin speech tonight will make or break Sen. McCain.

So will McCain's speech.  She could be brilliant, and he could blow it.

He broke up pair to draw to inside straight flush. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »

Damn... I'm liking Obama's favorables.

It also seems that Palin's appeal lies more with men than women.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »

It is likely the one-day bump on Monday was a blip because yesterday's sample must have been somewhere between Obama +2-4, maybe slightly less, to lead to this result.  That means Obama's lead will likely be 3 or less come Friday.  I also note that this sample was taken before last night's convention, undoubtedly.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »

People just give a little time, these numbers are going to go up and down. Once the RNC is over and the first debate is over then lets see the numbers.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »

What did Sam Spade tell you?  Maybe you should listen to him more often.  Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

What did Sam Spade tell you?  Maybe you should listen to him more often.  Tongue

Must have missed that one. Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2008, 11:55:58 AM »

he told me that Obama "never had a chance" to beat Clinton back in February
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #571 on: September 03, 2008, 11:58:03 AM »

Oh snap!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #572 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »

I doubt I would have said that in February.  Please provide the link.  I might have said that after New Hampshire, but it was probably taunting.  In fact, that describes a decent bit of what I did that primary.  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #573 on: September 03, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »

Must have missed that one. Tongue

Read carefully...  Smiley

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81775.msg1693682#msg1693682
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #574 on: September 03, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »

I doubt I would have said that in February.  Please provide the link.  I might have said that after New Hampshire, but it was probably taunting.  In fact, that describes a decent bit of what I did that primary.  Tongue

Obama had no chance from the moment he entered the Dem race.  Just FYI  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies